clipped signal question

Discussion in 'Production' started by Balthazaar, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Balthazaar

Balthazaar Member

Hey everyone i have one problem,
    i recorded clipped signal- bassline to be precise in edison(fl studio) it is cliping +11db,and it sounds really gritty and crunchy.now problem is when i load up sample to mix with other elements in tune it eats all headroom so i need to lower volume to get proper mixdown,ofc as soon as i lower volume i lose that gritt from bassline i tried using limiter and there is too much make up gain so i hear to much cracks,tried using compressor also with no results.does anyone know how to solve this problem,(or i just need to stick with some dist. vsts).sorry for my english:teeth:

2. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

what do you mean by clipping? true clipping should never occur, no matter how good you think it sounds, it is causing damage to your amp and speakers

If you want to add crunch, then use a distortion plugin, but this is not the same as clipping - there are many diffrent types of distortion plugin, Overdrive is possibly what you are looking for, or an Amp simulator

rememebr that a digital system, does not run hot like an analog system does, if it is distorting your sound, then it will damage your sound system, controlled distortion via a plugin is not the same thing

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    CoB likes this.
  3. spyre

spyre sample all the things

Not having stuff clipping will help in the long run

4. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

You're just trolling right now, right?

5. spyre

It's probably something you can't do in Absynth, m8

6. Raptor's Den

Raptor's Den Member

Im pretty sure Balthazar is saying he distorted his bass on purpouse by raising the volume to through the roof.. ive done that before, and the results are BEAUTIFUL! thats simple bro! Add a limiter, and make it fully brickwall for the sharpest, thickest sound. Then you can adjust properly. After that you can even separate the bass from the mids and sidechain the bass if you please, then adjust the mid layer even higher if youd like maybe! Best of luck bro! :) <3

Only add a limiter on your bass sound though! Never on your master track! :)

7. Balthazaar

Balthazaar Member

no i am not trolling guys,after all experiments i manage to put it under control,as raptor said using limiter is key i tried all kinds of limiters before but the only one that seems to doing its job as i wanted is Mlimiter-melda production..so tnx anyway

8. spyre

So it's all good now?

9. padders

padders Member

why not solo and bounce the bass? Then turn it down or am I missing something?

10. Balthazaar

Balthazaar Member

yes,it sounds the way i wanted:)

- - - Updated - - -

yea that is actually i did first time but when i turn down the volume fader it doesnt behave as i want and it losses grittiness and crunch,but when i use limiter and turn down volume with limiter on it stays nice and crunchy:)sounds weird but it worked fine

Raptor's Den and spyre like this.
  11. Raptor's Den

Raptor's Den Member

Like I said I did the exact same thing with one of my basses and sidechained my kick directly to make a direct filter for my bass... Makes it sound sooo beast! You gotta get the right sound though and then blast the volume through the roof, otherwise it will just screw up haha. you know! Best of luck to you my man! :) <3

12. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

You guys are mental clipping your shit like that. If you want to replicate the sound of insane clipping, just get a clip distortion plugin. Duh.

13. Raptor's Den

Raptor's Den Member

Not plugging my tune or anything, and if its not okay to post this here OP please do let me know i'll delete! It's just an example of the kind of bass OP is talking about! I made my bass sound! and to really mend it and glue it together I thought one day.. Hell.. why not just blast the volume to maximum? the immense clipping that happens actually, and depending on how one adjusts it makes it sound like pure gold, or CRAP... hahaha Cant wait to hear your tune bro! Yeah this tune im posting is a representation of my bass I made that way! Came out EXCLLENT! soo heavy!

The signal is just soo powerful you really need to limit it and push it the right amounts! its doable, thats definitely for sure!

14. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

didn't read the other comments so cba right now... but distortion and then compress it should leave the beef and the as you with be compressing off those "peak" frequencies creating the grit

15. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Clipping doesn't matter for shit on channels, Im pretty sure Rockwell and Emperor don't worry about it. No rules amigo - it sounds good, it sounds good!

16. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

they do... emperor just limits the shit out of everything... still no clipping

17. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

Clipping is not the same thing as distortion.

Raptor's Den likes this.
  18. Raptor's Den

Raptor's Den Member

Well guys we are all mostly confusing the term clipping with actual distortion yeah haha. Clipping is when it makes a really nasty high frequency snappy click.. Yeah we are talking about distortion.. haha forgive me and my sometimes choppy memory. LOL thanks miszt hahaha <3

19. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Ah yeah sorry i use the term clipping lightly. Driving a channel maxed is what I was refering to.

20. Raptor's Den

Raptor's Den Member

yeah lol its distortion the real term.. hahahaha cant believe i messed up the two... clipping are clicks and just fuck ups on the actual sound making it not smooth. Large difference between maxing out the entire sound xD hahahah!