Complex Hi-Hats and Shuffles

RUSSLA

Technique
VIP Junglist
Been working hard on trying to create my own drums which isn't going too bad until I get to the hats. I've been trying to go for a liquidy style type of hat which is simple with a couple of shuffles (Netsky - Young & Foolish) but really struggling with how exactly to lay the hits down in the Piano Roll.

Just so you know I've played drums for years so am not clueless as to how to structure a drum loop, i understand velocities to mimic a ghosted, its literally just the shuffle side of things.

I have tried listening to breaks over and over to try and figure out whats going on just could do with a visual of a piano roll or similar.

Cheers, Russla

Ok so after reading the "Breaks or Sample hits" thread I think i'm trying to make more work for myself. Is using a break with a hp filter on ok to extract the hats then? Is making it sound proper with single hits a proper mission?

As a lot of guys will say, trying to get th same ambince with single hits is a lot of work. Hi passing a break is the easiest way but also look I to slicing breaks to midi and try rearranging them that way.

As a lot of guys will say, trying to get th same ambince with single hits is a lot of work. Hi passing a break is the easiest way but also look I to slicing breaks to midi and try rearranging them that way.

true, but there are ways of treating single hits as to make them gel nicely, usually reverb, saturation and/or compression on the drum buss. again, theres loads written on drum buss chains. have a look around here and on KVR. i'll try and find some links later on.

(y)

Cheers man, I will spend the evening tryin to create my own hats and shuffles. I do really wana be the sole creator of my beats where possible. If I have to use a break then I will but i think the satisfaction will be greater doing it by myself :)

i think its all really about the sound/style of tune you want.
always fresh to make your own breaks tho.

^^ Yeah man so true. The hi hats i was kinda after were like in the Netsky tune i posted :)

I love making my own drum loops. What is shown in that video that padders has posted with the feed dial on the channels, is exactly what I use to add that "shuffle" to my percussion!

Back
Top Bottom