Cleaning up Amen breaks

The break has certainly been pitched up. The 2 channels of the original break have very different qualities so I'm pretty sure this based on the channel that isn't as distorted to start with. I don't hear too much being done to the mids probably a broad subtractive EQ in there since the highs shine so much. The kicks in the Amen are predominantly two frequencies and I think the higher of the two was notched out. Probably a couple key subtractive EQ cuts in the mid-highs and high-highs too. The break was heavily compressed at the end of the processing chain (I can hear distortion on some of the snares). Those are my guesses at least. Some of the real Amen experts would probably know better. :drums:

Have a look into "transient shapers" and maybe a bit of "multiband compression"

Transient shapers definitely help tighten the overall break . A bit too much and the beak becomes too tonaly thin tho. So multiband compression could be a good idea to re-gain some weight. Thanks

The break has certainly been pitched up. The 2 channels of the original break have very different qualities so I'm pretty sure this based on the channel that isn't as distorted to start with. I don't hear too much being done to the mids probably a broad subtractive EQ in there since the highs shine so much. The kicks in the Amen are predominantly two frequencies and I think the higher of the two was notched out. Probably a couple key subtractive EQ cuts in the mid-highs and high-highs too. The break was heavily compressed at the end of the processing chain (I can hear distortion on some of the snares). Those are my guesses at least. Some of the real Amen experts would probably know better. :drums:

Nice. Yeah I'll have a go at EQing these areas and pitching up. Definitely right about the kick, sounds like he's removed the splashy hat that sits above it. Kick was an area of the break I liked most. Has an 'air'y layer over the top, possibly achieved through sending it to a really small reverb?

I think I know the air'y layer you mean. Almost sounds like a hi-passed crash cymbal that was layered on the break could be achieved with a reverb sent through a high pass too.

Amen experts, would be some of the people in the Beautifully Crafted Jungle fb group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LongLiveBCJ/
Not all producers but a lot of collectors that know the history and sources of tracks, who traded samples with who, which engineers did what, etc.

I have it also as well as their remastered worm break and one I other I can't remember the name of

It was the Think break. These guys did a really good job with cleaning up those old breaks.

As far as the Amen goes everything above, but pay some attention to the frequencies around the 1000hz/2khz mark as there is a lot of crunk in there. Scooping some of that out is key to getting it cleaned up. You will have to spend some time playing with it depending on how you pitch it/how gritty you want it to sound.

Just signed back in after a couple weeks. Yeah cool, I'll check these out thanks. Does anyone have the link for those Audio Animals breaks? I'll check out that tutorial also. Think I stumbled across a different tut by that guy on YouTube the other day

Just signed back in after a couple weeks. Yeah cool, I'll check these out thanks. Does anyone have the link for those Audio Animals breaks? I'll check out that tutorial also. Think I stumbled across a different tut by that guy on YouTube the other day

Would also love to have a link to those breaks, if anyone's willing to share :)

Back
Top Bottom