CDJ's..which ones?

Nautilus

(I know this isn't the "correct" forum for this, but this is the highest populous area on this forum so I figure I'll have a higher chance of an educated response)

I have come across roughly $850 usd. I am looking to get a pair of cdj's and a mixer for roughly that range. I have looked (briefly) at pioneer cdj-200s and numark ndx800s. Usb connection would be amazing, but if it goes over the price range....

Advice? what do other people have?

i know some people who use the 200, but coming from vinyl i hate using 200s. the jog wheel doesn't actually cue like a turn table and you have to press forward/back keys instead. if you get lucky/stay patient, you could get two used cdj 800s for 850 (but no usb input).

personnally if you're going to spend 850, you might as well save a bit longer then get a shit set up you'll regret in a couple of years. my question is how much longer are CDs going to be in production? does anyone know if the trend is leaning towards laptop djing? sure feels like it sometimes.

I can't really wait around for used equipment since I want/need these as soon as I get out of school (2 weeks). Are the ndx800's good/reliable/durable? (if you have them/comparables?) The compatibility with virtual dj makes it highly appealing.

I can't really wait around for used equipment since I want/need these as soon as I get out of school (2 weeks). Are the ndx800's good/reliable/durable? (if you have them/comparables?) The compatibility with virtual dj makes it highly appealing.

Seriously, if you want to mess around with VDJ, get a cheap midi controller. VDJ is pretty much a toy. If you want to use software, get some traktor/serato compatible CDJs.

No, i've already played around with vdj, but the fact that i could eliminate having to burn cds, or buy multiple thumb drives and play straight off my pc when fooling around is nice when i've had no experience as of yet. The fact that they made a completely free version is another plus. Eventually I will be recording mixes and attempting to play smaller gigs at/around my university.

i bought my axis 8's from these guys 5-6 years ago, they still work perfectly, despite being dragged around tunnels n forests n clubs :)

http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/

---------- Post added at 10:30 ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 ----------

if you are leaning towards virtual djing, then i'd highly recomend you learn Ableton as a live performance tool, its AMAZING mate, fuk virtual dj, serato, traktor etc, i know they are popular, but they are a total waste of a PC, the creative potential for sets in ableton is mindblowing, combined with a good controller like APC, you are on your way to allot of fun, and a more flexible and interesting performance. for 850 you can get Ableton Live Suite and an APC20, maybe a 40 if u search around, and still have £ to spare. I cant recomend ableton as a performance tool enough, its been making waves across the EDM scene, except in small pockets of the 'oldskool' which want to hang onto legacy technology, it has had a huge hand in developing styles like Dubstep which rely on a very complex and fast changing sound, once you move away from linear production, and into abletons Scenes & Clips mode, its SO much fun!!

check out Tom Cosm's 'mega live set' on YouTube, espcially the ones where he uses APC, hopefully you will spot the potential

No, i've already played around with vdj, but the fact that i could eliminate having to burn cds, or buy multiple thumb drives and play straight off my pc when fooling around is nice when i've had no experience as of yet. The fact that they made a completely free version is another plus. Eventually I will be recording mixes and attempting to play smaller gigs at/around my university.

youll be a laughing stock if anyone sees you or knows you seriously mix using VDJ. Pretty much all the other software out there is respectable. Iv done so many mixes on VDJ but Im never going to stick DJ on the front of my name and start passing the mixes around. Couldnt think of anything more embarrassing than even turning upto a mates birthday with a laptop and a controller and playing off VDJ.

hahaha understood. I was only going to use it to pull music off (not sure how the usb connection works otherwise). If I were to mix live, it'd be off thumb drives/cds. I'm pretty sure using all the aids within vdj is about as skillful as djing using itunes...

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:51 ----------

Being a low-income student, I don't think that dropping like 1.5k+ usd on a setup is something I can do right now. It was hard enough for me to part with 400 usd for an xbox 360...

yeah man dont bother buying anything else but the industry standard ie pioneers. I used to have a pair of vestax pdx 2000 turntables and i could mix like a machine on them. As soon as you put me on 1200's it was like learning to mix again which made it hard to transition from bedroom to a club. i dont use cdj's personally. Im selling my setup soon and headingoverseas think i might pickup a traktor kontrol s4. You could get one of those for 850 i reckon

CDJs will stay forever I think, using a laptop live with a controller can be a fucking pain especially if there is no space, and its dark, plus the clubs wiring can be hard to reach etc etc. Ive tried all these things in a live situation and trust me the hassle is just not worth it.

Get someting like Traktor and some CDJs for home and for live situations; stop being a lazy fuck and burn some CDs, its not hard ffs. The time spent at home burning a few CDs over the time spent faffing around in a club annoyin the previous dj is lightyears apart, trust me! I only use cds now, i rock up, put them in and im ready, 10 seconds. Setting up anything else - 10 minutes minimum.

But who cares you aint playing clubs yet, but bare this in mind (y)

Seriously, if you want to mess around with VDJ, get a cheap midi controller. VDJ is pretty much a toy. If you want to use software, get some traktor/serato compatible CDJs.

If you want to go the digital route (which I think is probably ALOT cheaper in the long run). You can go download the Free open source software Mixxx. I've been testing it out for several weeks now. Cool thing is, it will run with any midi controller and if you have 2 in 2 out soundcard it can also accept Serato & Traktor timecoded vinyl as well as Serato timecoded CD! With the money you have I think you could get some serious power stuff goin with this and have some money left over for tunes!

Back
Top Bottom