Chain Compression

dirty ricky

Custom User Title
Does anyone here know anything about Chain Compression and how to create it with dnb? i've been hearing a lot more tracks with this. mmm..... dance floor fodder!

ps. reason user

SIDE CHAINING is used by alot of the big DnB producers...

Its a dynamic effect when triggered it compresses the bass signal when assigned to the snare hit. The side chain compressor dips the bass signal allowing the snare drum to punch through the mix and main bassline - also giving the tune a swing type effect.

Here's two tunes that are heavilly sidechained...

watch

watch

Check the swing feel on these too. Big tunes from a big engineer!

I know mate, and yea drum and bass wise it seems about the only thing people use it for, but theres people who would read it and think thats the only thing its used for in production as a whole. Wernt gettin at ya!

a different technique i beleive
yields better and more controled
results is automating the volume
on the buss used for bass whenever
the kick and the snare hit...

saw misanthrop doing this instead
of sidechaining a couple of years ago...
compression is a dynamic process...
volume automation can acheive
similar results in a more controlled
manner..

ducking the bass around 3 to 6 db FS
for around a 32nd note
whenever accented kick and snares
hit allows the transients to go through
before the bass swells back in...
with no perceived loss of bass or
RMS... handy trick if the track is feeling
squashed and the transients are
having a hard time staying punchy...

seems time consuming... but as soon
as you have one bar of automation done
its a simple matter of copy and paste...

Last edited:
a different technique i beleive
yields better and more controled
results is automating the volume
on the buss used for bass whenever
the kick and the snare hit...

saw misanthrop doing this instead
of sidechaining a couple of years ago...
compression is a dynamic process...
manner..

for around a 32nd note
RMS... handy trick if the track is feeling
squashed and the transients are
having a hard time staying punchy...

seems time consuming... but as soon
as you have one bar of automation done
its a simple matter of copy and paste...

...an even simpler alternative which the Brooked Bros taught me is to chop a tiny section of your bass exactly where the kick or snare hits and then duplicate. It gives exactly the same end result. Niiiiiccce!

manner..

for around a 32nd note
RMS...

Mistabishi did this too in his masterclass video. I guess sidechaining is just the lazy man's method! If you have a lot of different fills with drums and a lot of variation in there it becomes a real arse of a job to draw the automation.

Mistabishi did this too in his masterclass video. I guess sidechaining is just the lazy man's method! If you have a lot of different fills with drums and a lot of variation in there it becomes a real arse of a job to draw the automation.

Its actually the other way round brother. Side Chaining is the more complex method as you have to know what your doing getting the ratios and threshold's bang on.

Wicked habit to start getting into though as the results sound amazing. :D

I guess if you purely want your kick/snare to cut through, then the volume automation method makes sense. (which I never tried, thanks Sook)
Side chaining could be used as more of an effect on the bass line if you play round with the ratio/attack/release etc on the compression.

I have to experiment with a bit of this, cheers boys.

...an even simpler alternative which the Brooked Bros taught me is to chop a tiny section of your bass exactly where the kick or snare hits and then duplicate. It gives exactly the same end result. Niiiiiccce!

even better than that: in fruity you can add a peak controller on your kick/snare bus. then link the bassline's amplitude to the inverse signal coming your peak controller. that way you are 100% liquid

use this technique instead, then it's on auto-pilot

Last edited:
Is side Chain compress in fruity possible and how?
Do i need a plugin or is it already there.. ? :)

bus your kick and snare to a channel
add a peak controller to that channel, un-tick "Mute" on the peak controller so you cna hear your kick and snare.

add a compressor to your sub-bass channel, link the compressor's threshold to the the inverse input "1-Input." of your peak controller (right click on threshhold knob, click link to controller)

play around with the settings on your peak controller to reduce the amt of pumping.

paaadow!

one of my favourite ways to duck the bass signal is with side chaining: [level] = 2 hi hats , [audio to duck] = bassline.

my favourite usually is to make two muted hi hats as the [level] signal. that way you get really tight sidechaning on the bassline that you can barely notice.. but its there! :) usually i'd use a closed hat for the kick and an open hat for the snare, if it has a large tail (i still envelope the hats to control the ducking), if short tail, you can get away with a closed hat. make sure the peaks in the hihats are aligned with the peaks from the kick/snare, and boom. your done (y)

Back
Top Bottom