Chase & Status going too commercial?

This same kind of situation happens in the HxC/Punk scene as well...people talkin' of bands that "sellout" because they went on a major label, etc..but if some of those people think about it, who happen to be Sex Pistols fans, the Sex Pistols signed a 2 year contract in 1976 with EMI for 30,000. So kinda silly really that they instantly hate a band because they went to a major label. At the same time they don't realize a band who probably had one of the first albums that got them into punk rock, was signed for a lot of money to a label that wasn't DIY/Indie...

Some people probably first heard Pendulm and got into Dnb like that, and when they expanded and heard more "underground" dnb in comparisson, along with the anti-Pendulum talk, they probably jumped on the bandwagon of hate for 'em. Which is silly in itself as well.

As far as the major label thing for C&S, etc..good for 'em if they do, like others said, they're earnin' a living, doing what they love I'm sure. The only problem I have with major labels is when they try to make an artist/band change their initial sound for something more "sellable"...I've seen it happen to good bands..as long as they let the producers do tunes the way they want, then no worries here.

Any talented producer will want to diversify their sound by producing other genres of music. There is nothing wrong with that. You can't expect them to produce DnB for the rest of their days.

I know if I had their talent I wouldn't want to produce just DnB.

Making a different genre(s) helps, especially if you've reached a creative block on a dnb track you're working on. Gives you a fresh perspective when you come back to the track you got stuck with.

Well said Wizz.
I think C&S have made a load of good tunes. And I like a diverse album otherwide you may as well just carry on releasing singles. Just look at Break's Symmetry.
As for going commercial their not that commercial I mean there album has sold well and it appeals to all people due to the range of styles but I think they know their roots.
The difference between C&S and Pendulum is that:
C&S make good tunes.
C&S become popular.
C&S make slightly more accessable tunes to make an album.
(Nect stage hasn't happened yet)

Pendulum make good tunes.
Pendulum become popular.
Pendulum make slightly more accessable tunes to make an album.
Pendulum make second album designed soly to make money.
Pendulum start insulting the rest of the dnb scene.

I can't see C&S doing the full sell out act imo and I hope they don't as I love their music.
And a little bit of a commercial attraction is good for the scene in terms of both popularity and financialy.
:wave:

Well said Wizz.
I think C&S have made a load of good tunes. And I like a diverse album otherwide you may as well just carry on releasing singles. Just look at Break's Symmetry.
As for going commercial their not that commercial I mean there album has sold well and it appeals to all people due to the range of styles but I think they know their roots.
The difference between C&S and Pendulum is that:
C&S make good tunes.
C&S become popular.
C&S make slightly more accessable tunes to make an album.
(Nect stage hasn't happened yet)

Pendulum make good tunes.
Pendulum become popular.
Pendulum make slightly more accessable tunes to make an album.
Pendulum start insulting the rest of the dnb scene.

I can't see C&S doing the full sell out act imo and I hope they don't as I love their music.
And a little bit of a commercial attraction is good for the scene in terms of both popularity and financialy.
:wave:

hmmm, i think the dnb scene insulted pendulum first, and they stood up for themselves. I doubt they done it just for money. anway tehres been a million and one pendulum threads so ill stop now.

This same kind of situation happens in the HxC/Punk scene as well...people talkin' of bands that "sellout" because they went on a major label, etc..but if some of those people think about it, who happen to be Sex Pistols fans, the Sex Pistols signed a 2 year contract in 1976 with EMI for 30,000. So kinda silly really that they instantly hate a band because they went to a major label. At the same time they don't realize a band who probably had one of the first albums that got them into punk rock, was signed for a lot of money to a label that wasn't DIY/Indie...

Some people probably first heard Pendulm and got into Dnb like that, and when they expanded and heard more "underground" dnb in comparisson, along with the anti-Pendulum talk, they probably jumped on the bandwagon of hate for 'em. Which is silly in itself as well.

As far as the major label thing for C&S, etc..good for 'em if they do, like others said, they're earnin' a living, doing what they love I'm sure. The only problem I have with major labels is when they try to make an artist/band change their initial sound for something more "sellable"...I've seen it happen to good bands..as long as they let the producers do tunes the way they want, then no worries here.

wait is there sumthing ive missed? have c&s left ram?

140960729_dd7e96c2c8.jpg

also id like to add, this aint the first time dnb has gone commercial, what about roni size reprazent, the went commercial

winning the mercury music prize is a bit different to being overexposed on radio1.

and if snoop dogg millionaire becomes big in america, quite a few artist are gona want to start working with them, so then the big money will start coming their way.....

lol @ above post

but honestly shut upppp when anyone in dnb makes money they get called "commercial"
why start another thread on it??
Do you want more hate pendulum style??
Have you heard Madhouse??
are you insane in the membrane?

and you know this how.....?
In Silico was basically what they wanted to do in the first place, before Vault etc. They were a band long before they made DnB.
When they were finding a new label to release the second album on, they got offers from several labels saying they would release it if the album was just a load of slams and blood sugars etc, which wasnt what they wanted to do. Then Warner offered them their own sub-label in which they could make/release what they wanted. Taking one of the first offers would have been selling out, which they didnt do.

I was with Will from C&S Saturday and he said that Jay Z has been showing interest in potentially working with them which I think is amazing. Good luck to them both! Still making DnB Bangers for the best label in DnB and experimenting with other music projects and building their profile as artists. They will make some serious dough too! Big up.

Now that Joe Oakley that manages Pendulum is managing them they are sure to make allthe right contacts - as they are now.

Good for them.

Drum and bass needs more quality artists aiming for commercial success. That way, drum and bass will be spread to a wider audience and the money will start coming in. That will mean more worldwide festival and events, bigger labels, more tunes and artists, and everything else that comes along with it.

I've never understood the Pendulum hate thing. I don't like their music, but I've always praised the balls of trying to take dnb mainstream (and the flak/bullshit from all the elitists that comes with it).

Totally agree.

Big label clubs nights more often and more local/smaller DnB nights on a weekend.

Haven't got a problem with their musical output (they made Take Me Away last year after all, incredible track), but their dj'ing really irritates me. Its so lazy its a piss take, bordering on offensive to the punter who's paid money to get in. Their set hasn't been changed in God knows long. I'm not out raving every week by any means, but I've seen the exact same set many times. It is actually putting me off going back to a Ram night because they always get a peak time, so however you do the night, you have to endure an hour of them. Theyre not very good Djs either, but I wouldn't mind if they actually played a slightly interesting and unpredictable set.

I tend to avoid C&S sets when I'm out. It's not even that they aren't great DJs, it's just that they literally press play on the More Than Alot CD and let it go for a good section of the set. Their set at Subdub last February was insane. It just feels that having an album out has made them lazy. Think the last recorded set of their's that was epic was Breakin Science last year...

Back
Top Bottom