Drum & Bass Circa presents...Symmetry Recordings 'The Other Side' Album Launch Party

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by Circa Hq, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Circa Hq

Circa Hq New Member

Circa debuts with Symmetry Recordings The Other Side album launch!

[​IMG]

Circa debuts at Hidden on Saturday 22nd September with one of drum and bass’ most revered DJs,
    Break who brings his quintessential label, Symmetry Recordings to the Vauxhall based club for it’s
    London debut. Adding fuel to the fire, not only will this be a joint debut but also the launch for the
    third Symmetry LP The Other Side LP, released in late September.

Showcasing The Other Side will be label boss, Break with a hefty 90 minute set, that guarantees
    enough twisted basslines and broken beats to satisfy anyone’s requirements. Joining him will be
    fellow Bristolian and drum and bass legend, Die whose lengthy and colourful history needs no
    introduction and masters of production Octane & DLR whose dancefloor destroying tracks such as
    ‘Mainframe’ and ‘Back in the Grind’ have earned them the respect of DJs and ravers alike.

Joining this distinguished array is rising talent Xtrah whose string of recent remixes for some prolific
    dnb characters and upcoming releases on Ram, Critical and Subtitles have set him on the path to DnB
    stardom, not to mention a very special guest DJ whose inaugural productions and impeccable sets
    have earned this act high favour across the board. Bassline & Codebreaker join on the mic to host us
    through.

Circa & Friends present... Reflections.

Aiming to look over the past 20years of drum and bass Circa residents invite a friend along to look
    back over the past and offer up a ‘Reflections’ set - and who better to lead us on our reflective
    journey than Jungle legend Randall ‐ with a very special Classic Jungle set! Respected by all and loved
    by many, his timeless brilliance both technically and musically has ensured he’s still one of the scene’s
    most sought after talents. He’ll be joining Circa resident and rising star Halogenix whose
    collaborations with Stray & Sabre have reached critical acclaim including the recently released
    Oblique. Circa residents represent in the form of SD, Holmes & Onna.

Date: Saturday 22nd September
    Time: 10pm – 6am
    Venue: Hidden, Vauxhall, SE11 5EQ

Online Ticket Link
    Residentadvisor.net :: http://bit.ly/Circa001

Useful Links:
    Facebook.com/circasound
    Twitter.com/circa_sound
    Soundcloud.com/circa-sound

Full Lineup:

Room 1 :: Symmetry Recordings: Break, Die, Octane & DLR, Xtrah + Special Guest and Bassline & Codebreaker.
    Room 2 :: Reflections with Randall, Halogenix, SD, Holmes & Onna.

For the Love of Drums.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  2. bn14

bn14 Well-Known Member

Next weekend!

Will try very hard to make this

3. idhelpplz

idhelpplz Member

got a flyer for this last week, deece line-up.

4. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

want to hit this...funds arent exactly in great shape though

Just to hear Love So True on a good system again would be heaven.

5. Circa Hq

Circa Hq New Member

Wait till you hear about the Special Guest!

@ stusmith tickets are still just £8 from Resident Advisor so grab one before they go up in price

6. Circa Hq

Circa Hq New Member

This Saturday! :banana:

7. boobjunkie

boobjunkie Active Member

8. Subjekt Music

Subjekt Music Well-Known Member

9. Rich Pitchshift

Rich Pitchshift Active Member

10. doreilly

doreilly New Member

Out of interest, did anybody else find this hugely disappointing?

The sound quality during DJ Die was atrocious: nobody bothered to tell the mc not to stand right next to the speaker because of something called feedback (!) resulting in horrible boomy flabby bassy sounds eradicating any enjoyment of the evening's most accomplished DJ. I did mention it to a member of staff, but they didn't seem interested. Not to mention it was obviously way too quiet, etc. Real shame. Die is an incredible DJ and he was the main reason for going.

Break was sounding good after the sound engineer woke up (the MC with Xtrah was telling him what to do!), but the sound system in there just pounds on your skull with hardly any sub frequencies. No lush bassline loveliness at all. Some of those Break tracks were entirely lacking their best dimension.

The visuals were absolutely hilarious. The psychadelic zebra was only outdone by images of world poverty. Classic party vibez all round.

Break is an absolutely incredible technician and I would have expected that skill to have been mirrored (pun) in his Symmetry club night. I'm not being a hater here - London needs more variety in DnB nights - but I feel like giving some feedback. First job is to get that sound sorted out - without getting that right, the night is an automatic failure in my book.

* Redeeming feature - Bailey's jungle set. Again, sound was crap and quiet, but the tunes were great and the MC was excellent. (Was expecting Randall from the flyer, but was great Bailey stepped in.

N.B. The Hidden website was saying it was sold out even though it wasn't.

11. Riisu

Riisu Not the Preacher Man

From what I heard/got told Die was having issues with serato amongst other things. So might go some way to explaining some of the problems with the sound. Regardless it was a superb set, and as you said he's a wicked dj and his selection is always on point.

But after that and Code:Breaker set the levels, I thought the night was flawless. Really don't know where you were standing not to be getting hit by any bass, but myself, Boudi & Wayne were almost sick on each other at some points. I wouldn't have wanted anymore sub in there, lets put it that way. Thought the system was crisp as a matter of face and ideal for that kind of room. So maybe it's where you were standing. I didn't venture too near the front, so can't comment about down there.

And yes, the visuals were truly hilarious and completely out of place.....

12. doreilly

doreilly New Member

I tried a couple of spots around the room and was finding that only the upper bass levels were coming through (mainly the kicks) which is weird really because the speaker array was situated above and into the crowd as opposed to standing right in front of it, but then it does seem quite tricky to manage sound well in an arched space except at really high levels.

It could have been all that feedback from earlier in the night though as it started giving me a headache quite early on, but really wasn't getting that lush sound I wanted, even at volume. And its not really the job of an MC to point out where the sound was going wrong (but appreciated his pointing it out!)

Glad you enjoyed it though. I felt the same way about Hardware at AREA last autumn - but it seems that one of the speaker sets failed in there and it sounded crap also. Maybe its just my luck?

Last time I went to that place was when Dilly had the Valve in there, about 7 or 8 years ago I think, but it wasn't called Hidden then. Last time I heard Hive playing out I seem to remember. And no complaints about bass then either (!)

13. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

They had shitloads of nights where the speakers werent up to scratch at Area.
    I was at the night you were talking about, was noticable to say the least.

hence why they have moved it to cable...

14. Subjekt Music

The sound in there was a little shaky at times. Like Rhys said, him, Boudi and me were getting assaulted by sub bass at times and we were stood at the back. Break was stood with us at one point and even he noticed it too.

But apart from a few issues which are minor, one of the b est nights ive been to this year. Die set the tone with a great set, Xtrah was seriously sick (Roll On, So Real, Harsh Reality... tune selection was so on point. Defo improved as a DJ)

When Break stepped up though it was game over. Intro'd with Elevate This Sound > The Hills Have Ears. From that, you knew he was gonna go in. When he played Kicked To Death someone nearly got murdered down the front. One one shit tune in the set. Flawless.

There were some weird characters in that club though. But overall, a decent first night. hopefully there will be a few more

15. Riisu

Riisu Not the Preacher Man

Heh!!! Certainly a few special people. That's what happens when you go south of the river though! :teeth:

16. Subjekt Music

Hahaha. Word

That black dude in the puffa jacket looked shifty as fuck. And then the guy who kept going around asking people for Acid

As you do...

17. Mish Mash

Mish Mash Well-Known Member

Last time I was at hidden the bouncers were dragging out anyone who looked like they might be on something. Having 4 or more massive skinheads in matrix style jackets barge through to the front and drag out a random guy every few minutes completely ruins the vibe. Been there twice and they were like it both times. Never going there again