Choosing a Mixer - do i need usb or is analogue good enough when recording?

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by Trickle, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Trickle

Trickle New Member

right so i'm looking to order a mixer very soon (sadly its gonna have to be an entry-level piece of kit for the mo, i'm new to the game).

Initially i was set on a mixer with usb ports for recording my mixes to pc but looking around, anything with usb capabilities kinda compromises other features so i'm wondering how much of a difference sound quality is between usb and analogue when recording ?

also any other misc. info/ tips/ advice about mixers around the £100-150 mark will be greatly appreciated lol

ta

2. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

go for the good ole phono lead into line in mate... much better ;)

3. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Ok just forget this USB business for now, if your just starting your mixes are guna sound shite for at least a year anyways so having a USB won't make things sound better.

For that budget you can definately get yourself a decent entry level mixer but you will struggle to find a mixer with a Record Out slot on it for that price.

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/numark/x6
    http://www.decks.co.uk/products/american_audio/Q_D5_MKII

Personally I'd go with the Numark as they have decent sound quality and generally if looked after they will last the first couple of years mixing :)

Hope that helps, thanks us if it did ;)

4. emy

emy Member

What I did when I started was just use a splitter to split the output into two, one going to the speakers and the other to the line in on the laptop, so if your mixer only has one output you can still use it to record from

5. Trickle

Trickle New Member

hmm that numark might just be out of my price range seein as im gettin all my equipment with this coming terms' student loan !!

what's the verdict on the Numark M3, its lookin like my most probable option..

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/numark/m3

6. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Dude seriously that extra £20-£30 on top of £150 will make a world of difference in comparasion with the M3. Just checked it out and its so basic its ridiculous compared to the X6, you'll reget it in the long run when you get better on the decks, trust me.

7. llSpaMll

llSpaMll Member

oh hey if the numarkX6 is out of your pricerange you can get the DXM06 as it's the same thing just different colours and 150$ cheaper at my local music store though i'm in canada i hardly know bout the uk prices i think the dxm06 wouldn't be anymore then 200 max as it's 250 here it'd probably be round half that even so it's pretty affordable and it'd last for a couple years for sure.

PS
    forgot to sy the x6 is only more cause it was designed to last longer i think so the dxm06 would last like 2-3 years as the x6 maybe twice as long idk but it's why it costs more plus it looks cool i suppose.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  8. fused forces

fused forces Member

Definatly.

Cant go wrong with that advice.

9. Trickle

Trickle New Member

great shout! £155. cheers i reckon thats me sorted !!

10. llSpaMll

llSpaMll Member

yeah dude it's a sick mixer for the price actually best 2channel ever in my opinion for the price the horizontal eq's are nice too it's all spaced out n everythings so big :D

11. Trickle

Trickle New Member

ooh a new mixer has just come into the pipeline.

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/behringer/DJX750

let me know what you think, i dont really need a 4 channel mixer, but in a package deal i can get this with my axis 9's for about £570 which is cheaper than if i get the numark mixer

12. Saint

Saint Buried Audio

Dont buy behringer.

Theres a reason you can get a 4 channel mixer for cheaper than a numark 2 channel one... itll break in about 3 months top.

13. alz

alz compress to impress

you could get a decent vestax one second hand on ebay :)

14. Trickle

Trickle New Member