DnB Classic Camo & Krooked Sidechain Synth

disrute

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
Hey all,

So for a while i've been wondering and asking myself how does one reproduce that classic sidechain synth that camo & krooked pull off,
The sound im trying to get is the that is introduced at around 26 seconds in this song; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00QC_iyNmrg

It is the sound that is sidechaining, sounds a bit like a saw but not as sharp.

If anyone knows how you can make those common sidechain synths, (not the sidechain effect itself, the actual synth) then that would be amazing, thanks all!

Disrute :)

I'm too lazy to open Logic at the moment to get exact settings but it's pretty much that liquid sound thats been battered a lot the last few years.

Try taking 2-3 saws and pitch one up 7 semitones and one down 5, the last you can leave the last one alone or bring it down an octave if you choose, then maybe play with a combination of saws and square waves until it sounds the way you want. This should get you fairly close to the sound you want.

is that actually a side chain??? sounds just like a in sync lfo on 4/4

It could be, imo it can be very hard to tell the difference between 4/4 LFO sync and sidechaining (depending on the LFO shape).

Camo & Krooked prefer sidechaining their synths to muted kicks rather than using lfos. This is so that they can play around with the positioning of the kicks for the vibe and the length of the kicks for the depth of the effect. Fact.

^^ yeh been doing that a lot recently, and automating the release can make for some interesting effects!

you could always make a ghost kick channel for the bits you need sidechaining. That way the leading kicks can do one thing, and the sidechain can be triggered from another track on mute. You could always send that track to an Aux, apply a reverb only on wet, so you get silly amounts of feedback & tail, and sidechain again, but have on a low volume. Then you get the main sidechain and some fancy tails layering it up.

Back
Top Bottom