"clean" think break

Discussion in 'Production' started by homiemandude, Dec 2, 2014.

1. homiemandude

homiemandude New Member

OK, so firstly hello everyone, secondly, how should I go about making a "clean" sounding sample from the think break?
    E.g.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q0w2vIfkLI

the yuh uh on every down beat..

anyways, got a loop, I upped the pitch, and I'm playing with the 8 band eq in ableton live trying to single out the yu uh by noticing how the spectrum analyzer jumps a bit, but it sounds empty and hollow with too much of an oomph on the down beat bass drum while logistic's sounds so clean D:

2. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

m/s EQ, Multiband compression and gates generally make the best difference when cleaning up breaks. Part if it is already finding a good quality edit to work with.

3. Yukon

Yukon Yukon

Chances are its the chop found in the bladerunner sample pack.

4. tv_g

tv_g Active Member

Are you trying to isolate the vox or remove it? In the example you posted, after the intro the think break is layered with another loop. Prior to that it just sounds like the think is run through a bandpass filter.

5. homiemandude

homiemandude New Member

I am trying to isolate the vocals. but the way i have isolated them includes too much of the kick so that there is too much of a punch on the down beat when I layer the sample with another kick

6. tv_g

tv_g Active Member

Ah, then I would do a band pass filter somewhere between 500hz - 2000hz to get most of the vox. Then manually edit the wav to remove transients from the drums either eye-balling what to copy paste or using something like the Sound Forge tool replace.
    More generally, words can be broken down into pieces called phonemes where the consonants are often noisey, transient looking things and vowels are comprised of specific harmonics that combine as a formant. There are formant specific filters too, but that would be overkill for this. Luckily there is not much that is dynamic which is what I mean by eyeballing and copy,paste,cutting together the vox part you want. (Pretty sure this was how that sustain vox in Messiah was done for example by looping a clean excerpt of a much shorter sample.) I have done the opposite to remove the vox from certain hits in the think break.

7. homiemandude

homiemandude New Member

thanks for the help everyone. can someone confirm this being in bladerunner sample pack?

8. Yukon

Yukon Yukon

homiemandude and Gloxxy like this.
  9. homiemandude

homiemandude New Member

thank you, you've made my life easier Yukon. The question of whether this and other useful samples are in the bladerunner pack, as I dont know squat about good and not so good sample packs.

10. mugatu

mugatu Verva Music

Re: "clean" think break

Get the bladerunner pack. Very very good samples, drums are on point, sick bass' and the other stuff is all pretty usable.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you dont really know what sample packs to get. K-tee one is good, friction and icicle, Sample Magic SM31 Drum n Bass (nice breaks). June miller one is good, dont know about vol 2 but probably still good. Other packs like house ones can be good aswell, cant really recommend any but vengeance do a lot of good ones.