Cheap monitor solution

Cyclopyze

Here's a question... What's my best option (monitor wise) since I'm on a tight budget?
I rly can't afford to spend more then 100€ (and that's an overkill alrdy). Since I am nowhere near pro level, I refuse to belive that I have to spend what's basicly a monthly salary here for a pair of monitors.
(In before all the ''save up and buy some 400-500€ monitors which are good enough to last forever, etc.'')

I need something that's better then my 18€ logitech speakers (or gaming headphones for that matter).
Any advice /thought is more then welcome. (with the exception of the 1 mentioned before).

Well I recently picked up a £20 pair of entry level DJ Headphones for producing, purely because I too cannot afford monitors right now, coupled with the fact I live in a one bed flat so even if I could afford monitors, they wouldnt be ideal in such a small place, and unfair on the neighbours too.

I picked up these headphones after they were reccommended to me by someone who swears by them, and I gotta be honest....they are fantastic when it comes to production. Compared to my last set of headphones which I've been using for a couple of years now, they simply cannot be faulted.

These are the ones...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/entry-dj-headphones-228226

Ask yourself a question - do you actually give a crap about music? Is this what you want to do?

If the answer is yes, then save up the 200-250 quid, stop being a faggot and get a half decent pair of monitors, and spend your time doing what you love. Music is devotion, and you won't get anything decent under £200. If you can't afford to spend that on a piece of kit, you don't deserve the benefits that music will bring to your soul. Guitars are more expensive than that, pianos are more expensive than that, drums are more expensive than that. You are getting an absolute deal.

If the answer is no, then continue to procrastinate on your 18 euro Logitech gaming speakers, the result being that you will become the mad scientist from the human centipede. Enjoy your unfulfilling life because you didn't splash out £200 that you spent on KFC and belts from Topman instead.

In short, get some damn monitors and do what you love to do.

Ask yourself a question - do you actually give a crap about music? Is this what you want to do?

If the answer is yes, then save up the 200-250 quid, stop being a faggot and get a half decent pair of monitors, and spend your time doing what you love. Music is devotion, and you won't get anything decent under £200. If you can't afford to spend that on a piece of kit, you don't deserve the benefits that music will bring to your soul. Guitars are more expensive than that, pianos are more expensive than that, drums are more expensive than that. You are getting an absolute deal.

If the answer is no, then continue to procrastinate on your 18 euro Logitech gaming speakers, the result being that you will become the mad scientist from the human centipede. Enjoy your unfulfilling life because you didn't splash out £200 that you spent on KFC and belts from Topman instead.

hahahahhheeahahha

what a cunt

So what ur saying is that making music is just for the rich ? When u listen to it it's ok, but if wanna make some urself, well bugger. Also I am not sure that I will be making stuff for a whole lifetime, yes I love it, but u can do tons of other things in life that u love without the need to spend a fortune on it.

Btw, this wasn't some philosophy thread about making music, dedication and such, I just wanted some help finding some cheap speakers / headphones that were actualy made for something like this (and ofc. i know i won't be getting some uber pro stuff).

Sry if u had an awesome studio when u started out, but some of us have to get by without it.

And if u can't be polite or write something helpful (at least with a hint of helpfulness) plz don't write at all, ty. :)

Edit: I live in Croatia and I'd kinda like to just be able to walk in to a store and try them there, not too keen on buying stuff without trying it 1.

Last edited:
get some sennheisers. theyre kinda cheap, available everywhere and good!

this, if you really cant afford to (dont want to) save up for monitors, get the HD215's, BUT, you should have a HiFi aswell for comparison of the sound

your best option however is to save up the money, wait 3-4-12months to save it if you have to, and get a pair of nice flat respone monitors, that really is your best option, its not about being rich....coz infact, for really good monitors you are looking at about €2000 mininum, but it is very important that you have at least a pair of entry level (200-500€) flat response monitors like KRK, Tannoy, Alesis or even Behringer to start with, if you where rich I'd tell you spend about €4000 on a pair of Mackies and a pair of Adam's

Last edited:
this, if you really cant afford to (dont want to) save up for monitors, get the HD215's, BUT, you should have a HiFi aswell for comparison of the sound

your best option however is to save up the money, wait 3-4-12months to save it if you have to, and get a pair of nice flat respone monitors, that really is your best option, its not about being rich....coz infact, for really good monitors you are looking at about €2000 mininum, but it is very important that you have at least a pair of entry level (200-500€) flat response monitors like KRK, Tannoy, Alesis or even Behringer to start with, if you where rich I'd tell you spend about €4000 on a pair of Mackies and a pair of Adam's

Yes i know that is my ''best option'' and how this is nowhere near a real sollution etc, etc. But (and don't take me as arogant here) I didn't ask what is my best option, I asked for some help in finding some cheap replacement.
It doesn't rly matter if don't have the money for something more expensive or if don't wanna spend that much couse that's not what I asked for. (and again, I apologise if I get off as rude, im just trying to make a point)

On a side note, I just remembered I have some 10-20 years old Hi-Fi (stereo unit, right?) and some big-ass speakers with it, is there a way to find out if they're flat (tho they must be better then my current ''setup'' xD) couse I could probably use those for the time being.

theres no way easy to no if they are flat (without buying a good mic and some software), most likley they are not, but combined with a pair of Sennhiezer HD215's you should do ok, i am working on a 90's Technics Hifi and the 215's, and i manage alright, but at the same time, I had a pair of Tannoy System 800's to pracitce on when i first started, which massivly help my ears learn the sound

theres no way easy to no if they are flat (without buying a good mic and some software), most likley they are not, but combined with a pair of Sennhiezer HD215's you should do ok, i am working on a 90's Technics Hifi and the 215's, and i manage alright, but at the same time, I had a pair of Tannoy System 800's to pracitce on when i first started, which massivly help my ears learn the sound

Thx alot, then I'l probably buy those and combine them with those speakers, I appreciate ur help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom