Choosing monitors: RP8g3 vs HS8

wesStyle

Hey guys!

I am in search for some decent(if we can call them like this in this price range) budget monitors. Actually my first monitors as I used to mix on various headphones before.

My room is not that small(and not that treated, but as soon as I buy monitors I will try to work on it) and as I don't want to use subwoofer for now, I am aiming for 8" speakers(or may be I am wrong?).

For what I've read:

• KRK RP8 G3 - some people bless them, some say that they are more like better hi-fi other then real monitors cuz of boosted low/high end.
  • Yamaha HS7/8 - very flat, dry. Not that good low end, but everything else is good enough. Also they cost ~$100 more

I was considering Behringer, Alesis and M-Audio ones, but as I understand KRK and Yamaha outshines them with slightly higher price(~$50).

I will use monitors for production/listening and ofc mixing(I am sick of constantly being in headphones, really). And As I mostly produce dnb I want them to reproduce good low end (extreme low frequencies I will definitely check with headphones) and fair timbre of instruments. I am a fan of jazzish dnb so no neuro stuff in near future :p

So what do you guys think? I can't go and listen to them right now so I want firstly to hear some response from dnb producers out there.

I got the RP8's they sound quality. My neighbour can vouch for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would definitely recommend the hs8's over the rp8's, i went from rp6 to hs8's and im so glad that i made the change!

I recommend you the HS8.I have them and the low end is really good in my opinion, they sound very flat and clean.Music i make translates very good to any other systems.However i never listened to KRK's, but many people say they sound a bit muddy.In the end it doesnt really matter that much becouse when you get used to a speaker and how it translates to other systems its all good :).

I own the HS7's and they are very good, remember you want the most neutral monitors around, Rokkit's are well known for not being exactly flat, there's a lot of transient processing in them to make the 80-100hz range sound more punchy.

I own the HS7's and they are very good, remember you want the most neutral monitors around, Rokkit's are well known for not being exactly flat, there's a lot of transient processing in them to make the 80-100hz range sound more punchy.
Do you think that 7's are enough?
How low can they response? Will I be able to monitor at least some of sub frequencies?
I am considering them now because of the price and size but I dunno how much I will benefit with 8's in terms of bass response.

I own the KRK RP8 G1's and the only other monitors I'm really familiar with are my Adam A77X's. Everything I've released so far was mixed on the KRK's in a 12'x9'x8' room with no acoustic treatment. They are one purchase I will never regret, although I eventually grew out of them. I used them for about 5 years. I've used plenty of different kinds of headphones and some of them were difficult to judge mixes on. I didn't have the same type of difficulty with the KRK's. Mixes done on them tend to translate pretty well. I could easily switch between working on them and working with my Beyerdynamic headphones and there wouldn't be any huge frequency imbalances. I have no experience with the Yamaha monitors you mentioned but I do know that pretty much everything Yamaha makes, from pianos to saxophones to motorcycles to studio monitors is of solid quality. You can find NS-10's in studios all over the world. That's all the input I have to give. Peace:)

Do you think that 7's are enough?
How low can they response? Will I be able to monitor at least some of sub frequencies?
I am considering them now because of the price and size but I dunno how much I will benefit with 8's in terms of bass response.

there is a 5hz difference between the 7's and 8's, I went with 7's because the area I am working is small, and the Alesis I had before where already a bit too big.

Bass response is fine imo, ill let my beats be the judge of that tho ;)

Okay, thank you guys for your feedback. I guess I will go with HS7s cuz of my room size and price difference :)

Last question: can I plug them into my soundcard(Asus Xonar DS with a bunch of standart(unbalanced I believe) 1/8 jacks) via 1/8 stereo Y-splitter to 1/4 mono(or 1/8 stereo to stereo rca with rca - 1/4)?

Ofc it will be a temproary solution until I buy something decent like 2i2.

Okay, thank you guys for your feedback. I guess I will go with HS7s cuz of my room size and price difference :)

Last question: can I plug them into my soundcard(Asus Xonar DS with a bunch of standart(unbalanced I believe) 1/8 jacks) via 1/8 stereo Y-splitter to 1/4 mono(or 1/8 stereo to stereo rca with rca - 1/4)?

Ofc it will be a temproary solution until I buy something decent like 2i2.

You can do whatever combo you like as long as sound comes out ;)

Bare in mind that the hs8s have several parameters on the back, which can tailor the monitor to suit your needs. I'll probably have the HPF on when I get a pair as I live in a flat then turn it off every now n then to check the lower frequencies.

Just recieced my pair of HS8s!

At first I listened to High Contrast's Tough Guys Don't Dance album in flac on them.
And all I can say - I am very impressed by the clarity and general flatness of the sound.
Detalisation is excellent for this price point and I just love the attack of drums.

Bass response is in question because now monitors are in front of the wall and I used -2db room controll switch. But it seems pretty good and actualy enough. Also, no mud in low-mids, which is awesome. I will eventually make some sound treatments of the room but again, for now everything sounds fine for me.

So far so good, I will write more later.

Back
Top Bottom