Chartstalker - So Confused, Sample Stealing??

jono.p

Just heard this on next week's releases..

and its obviously the vocals from Nu:tone's System, with absolutely nothing else going for it imo.

Does anyone have any info on this? How can this be so blatantly done? I've said sample stealing in the thread title but its not even a sample. Those vocals were recorded specifically for System. Is Chartstalker Nu:tone?? I doubt it with a name and track like that but how does this happen? I've heard vocals used in more than one drum track but they were usually sampled from outside the genre to begin with (probably illegally but oh well). Anyone shed some light?

EDIT: Come to think of it I have a broader question.. is drum and bass immune to copyright law?? I mean the genre is based on breaks taken from other genres which I doubt the likes of James Brown or the Winstons received royalties for (can you copyright or protect a break?), dnb producers seem to sample anything and everything they want, bootleg remixes are sold on vinyl for profit and producers use each others samples regularly. Are there ever any repercussions from any of this? Again can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Last edited:
Pretty sure there was a disclaimer saying about if you use any of the vox, you have to get it cleared with Hospital first.

This one also uses System's vocals, however 1) not so clearly 2) it's released on Hospital, so it's absolutely cleared with them

Last edited by a moderator:
(can you copyright or protect a break?)
yes. the honeydrippers - impeach the president break cannot be used without permission and iirc there's even a couple of guys whose job it is to find examples of where it has been used and take legal action

Back
Top Bottom