Commission unveils shocking pictures for cigarette packs

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by BeyondTherapy, Apr 20, 2008.

1. BeyondTherapy

BeyondTherapy Well-Known Member

Commission unveils shocking pictures for cigarette packs

[​IMG][​IMG]

Cigarette packets throughout the European Union could soon be carrying images of dead bodies, cancerous tumours, rotting teeth, and diseased organs as part of a campaign to show the public, especially young people, the dangers of smoking.

The European Commission unveiled a database of 42 pictures last week that national governments can now make manufacturers put on the packets alongside existing warnings such as "Smokers die younger" and "Smoking causes fatal lung cancer."

Presenting the photos, David Byrne, the EU's public health commissioner, said, "People need to be shocked out of their complacency about tobacco. The true face of smoking is disease, death, and horror—not the glamour and sophistication the pushers in the tobacco industry try to portray."

The use of pictures to try to shock smokers and would be smokers was pioneered with success in Canada. Thailand, Brazil, and Singapore have already followed suit, and Ireland and Belgium have confirmed they will do so next year. The British government is also looking into their use.

2. sammys

sammys Shelter Birmingham

jesus christ, bit scary aint it
    not quite enough to put me off a fag tho

3. YOUNG TUNA

YOUNG TUNA IT'S ME BITCHES

man fuck that, why dont we just put same kinda pics on beer bottles with car accident victims and shit, WHAT A SHITLOAD OF FUCK!!!

4. Borf™

Borf™ Borf

Are they gonna be doing this with food too?

And as tuna said, booze and cars?

Us smokers get the shit end of everything.

We're the highest tax payers, and had NO say in the ban. Fucking bullshit.

5. safety

safety double safety

couldn't have put it better myself.

there is not one absolute garuntee that if you smoke it will kill you. but they try and make out that every fag you have brings you that bit closer to death.

i'm glad i gave all that crap up, but it's not fair they way treat smokers anymore, you're like modern day lepers

6. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

they already are putting these pics on cigarette packs in asia. they are really cracking down on smoking as of lately. im not a smoker but i think its a development in the wrong direction.

7. Gumby

Gumby New Member

honestly guys, its awesome.

we've had those pics on cigarettes for years.
    smoking has also been banned inside pubs and clubs... if you want to smoke, go and stand out in the rain! lol!

i bloody love it. smoking has become a very anti social thing over here. if you light up near someone else they'll tell you to fuck off.

its been so successful that theyre considering putting images on alcohol to combat binge drinking... now i dont know about that one lol!