Cheap Audio Interface

i use an io2. if you are not using it for lots of external recording, its fine.
it only has two outputs tho, so if you need a second monitor output then its no good. For instance, monitoring headphones on ableton.

100-150 bucks soo like 80 - 100 quid

and platform?

pc

i use an io2. if you are not using it for lots of external recording, its fine.
it only has two outputs tho, so if you need a second monitor output then its no good. For instance, monitoring headphones on ableton.

I think i just need it for studio monitors and to plug my midi keyboard into. maybe headphones aswell.

that statement was more along the lines of....an audio interface is a external soundcard right??? if so I need it to replace my shitty as oem soundcard. explain to me how upgrading a soundcard is what you should not do.

sorry, i just thought that "my soundcard is shit, so i need to be a better soundcard" was hilarious at the time. not so funny this time around gotta say.
i retaliated because theres really not that much to learn or know about souncards, plug it in, sound comes in and out, and sequencers run a little bit better.
id highly recommend the edirol ua 25x. i think it goes for just over £100, it has a stereo out for you speakers, and rca in, for recording sets etc.
it also has mic preamps, and midi in/out, and some of the most stable drivers in its price range.
(y)

sorry, i just thought that "my soundcard is shit, so i need to be a better soundcard" was hilarious at the time. not so funny this time around gotta say.
i retaliated because theres really not that much to learn or know about souncards, plug it in, sound comes in and out, and sequencers run a little bit better.
id highly recommend the edirol ua 25x. i think it goes for just over £100, it has a stereo out for you speakers, and rca in, for recording sets etc.
it also has mic preamps, and midi in/out, and some of the most stable drivers in its price range.
(y)

Sort of an off-topic question:

How important is it to have an external soundcard when beginning production? How much does it really affect production quality? Would it be better to wait and spend that money on better monitors or keyboards?

Cheers.

Definitely go with the onboard if you're starting out. On PC, use the Asio4All drivers to reduce latency. When you get to a stage where you think you'll commit to it, then buy an external one. If you have the dough though, buy one anyway. :)

mate have alook at the m-audio ozones.

you get a mic in, midi i/o, headphone out, a midi keyboard, line in, phantom power, ermm and some control knobs for around £100
for starting these are really good.

as for recording your mixes, get some phono leads > 1/8th. plug them into to your output on the mixer and plug it in to the line in on your pc.
orrr when you get the interface plug it into that. either way it will be good quality. hope that helps.

How important is it to have an external soundcard when beginning production? How much does it really affect production quality? Would it be better to wait and spend that money on better monitors or keyboards?

this one gets it spot on (y)

Definitely go with the onboard if you're starting out. On PC, use the Asio4All drivers to reduce latency. When you get to a stage where you think you'll commit to it, then buy an external one. If you have the dough though, buy one anyway. :)

asio4all 4 the win! such a great driver, cant believe its free!
it really is all about keeping a good balance of quality across your setup. you dont need the best of everything, but it would be absurd to have spent 2 or 3 ton on monitors, and use your on board card.
one point tho: if you're looking to record mixes, theni would suggest getting a soundcard with proper inputs, as most onboards have only mic mini jack, which sounds terrible.

so ur still gonna have much better sound if u go: monitors >> usb audio interface >> laptop than if you just went monitors >> laptop?

if you're looking to record mixes, then i would suggest getting a soundcard with proper inputs, as most onboards have only mic mini jack, which sounds terrible.

Not necessarily true. All my mixes to date have been thru a mini jack @320kbps and not one person has ever mentioned sound quality.. Just so people don't think they shouldn't use it and fork out for something they don't really need.

Some examples; http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?t=93534

For production this is completely different and should never be used unless you're after an analogue sound from a vinyl etc etc..

My view ;)

Back
Top Bottom