Choosing the right DAW?

Forau

VIP Junglist
Ive had FL Studio and Sonar on my desktop for years now, and had a bit of a play about with both (actually with some reasonably good results). Now i want to start seriously getting into production, i have a lot of ideas i want to lay down and im quite excited to get into it.

Would you recomend sticking to FL studio? I dont have a mac so logic's out of the window (which im quite annoyed at, its amazing software). I may be convinced to attempt to install OSX on my ultrabook though, depending on replys to this thread.
Ive taken a look at Reason, Acid (old skool haha), etc, but cant find anything that a lot of users on the forum use (so theres plenty of people to help when i get stuck/have a question) that is compatible with windows 7 or windows xp.

Basically i want a well known DAW that quite a few forum members use, thats not Mac only. Also preferably one with plenty of DNB friendly plugins etc that'll help get away from "standard" sounds.

If you have a suggestion for a DAW, please explain why its as badass as you say :).

Looking to take the plunge into some serious production and want to get off to the right start, i dont want to start learning how to use some software, commit serious time and effort to it, then when i get stuck theres no one that can help me out >_<.

Take a look at Presonus Studio One, Im currently using it and its awsome, the built in plugins are sounding awsome, resampling is made really easy and alot of other very good features.

Ive had FL Studio and Sonar on my desktop for years now, and had a bit of a play about with both (actually with some reasonably good results). Now i want to start seriously getting into production, i have a lot of ideas i want to lay down and im quite excited to get into it.

Would you recomend sticking to FL studio? I dont have a mac so logic's out of the window (which im quite annoyed at, its amazing software). I may be convinced to attempt to install OSX on my ultrabook though, depending on replys to this thread.
Ive taken a look at Reason, Acid (old skool haha), etc, but cant find anything that a lot of users on the forum use (so theres plenty of people to help when i get stuck/have a question) that is compatible with windows 7 or windows xp.

Basically i want a well known DAW that quite a few forum members use, thats not Mac only. Also preferably one with plenty of DNB friendly plugins etc that'll help get away from "standard" sounds.

If you have a suggestion for a DAW, please explain why its as badass as you say :).

Looking to take the plunge into some serious production and want to get off to the right start, i dont want to start learning how to use some software, commit serious time and effort to it, then when i get stuck theres no one that can help me out >_<.

I only use FL I've tried many others with surprising results too but I just can't get enough of FL. It's only limited to how you use it. It can be so simple and effective. I love how underestimated it is also. It can compete with the best software money has to offer.

I guess it's down to you and how dedicated you are I started on Reason and made the switch to FL and never looked back. Ive also tried Logic and i have a copy of Abelton but I really can't be arsed to learn a whole other piece of software!

If you like the production quality of our music then that should be enough to convince you that FL is a capable piece of kit.

Plus there are a few heads on here that use it and are regularly helping out with questions etc like myself ;) Think there is even an FL thread lying around somewhere full of some really great tips and tricks!

some of the best producers use FL studio, some use logic, some use cubase and some use ableton. some even use reason (not implying theres anything wrong with it). Basically, what im trying to say is, it doesnt matter. in effect, they all do the same thing just in different ways. i personally like ableton cos of its layout, but that doesnt mean its the best. some people say each daw has its own sound, i personally disagree with this, and think they all sound the same. look at some tuts online for different ones so you can see how they work would be my best advice!

To add, most tips can be transferred across DAW's pretty easily, so i wouldnt base your choice on what is most popular on this forum!

Last edited:
I have used Fl studio, renoise and reason.
I sticked with reason, tho sometimes i use fl n renoise.
All DAW's are the same at some point, but i chose reason because its really clean layout and synthesis are too powerful.
Tho reason cant use plugins and sometimes it lacks of plugins so i use also fl studio with rewire to reason.
I usually master with ozone so again i use renoise/fl studio. But also reason mastersuite sometimes.

In my opinion you should use the DAW what you think is easy to use and keeps the track flow on.
(in that point renoise is fuckign massive)

Idk if that answer helped anythign, but keep an eye on tutorials/introductions and maybe you can find what suites you better.

i use FL and don't see why so many people beef it.

only reason i'm converting to cubase soon is because it's what my mate uses and we want to collab regularly.

I might crack on with FL Studio this weekend, im absolutely skint so its a good excuse to sit indoors and learn learn learn, and if im not feeling FL Studio i'll try and install OSX (tried in the past with no joy but im quite determined now) and try Logic out.

I used to use FL Studio, and I know a lot of people on here use it too. I dont have any problems with it, but I now use Ableton because I prefer the feel to it. Also a hell of alot of people round here use it too. So I'd suggest either stick with FL, or move to Ableton or Cubase cos thats what most people are using so you will get better support.

I think that settles it, im going to stick with FL Studio for the time being.

I remember back when i was playing about i couldnt get my head round arranging different layers (bass, drums, etc), so i made each individual sound, saved as .wav and then set them as loops and arranged them in Sonar as it seemed a lot easier. I'll have to spend some time getting my head round FL Studio as some things seem a little stupid compared to other DAW's ive seen/tried.

Last edited:
I use Ableton and reason 5

Reason 5 for rex and KONG/Redrum.

Ableton because i like the sequencer and VST support.

Not a fan of the mess they call FL studio.

FLS 10 for arranging/sequencing/whatever, Reaper for (only for) recording. Soon to be Protools for reccing/mixing/mastering though. After some years when got enough € to buy a Mac, it'll probably be a logic/pt combo. Adjusting to a new workflow can be a pain in the ass tho

Ableton IMO, I use FL as well. Both are great but in their own ways. Hope that made sense >_>

I play Electric guitar as well, so I got a lite version of Ableton with the Line 6 Pod I bought. Used it then to make a drum beat for some guitar stuff I was messing round with, remembered it was quite easy. Saw Ableton had the 30 Day free Trial thing before, and bit. Its a killer piece of software! Do admit to having DAW envy but you will have that always. I like the layout, adding effects is easy and tidy, and loads of cool stuff included if you get the suite package.

I dont work for ableton, no :) I like it though, I like it a lot. Looking forward to the new Live 9 coming out, see what stuff they have in there, got it as a free upgrade when I bought Live 8.

Logic and Cubase both look tres cool as well. I noticed all the Shogun lot seem to use Logic when watching the masterclasses. They all have their plusses and minuses, hard to find that out before getting in depth with them though, so read up see which one you think will fit, commit and go for it, dont turn back and learn the shit out of whatever one you stick with, that more beneficial than any one software, I think, more how well you can use it.

Back
Top Bottom