clipping

NEWBOY

im using reason 7.. can anybody tell me why when i import a finished mastered tune.. i.e majistrate or somebody.. the tune plays and shows as louder on the db meter, but does not clip when mine is quieter on the meter and is clipping???

before i have managed to drive out tunes to the same volume but this particular track is clipping underneath that volume...

thanks

Those tracks are professionally mixed and mastered. And, to be honest, those audio engineers are hell of experienced on what they do. That's why our DIY mixing/mastering are quieter.

ive managed to remove the clipping for most of the tune will still maintaining a decent volume.. i do this as i tend to try master my own tunes to a certain degree simply because im trying to know as much as i can about the subject to help with eq`ing skills and the mixdown..

anyway i have only one synth that is clipping now... but the dB levels on the particular synth are lower than that of others which are not clipping...

what could cause this???

ive managed to remove the clipping for most of the tune will still maintaining a decent volume.. i do this as i tend to try master my own tunes to a certain degree simply because im trying to know as much as i can about the subject to help with eq`ing skills and the mixdown..

anyway i have only one synth that is clipping now... but the dB levels on the particular synth are lower than that of others which are not clipping...

what could cause this???

Signal spikes, maybe? Resonance? Could be lots of things, man. Why don't you try to put a limiter on this particular sound, so you can avoid those spikes? Also, I guess you are aiming at the 0db mark while mixing. You should leave some headroom.

Start your mix off quiet, and bring it up when mastering. Starting with a loud mix will just make things clip like you are mentioning.

What I would do, assuming that you are new to mixing and mastering, is go through some of these files and deconstruct them and learn how the pros are treating their tracks in Reason. Play around with the settings on the compressors and limiters, eqs and gains on mixers to see how each changes the final sound, and you will get a great idea of how to approach your own projects. Also, look into some mastering tutorials on youtube. Does not have to be for reason, as the same techniques apply to all mastering, just a matter of translating ;)

Thats the thing thats confusing me, on the main output channel and individual channels im not really going above minus 10 dB.. after my main mixer i put in a limiter/maximiser and boost up the dB to around minus 4 to get the volume i need.
Il post the tune once its done and maybe u can give me constrauctive criticism on my eq,ing..
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom