Clairvoyants

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by chanty, Mar 29, 2011.

1. chanty

chanty Active Member

just curious wether any of you belive in clairvoyants, psychics or anything like that.
    Personally i dont believe a word of it, i dont know whether i am just a big sceptic, i dont believe in God, or ghosts or any shit that to me isnt scienctific fact.

my misses and my mum are going to see a clairvoyant on thursday at the place i work, and im working the night behind the bar so i get to see what he says.

ive just been watching a derren brown interview with richard dawkins, where derren talks about cold reading techniques and the ways they word thier questions and that sort of shit, so i can disprove the stuff this clairvoyant says.

just interested to see what u lot think or if youve ever been to see one.

2. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

The whole 'cold-reading' thing pisses me off. you've got a crowd of 100 odd people,
    "does the name james mean anything to anyone"
    "Holy shit! my cousins dead best friend is called james!"
    "i'm getting the colour yellow"
    "no fucking way! that's the colour of his favourite pair of socks"
    "He's saying, make sure you clean my socks"
    "wait hold on! this is bullshit, his favourite socks were green"

how people believe this shit is beyond me

3. chanty

chanty Active Member

i feel exactly the same. some people argue that it comforts people, and that its wrong to take that comfort away. well its wrong to lie to people in the first place and give them false hope, espcially just to make money off of thier hopes

4. djad

djad leo the lion

i agree with your opening statment. I dont believe in it at all and i think alot of it is called suggestion. My mate goes to someone with taro cards. I said well you only have to go once cause shell tell you your future and that is that. She said that your future keeps changing so you have to keep going.. I laughed and got on with my work. Did i mention that its £25 an hour.. mmmm

5. mcsketcha

mcsketcha Sketchamus

here's a prime example of how far it can go, pisses me off how people can believe this bullshit, id like to believe ghosts exist but i certainly dont believe these jokers can communicate with them,

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  6. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

I believe some people can do it, I believe most are just money swindling jokers though.

7. pitts

pitts Member

i keep having dreams about my dead grandad quite frequently and loads of my family want me to go see one of these but im unsure whether i believe any of it. Also on boxing day when we had family round for drinks was outside having a cig telling my cousin about the dreams and some snow fell off the roof onto my head which i just saw as a coincidence but they were all saying that was him, my family arent religous or spiritual either.

i dont believe in any of that kind of stuff but all of what i have just explained makes me think a little about it

8. SLow

SLow Quadrospazzed life-glug

Nah its just power of suggestion, the people who go to the readings have already done half the job by wanting to believe anything that is said about their future.

Its not physically possible to see into the future no matter how many incense sticks you burn in your tent or how much you take your victim (usually female) for. However I will concede for some people perhaps the power of suggestion provided by a clairvoyant is enough to motivate them to fulfil said prophecy.

This may not necessarily be a bad thing, but for someone to claim they can accurately predict someone's future is a blatant lie.

9. Kenneth4Eva

Kenneth4Eva Let's Breed

I've seen 2 ghosts one in an old radio station and one in my room. messed up. i believe Ouija boards are real.

10. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

(y)

all a bunch of BS!

11. DJ_NoZ

DJ_NoZ Rum & Ass

Derren Brown did that seance where he convinced a whole group of people that they had been connecting with this dead person all along and at the end of the show he brought the girl they had been connecting with in, who was alive and well I might add.

Load of bollocks!

12. rob_del_terror

rob_del_terror - ̿ ̿'̵͇̿̿з=(•̪●)=ε

its all bollox. my mates mums a clairvoyant, i remember when i first met her she really made me think about it all. she said "hmmm, your interested in this sort of thing". which is true. but a few years later, when i was no longer a heavy stoner i thought everything she said after that was gauged from a reaction.

these people are just really good at reading people. its a skill not a gift.

13. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

14. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

Pitts I feel for you man but there's no proof whatsoever that any part of us lives on beyond the point of death. All the evidence is for the opposite. Also snow falls naturally all the time so without evidence to support the claims being made it's important that you go with the proven one.

I think belief in the supernatural is part of the after effect of us being a christian country and probably has some basis in our brain chemistry. It's been shown that having an imbalance of certain chemicals can lead us to make all sorts of connections between things or events in the outside world that simply arent true (like paranoid schitzofrenics/conspiracy theorists and even deeply religious people).

15. greddie

greddie Super Sir Loin

16. pitts

pitts Member

like i said i dont believe in any of the stuff it just made me think how spooky it was and the dream stuff is probably something in my subconscious.

i agree with what other people have said about clairvoyant stuff, I know a hypnotist and i asked him to try stuff on me when we was at a club and he got my hand to float above a table and some other stuff but he was telling me it happend because i wanted it to happen. Like this kind of the stuff the victim will believe it if they want to.

17. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

Dreaming about dead grandparents or seeing them on trips isn't really that unusual.
    I think it's got to do with feelings of guilt we have when we grow up and seemingly "don't have time" for your old nan any longer.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  18. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

there he is the biggest douche in the universe

19. ONSLAUGHT88

ONSLAUGHT88 I sees ya I do I sees ya

not too sure if i believe in readers and all that crap but i do believe in ghosts somewhat.

20. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Im pretty much the same, i require more than suggestion to believe in shit.

I cant believe in God because i refuse to base my life off a book that was written 2000 years ago and rewritten upwards of 30 times.
    I cant believe in clairvoyance because its not empirical information, its going through some cunt thats trying to mug me off by telling me what i want to hear.

I cant believe in any of this shit because it hasnt been proven. And i refuse to believe in bullshit just because its want i want to hear and will comfort me, thats just weak.