Change of Career

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Mr Fletch, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Hi guys, I don't frequent this side of the forums much but I'm hoping most of you remember me?! Anyway, I could use a bit of advice (Sensible advice hopefully? Although I don't hold out much hope TBH). I'm 34 years old, Been a chef my whole life, catering is all I've ever done. I've got to the point where my job sucks balls! I hate my manager, most of the people I work with are incompetent fucktards and my day to day shit is a fucking nightmare. I've been about a fair bit and know what to expect of the trade, and in all honesty, this job as burnt me out, I want nothing to do with catering at all anymore and I'm thinking of a complete career overhaul!

Trouble is, where do I begin? Like I said, I been in the catering trade all my life, haven't done anything else! I also have a mortgage and other commitments, along with a baby on the way! (I'm so excited about that part!) so taking a huge paycut to go into a course or something is kind of a no go really. I'm stumped, I have no idea what the next step is....suffice to say, if I continue in the job I'm currently in..........There will be a reinactment of Anders Breivik's shooting spree pretty fucking soon!

2. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

I know exactly what are you passing through, as I have the exact same problem. And, as you, I too have some loans, a child and wife to support (wife doesn't work, yet).

What I can say to you is: you need to have something certain, before taking the next step. You can't risk being unemployed with all those commitments. If I were in your position, I'd search something I like to do, what gives me pleasure to do. Then, I'd start to look for jobs. But I would only ditch my current job when I'm certain I'll be employed on something else.

Nowadays, I'm focusing on my musical career. I know I have potential to earn some money with it. I know it's difficult, and I know it's pretty hard to get a placement. It's kinda that "I know I'm capable of it, but if it doesn't happen, I'm ok." thing. At least, I can do what I like to do, even if it's just on the free time i've got from my crappy job.

3. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

I had no idea you guys were all proper and settled in like that. impressive. actually it goes some way to explain why you do the things you do, reactions, priorities, interests, humour and so forth.

For a family man though darkysidro you sure have peculiar taste in music.

me and tony (hyperd4eva tony tonee tone) talked about it not so long ago in a hotel room full of beak and agreed it's definitely on the cards for the future, probably him sooner than I, On account of him being a speng, but still, I think it's something that comes up sooner or later in any mans life.

However, karen points out that it's not the only purpose of life, and to treat it as such is anachronistic archaic arcane and totally removed from everything that's been driving society forward, you shouldn't have to have a kid a wife and a house to validate yourself as an adult or as a person and specially not as a woman.

fletch I'd be weary of trying to make a career out of music alone, even without kids and even if you were the single most talented dnb composer on the planet, Id think real long and hard about that, both once and twice, cos really mate, it's just not likely to happen *(I don't mean for you personally now, just statistically , in the world, the amount of people making a living offa music is next to nobody), but with your skills from catering, maybe you could look into order management for wholesale suppliers of stuff restaurants need? other than that there is always work for a chef, wherever you go, Oslo to Rio, they are always looking for chefs.

Gumby likes this.
  4. EWOKS

EWOKS POTATOES GONNA POTATE

i want hotel room & beak beak

- - - Updated - - -

or, get a second job, volunteer , open doors and try different things.. create opportunity by trying new things mate.. do a college evening class, or around your work hours, or learn some computer course online at home.. or volunteer in a youth offenders place and talk to little shits about sorting their lives out... which may lead to employment or just finding out some good dealers.. thats my plan..

theres good advice there somewhere im sure of it..

but may aswell keep the job you have, while you got commitments, and just start looking about and applying for random things, jobs that seem totally alien to you apply for it, offer to help out in random areas.. i guess really life isnt that tough , whts tough is breaking thru the conditioning that tells you you have to be in your comfort zone and you will fail at life if everything slips thru your fingers, when really it wont.. just go for shit mate.. my mate did kayaking instructor course randomly, he was in i.t. in london, hes now in canada i think kayaking teaching ppl.. not saying you need to move as you got the family thing on the way but yh.. point is.. open doors mate and see what happens...

i just got an email back from a guy who runs a charity for the homeless and rehabilitation centre .. itll be volunteer work but just gets things moving, meet new ppl.. they say to you... oh you should get a job at so and so .. just get out there and swing your balls about

5. Dark Lizardro

Yes, that's what people say to me every time. To be honest, my wife doesn't complain about my musical taste, as long as I keep my headphones on. She respects my musical taste, and I respect her "80's" taste in music.

6. JReilly

JReilly Member

Yep there is a lot of this about at the moment, I hate my job and music is the only thing I actually want to do, but the chances of it happening are slim to zero (not gonna stop me from trying though.)

If all you have is catering experience you'll just have to focus on your transferable skills when your applying for other jobs. Once you decide on a new career path try and work out what skills you have aquired from catering and how they apply to the new career choice. For example, if you are a chef, I would imagine you would have to be well organised, good at working to deadlines, used to working in pressured environments. These are all skills that can be transferred to a variety of jobs even though you do not have direct experience.

Experience isn't everything, some employers diliberatly look for people that have little or no experience so they can train them how to work the way they want them to, rather than take someone on who has bad habbits and is stuck inb their ways.

Good luck though man.

7. Eternaloptimist

Eternaloptimist Active Member

Fletch are you interested in games, web sites, ios/android apps etc?
    As you don't want to pay for a course the easiest way would be to pick up a programming language and get started. The thing I like the most about the industry is that employers overlook IT degrees. They are mostly interested in your portfolio. So yer dude, maybe you can pick up a language and make your own plugins??
    There are sites where you can get free education from eg codeacademy, coursera, udemy(some free stuff here). All you need is commitment and a text editor that you can get for free.

A close friend has started making craft beer :rolleyes: and is doing well for himself. All this was inspired by some youtube dude that does brewing tutorials!

Good luck to you Fletch. You seem a sound lad from all the help you post on the production forum.

8. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

Prostitution?

9. chz

chz Member

I was a chef for the last 4 years, finally gave it up cause of the shit hours (working splits all the time :eek:), the shit managers and people you meet and the shit wage. I tried for the RAF but was rejected from that cause of some medical problems, then i tried some local companies, but no one wants to recruit an ex-chef in office jobs!!! So ive decided im gonna study again, enrolling for a web development course that lasts 2 years. I can get a goverment loan which pays for the course, and i dont have to repay until im earning 21k. Maybe you should consider studying? But i dont know if it's viable considering your age and current circumunstances.

Become an EHO :D

10. dizzledee

dizzledee equinox

I certainly get your stance on the catering industry. 3 months as a chef taught me that it's not what I want from life.

You'd obviously have to get your research down, but I've noticed a number of companies which sell meals to cook at home. Basically for x amount they will deliver you 3 meals worth of ingredients and recipe cards which make it easy to put it all together. I'm sure you'll feel exactly the same way as I do about it when you see the prices.... riiiinse. But there is clearly money to be made here of the more affluent.

Not sure how the sector is doing, but as I've noticed more and more companies popping up, actually nearly started working for one a while back, marketing you see! I reckon approaching some of them and selling yourself with the use of your years of chefing and ideas for 'popular' recipes / methods of explaining them to the gastronomically challenged wouldn't be a bad shout.

Examples:
    http://www.gousto.co.uk/

http://www.cookfood.net/ - This is actually just a posh readymeal service, but I'd image the same applies.

I'm only a nipper, but I would definitely advise you to at least stay in the same sector with the whole kid on the way thing. Knowledge is power etc. etc.

11. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

tl:dr

but what i did read.. is my job is shit..and ur a chef.. and u got a baby coming.

well being a chef b2b baby is gunna hetic as fuck.

i reckon u shud get ur forklift license or truck license. and go sit behind the wheel. get average wage to do fuck all. plus no stress.

plus u can do catering as a side business. making gay cakes for your garage sale.

12. JHSE23

JHSE23 the yen

You've got your niche, now capitalise. Baby catering?

13. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

I hate to say this Fletch, but Suck it Up! Welcome to the horrible unhappy world of adult hood. I do not know what they tell kids in England but in the U.S. they tell all the kids if you work hard dreams come true. Maybe for to few that is true but for the 99.8% of the rest of us it is not. Work is not a dream come true for most people, it a means to live. Now you have real responsibility coming your way. Your job is your sacrifice for your child to have a better life than you. Possibly the ultimate form of love. Keep making music because it is a good attitude adjustment, but learn thrive in that fucktard environment because your a man and you deal with it. In the mean time keep looking for better prospects to make your life better. If the perfect chance comes around take it. However, don't fuck yourself, and new family over just because your unhappy. Welcome to life.
    I know you are a reasonable intelligent person and understand that I am not saying this to be mean or a dick. Rather, its good to be reminded that we have a job to do and happiness does not always play a part in it. There is a a book about parenting called "All joy and no fun." I believe this title encapsulates what it means to be a parent.
    Congratulations by the way.

14. Shatner's Bosom

Shatner's Bosom murder TANMUSHIMUSHI

Do you have a degree?

I'm in a similar position but I got made redundant as opposed to hating my job, I'm thinking about doing some course called 'Nebosh;, Health & Safety, loads of people out here who aren't too bright did one of those easily and now they earn good money doing stuff.

15. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

smoke weed, fuck bitches, acquire currency...

but in all serious... im trying to get fired so i dont have to choose to quit there have the possibility of making the wrong choice... yolo

16. Dark Lizardro

You know, you can talk to the HR of your company and ask to be fired.

17. Hombre-J

Hombre-J Currently Ballsacked

If I ever want to change carer, I just shit myself repeatedly and start biting my current one.

They usually send a new one within the week.

danwell and Dark Lizardro like this.
  18. Gumby

Gumby New Member

Thank you for reinforcing my decision to never have children. Life's too good to breed.

herojuana likes this.
  19. DJrsa

DJrsa Member

hahahaah epic way of getting fired, maybe you could try getting all outtasorts on beak before headin to work or something too.