Cleaning records

The main way to prevent them getting dusty is to keep your room clean, have a proper clean up and get rid of all the dust present. Keep the room aired otherwise it'll constantly keep happening no matter how many times you clean them. My mates room is a fucking state and all his vinyl are fucked, constantly clogging up the needles. Its all down to hygenie believe it or not.

On the cleaning vinyl side of things;

http://www.google.co.uk/products?so...g kit&um=1&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=if&start=0

Sooo many products out there, just depends on your budget.

You think compressed gas "dust off" type cans work? I want to be on the safe side.

Some guy in a record shop said that you could use Fairy Liquid or some sort of washing up liquid. I wasn't really listening to him to be honest cos I'd already got some proper cleaning stuff but yeah...

Don't spend too much though imo. It all does the same thing in the end. It's good stuff though and works quite well- if you have a large collection buy a couple as standard size ones only do about 50 records. They do resist dust for ages as well (y)

keep your room clean it will help your vinyls stay marginally dust free

lighter fluid, it's essentially all the over priced brand record cleaners are. Fairy liquids ok too if you do it right, one bowl of soapy water to wash and one clean bowl to rinse. give them a good wash and rinse then dry thoroughly. do this once or twice a year and use lighter fluid/isopropyl alcohol in between. anything else is a gimmick imo (y)

One bowl of soapy warm water, then a rinse, then make sure you let them dry.

Also, keep a paintbrush near your decks to clean your needles, turntables etc. and when you have finished mixxing, i recommend you lock your needles in place and chuck a bed sheet over your whole table,

Dont any of u guys own a record box ????

Before i play a tune i use a carbon fibre brush, quick wipe before droppin' the needle, when finished put it back in the box.

Fuck all dust ever.

I dont understand how people can let there tunes get covered in shit & dust, have some respect for ya tunes, afterall you've paid for them.

Last edited:
I sometimes think dust on vinyl sounds cool, if there isn't too much

but skipping and appearance of it is a bit bad isn't it?

I sometimes think dust on vinyl sounds cool, if there isn't too much

but skipping and appearance of it is a bit bad isn't it?

My mum has this cat that sheds its hair all over everything, i dont let it in my room but my records are still fucked. would that stanton brush do the trick for hair as well? is the brush easy to clean it self?

If washing with soapy water, make sure you rinse thoroughly (and don't use too much soap) as you don't want any residue in the grooves!

Back
Top Bottom