Cleaning up programs.

JMDJ

yo peeps. got a question. what other programs do you need, besides the main e.g. fruity, cubase, to add cleanness and depth to snares, kicks, basslines, if there is such a thing? basically making them sound harder and heavier.

There is no magical program with one button to make your beats phat.

You need to use good quality samples to start with then use compression and eqing to get the desired punchiness you want.

Its a cliché but you can't polish a turd.

waves got the x-noise x-hum and x something or other, brilliant for cleaning up samples, but they dont make sounds fatter or anything, if you want a plug that with the turn of a dial fattens the sound, as such, youre looking for an exciter, so check you wa shock, its free and all

As Gloxxy said starting with good samples is really important. With my kicks I don't tend to layer them too much, maybe one for the low end and one with a bit of mid punch. You can always add a hat over it if you want a bit of high end.

I normally do a couple of layers for snares as well, again one with a bit of low end thud, something punchy for the mid range, and maybe a bit of white noise for the top end (you can fine a lot of splashy snares with long tails which you can chop to get the white noise type sound if needed)

Compressing your beats will add weight to them. You will also no doubt need to do some EQing. Having the kick coming through at around 100hz and the snare around 200hz works well.

If you want your sub bass and your kicks to work well together then look into side chaining. This causes the sub bass to duck slightly every time your kick hits so that it cuts through the mix nicely.

You want crisp beats...make them in battery!!

Battery3_400.jpg

Thanks for the replys. yeh i thought it was a silly post, no harm in asking tho ;) I just wanted to make sure if there were something people were using that i wasnt. now i am happy i know im not missing out and can work on just using the program to make the beats heavier using techniques. cheers.

You can see why i asked by downloading my track: EQ maybe needs to be worked on.

http://www.dnbshare.com/download/JAYEM-Resista_4.mp3.html

Last edited:
This about battery is funny: the crisp sound comes from the sample library that ships with it, not the program itself. A lot of software developers (NI in particular) have started bundling huge collections of samples and sound sets in their products.

This about battery is funny: the crisp sound comes from the sample library that ships with it, not the program itself. A lot of software developers (NI in particular) have started bundling huge collections of samples and sound sets in their products.
yea they did the same with kontakt to convince half the world... works genius for them though innit

There is no magical program with one button to make your beats phat.

You need to use good quality samples to start with then use compression and eqing to get the desired punchiness you want.

Its a cliché but you can't polish a turd.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Back
Top Bottom