Complete Beginner!

Alexi

Drench Audio
VIP Junglist
alrite, i just bought my first decks off ebay and a load of vinyl to go with it after lovin my usb mixer where a double drop could be done with the touch of a button lol

I've set it all up and just rinsed the tunes
but now i'm guna try mixing and i've read the other posts and watched youtube lessons bout pitch control and beatmatchin, but does anyone have any tips and tricks that can get me going properly, wud b much appriciated, cheers

Don't know what else to say but PRACTICE loads till you feel like ya hands are gonna fall off lol!

Just keep workin at it and eventually you will nail it!

Last edited:
cheers, looks like i wont be comin outta the house for a few months lol

haha least u live near a record shop i fucking hate going all the way 2 tripp 2 and lugging vinyl bac on the train 2 winch lol remeber practice makes perfect :D lol start mixing simple tunes nice easy tunes ich ae simple 2 beat match and everythink once u can manage them start mixing anythink and u wont b that bad and keep on practising and c how it goes basically !!

i have to get a bus to get vinyl and it takes about an hour to get there thn when i get back il get some cunt come upto me tryin 2 mug me thts the annoying thing about living in feltham

haha least u live near a record shop i fucking hate going all the way 2 tripp 2 and lugging vinyl bac on the train 2 winch lol remeber practice makes perfect :D lol start mixing simple tunes nice easy tunes ich ae simple 2 beat match and everythink once u can manage them start mixing anythink and u wont b that bad and keep on practising and c how it goes basically !!

yh trip 2's still a £1.70 train away lol, but had ma decks 2 days so aint gone on a visist there yet, i'm surprised dere aint newhere in winchester

soz bout this, one more thing, as this is better than any prerecorded helpline,

on one of the turntables the left channel didn't work, and i was advised to clean the needle, so i unscrewed it, cleaned it, and put it back on, now the right channel doesn't work and there's a big buzzin noise all the time, which wasnt there before, i've tried takin the stylus off and on again but it still is the same.

does anyone no the cause of this?

btw, the decks r Stanton ST8 100s and the needle is a Stanton 500 AL II.

Cheers for all your help

have you tryed taking the whole cartridge off not just the stylus???

and have a look at the wires that go to the catridge, make sure they are not touching each other or anything

on one of the turntables the left channel didn't work, and i was advised to clean the needle, so i unscrewed it, cleaned it, and put it back on, now the right channel doesn't work and there's a big buzzin noise all the time, which wasnt there before, i've tried takin the stylus off and on again but it still is the same.

Cheers for all your help

Ah I had that problem a while back try gently messin wit tha wires in ur stylus head until the buzzin stops probly just a loose connection like mine was

Right off the bat get in the habit of using your volume faders over the x fader......your mixes will sound much smoother.
There is always 3+ ways of doing everything, so its hard to be too specific. Just practise and do what is comfortable for you.

Cheers for all your help

I got a tip mate.
Check your ground wires are properly connected in the back of your mixer.
If the buzzin is still there. Take the whole needle off the tone arm and lick the tip thast connects into the tonearm. NOT the stylus! lol! AND DONT actually slobber on it, just dab it with the tip of your tongue. Get a cotton bud and do the same inside the tonearm where your needle connects.
Trust. Works every time, just gets rid of the static that builds up.
Apart from that. just make sure everythings connected properly mate.
Thats all it ever tends to be bud.

Last edited:
looks like i got my own thread :)

after gentling pushin the wires around without the cartridge as marlztah and badmarsh suggested and that's fixed the buzzin but i'm back to my original problem, but the other way round; no right audio and occassionally this cuts out as well.

is this just bad connections of the wires going into the cartridge and if so what can i do bout it?

thnx once agen ppl

Last edited:
Learn your tunes inside out in terms of arrangment/break downs etc.
Try and mix tunes that are in the same key (remember its music you are mixing)
If you are gonna be double dropping remember to eq between the basslines, You dont get to bass players in a band lol.

Always make sure you are comfortable with ya set up

And just enjoy yourself! :rowley:

Ummm, Im not sure, but it may be your aux leads coming from your decks, are they brand new your decks? Cos if not the person before you may have been rough with the wires and maybe damaged em. But then. If your getting sound sporadically, then they obviously do work.
Is anything loose? Like your connections that you put the wires into on the back of the mixer?

Normally if things are buzzing or not makin noise as they should. I turn everything off and undo everything, even the actual plugs. Then I blow on shit and do that lickin thing I told you about, make sure everything as it should be, and then just replug everything back in, makin sure it's in properly and such,
If ALL your connections are right, and properly plugged in, there's no reason why it should be happening unless, its the wires or the needle.
I reckon its the wires tho mate to be honest, but I could be wrong yano.
And to suggest a solution if its the needles, get new needle mate, but then it may not be, LOL....You can get aux leads changed, its about 30 quid for technics, I gotta get one of mine done actually, you got Stantons havent you? I dont know about them.

yh ive tried it wit different cables so it aint them, i'm gettin a new needle over the weekend so hopefully that fixes it, coz a rewires guna cost a fair few quid.

thanx for the advice

Back
Top Bottom