Charlie Van Pelt - "Struggling With Destiny"

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Charlie Van Pelt, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Charlie Van Pelt

Charlie Van Pelt Charles N. Charge

The floodgates seem to have opened regarding my output these days. Here's my second song of 2007.

[​IMG] Struggling With Destiny (chillout, ambient - 6:59)

I've actually had the melody for this song in my head since last year; I was planning to flesh it out right after completing "My Last." As you all know, that's not what actually happened.

Now, you might recognize one synth from a previous release, and that's fine. It fits this song much better, anyway. :D

As always, download and (hopefully) enjoy!

2. jay walker

jay walker 1/2 of Passive/Aggressive

Nice spacey intro, breakdown sounds too distorted on the melody.

The drums need filling up a bit, a break would really do the trick.

Like the melodys, but the levels seem well off, pads far to loud, drums not loud enough, etc.

I think switching the drum pattern / bassline on the second drop would really progress the track as well.

Solid effort tho CVP :spliff:

3. Charlie Van Pelt

Thanks for the constructive criticism, Jay.

You might have a point on those pads...I'm listening to the track now, and perhaps they could have been turned down a few smidgens. Gotta love hindsight, innit.

I'm already working on number three of this year, so I can atone for past sins. :D

4. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

i like it, its consistent. the melodies are sort of hymn ish which is a funny combination, my only gripe is that it doesnt pack any real surprises.

5. Charlie Van Pelt

You're pretty spot-on with that review, Logikz. This was one track which I didn't think called for too many switches, but rather, making the most of a minimal amount of ingredients.

Funny that you say that the melodies are hymn-ish, what with me singing in a choir and all. But I digress. :D

Until next time - and I promise, next time will not take one year. :)

6. Reactor Grits

Reactor Grits lick a shot

oi charlie (been a while eh?). not a bad track. for me the sounds are a bit too happy, bit nintendo sounding. I hear you still put your spiritual elevation into your work. I actually expected something different after the bridge, try to get something more varying on the go next time!