Cheapest Place for needles?

hazdaman100

Bum 'n Face
VIP Junglist
Broke another needle last night! Thats the 4th in about a year and a half! Where is the cheapest and best place to get them from? Seems like all the prices have gone up for them now!
We are talking styli by the way, not medical syringes
Any info would be great

So Ortofons yeah? HTFR do a cheap universal stylus that are compatible with the ortofons, although i'd save my money and get the real thing. The price has gone up a bit since I last bought some DJ S's. They used to be about £20-25 when I last had to buy them a couple of years back.

You get them free from the NHS mate.

But you have to go in there ready for everyone to look down on you.

We have a joker in the crowd, well done mate :)

---------- Post added at 12:54 ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 ----------

So Ortofons yeah? HTFR do a cheap universal stylus that are compatible with the ortofons, although i'd save my money and get the real thing. The price has gone up a bit since I last bought some DJ S's. They used to be about £20-25 when I last had to buy them a couple of years back.

Yeah bought one of those universal ones a while back, aboslutly kack sound quality, cant handle some tunes, and is also very jumpy, stay well clear

---------- Post added at 12:54 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

Found them for 25 on amazon, with 9 quid postage, just wondered if anyone could find any cheaper

---------- Post added at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

just out of curiosity, what is the expected lifespan of one of these needles? should I really be getting through 4 in about a year and a half?

just out of curiosity, what is the expected lifespan of one of these needles? should I really be getting through 4 in about a year and a half?

Christ man, you must slam em up. Either that or your weights and counters aren't set up properly. My one's lasted for a couple of years per stylus. I'm pretty sure I read from Ortofon that you're meant to get around 1000 hours playtime per stylus.

Christ man, you must slam em up. Either that or your weights and counters aren't set up properly. My one's lasted for a couple of years per stylus. I'm pretty sure I read from Ortofon that you're meant to get around 1000 hours playtime per stylus.

Well thats what Im wondering......I started a thread in the turtable ect.. section about tracking weights. Ironically the needle went when I was adjusting the levels. But yeah as far as im aware for ortofon djs, the correct weight is about 2.5gs, set up the anti-skate perfect, and the tonearm height is pretty spot on I think......what have you got ur weights set to mate?

are u de-dusting them with ur finger?

de-dusting? is that a word? yeah why not!

[/COLOR]just out of curiosity, what is the expected lifespan of one of these needles? should I really be getting through 4 in about a year and a half?
I think in the manuel Ortofon say 6 months per needle although I have had my DJS's for 3 1/2 years and they are still fine.

are u de-dusting them with ur finger?

de-dusting? is that a word? yeah why not!

Well, shouldnt really, but sometimes :)

---------- Post added at 08:37 ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 ----------

How long have you had them? Just sorted mine out through warranty (i hope, all seems good so far!)
Didnt realise you even got a warranty with styli

---------- Post added at 08:43 ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 ----------

clearly your weight are way off

try this

Thats what I thought, but I followed a video that supposidly sets them up correctly, doing the whole floaty thing with the tonearm, then setting the dial to 0, then follow the reccomended weight for the cart, which is 2.0gs to 4.0gs The decks were set to the correct settings before I started tinkering bar the anti-skate, but i doubt this would have lead to the needle breaking....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom