cheapest gain distortion?

Discussion in 'Production' started by richie_stix, Jun 10, 2011.

1. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

Yo peeps... need to take my drums to the next hench level... so im thinking i need some hardware gain to slightly distort em... whats cheap and good, guitar peddle? guitar amp?

safe

2. Freek

Freek Lets get freeeeeeky

i would sell u my line 6 spider3 amp cos the distortion & gain on that is pretty immense however dunno if it would be what ur going for cos the fx on the amp themselves are digital and not analogue.

I do also have a Ibanez DS7 pedal your welcome to borrow but i canny let that one go cos its one of my favs. Its pretty beastly distortion tho and might be a bit tooo much for drums but as i said more than welcome to borrow it n have a go.

3. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

just want more hardware tbh! just some ideas and names and i'll see what i like me thinks! thanks for the offer doe freek, i'll see what this thread turns up first (y)

4. StrifeII

StrifeII Member

yeah line 6 stuff is great...the line 6 pod is very versatile and great value for money, you're probably looking at 100 quid for a huge amount of amp models and effects, plus preamp modelling - that will help you rip the shit out of any sound you want to.

5. H*product

H*product Heavyweight product

i've been drooling over a culture vulture for about a year now but just can't afford one. maybe if i win the lottery eh?

on a serious note....
    The distortion plugins (not hardware i know!) by D16 (devistator?) is great, as is the sound toys distortion.

As for hardware if its just subtle warming/pushing i use an spl charisma. i've also got some tl audio stuff and a little mackie desk and either of those seems to add a bit of niceness as long as you dont slam them.

I've heard good things about the electro harmonix 2tube pedal. I've never tried one but could be worth a punt

hope thats of some help.

EDIT
    Just read the thread title and realised it said "cheapest"! shouldn't have even mentioned the thermionic stuff

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  6. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

get a samson c-valve rich, look into it. its a pre-amp with tubes for cheap

7. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Line 6 gear is hardware replacement, software in a box type of thing. Not really hardware at all, as you mean it. Guitar Rig would do the same job as a pod. (I have podX3 and agree it is handy for what it is tho)

Now I'm back in NZ I have all my guitar pedals in a box here somewhere, I should really get them out and try and hook everything up! If I do and any of them sound good I'll let you know.

8. StrifeII

StrifeII Member

totally, but then again, the Virus is technically software too. You'll be hard pressed to find a better amp/valve sim out there!

I've used a behringer preamp and it was just fucking awful...hahah

9. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

cheers for teh comments so far guysshhhh

10. noddynoodle

noddynoodle Member

Yeah, don't have a lot of good experience with Behringer hardware, but I might just have been unlucky. Bought a wahwah pedal in France years back, which the salesman proclaimed was "tres bon" (he didn't speak English), but I found it rather disappointing.

As for distortion pedals I have a Boss DS-1 which I quite like. Mind you, I've never tried it for production, so can't say anything about it's qualities for such use.

11. motion audio

motion audio Active Member

Most decent guitar pedals will work well for processing drums and synths etc (stupidly cheaper ones will sound it). Some decent names been mentioned already, Line 6, Boss, Vox, Blackstar are some ones, Blackstars usually a little bit more pricey, but they do some valve based stuff if your looking for that sort of thing.

Sending out through a guitar amps quite a good one for stuff like this, as a complete replacement or used as a send effect mixed back in. You'll get the overdrive from the amp plus the added colour from the speaker.

Am currently in the middle of replacing my old G4 and even older Pro Tools setup, so once I've sorted my new interface I'd be happy to record a few bits for people, have an old all-valve Marshall head that wants some use again!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011