Cloudburst - Dead Weight

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by JimpaDirt, Feb 9, 2013.

1. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

Been slow making tunes for the last months... I dont feel like im making any noticable progress as I used to do before. Witch does give me alot less motivation to make tunes. But I found this one laying around so I whacked some more FX on it and finnished it yesterday, stole some vocal cut from erb n dubs samplepack. So here it is:

And I still dont feel like I'm good enough to send stuff out to promoters or labels. What do you think of it folks?

2. lasiien

lasiien Meh

Hi Jim, I do like your intro's though perhaps on this one from 55sec or so in I think you could build it up a bit more - the vocal part is also a bit hidden and was hard to make out until it dropped. For the main part I like the bass, nice work! The kick could maybe use a bit of a boost for me (seems a bit quiet and should be harder hitting?).

Hope you get your motivation back soon ! I find the same with most things about music, either writing tunes or learning an instrument - you make progress real fast at first but it does slow down and you have those moments of questioning if you are really getting anywhere. Usually you are but the progress isn't so obvious, hope you keep at it ! :)

3. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

Cheers man I've actually worked specially on getting the intro to sound right as that has been my weak spot so im happy to hear that you liked it. The vocals I just whacked on and didnt really care much about because I just wanted to be done with it. Laziness always comes right back in your face I guess.

Good feedback and Im gonna try my best to push trough this stage. Thanks! :)

4. kdk

kdk Member

I can see how you might think the intro is too long; it does go on, but I liked it for the most part. Really cool at 1:00. I agree the vocal samples need more EQ love. I felt it lost energy by 2:00, but when you brought the drums back in at 2:10 it was much better. I did like the breakdown starting at 2:35ish. Nice drop back in at 3:15, though I would have liked if you had saved us something extra for this final drop (another voice, more FX, I dunno)...

The whole thing felt like it could be tightened, I agree. I am not expert enough to give an opinion on if this could be signed, but I enjoyed listening to it; you obviously have the core skills down, however much more you need to refine.

5. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

You are making progress. This song is awesome but missing a je ne sais qoui