Choosing the right gear

MDCNMN

What's up,
I've decided I need to step my mixing game up (let's say I'm a beginner to average DJ) I can beatmatch and transition, etc. but I've learned on a controller that plugs into a laptop via usb. What I want to know is should I take the leap and buy a new setup, and if so what? Personally I would like to not have to rely on a computer (I produce on my laptop as well and would be fucked if it were destroyed) so I thought the cdj route would be best. But the progression of technology worries me. I don't want to invest a method that becomes a niche and then be out $2000.

Any insight would be a big help cheers

mixing gear never goes out of fashion mate, I still mix 100% vinyl haha

if you use your laptop to mix at the minute I would suggest grabbing some CDJ's with a USB option as well as CD's, it is a lot easier to have loads of tunes on one usb then loads of cd's with a few tunes on them and a lot easier to carry around a usb if your playing out

if you are happy with your laptop though then stick with it mate, mixing is more about tune selection and having things locked in rather than what you mix on

Really depends what your budget is man.

I can't see technology progressing beyond cdjs and usbs within the next few years at least. Obviously the models will upgrade but the fundamentals of putting music onto the player should remain relatively similar.

Also burning cds is long.

Price wise the pioneer cdj 850 has usb and cd inputs and the screen is pretty shite so you'll learn to rely on your ears pretty quickly

If you want the USB experience without the cost then look at the Pioneer XDJ-RX. The other half of GC just got one and he rates it!

Back
Top Bottom