CDJs vs. Controllers

osmosis

I've owned a pair of technics 1210s for about a year now and use them with traktor scratch. I have started a mobile DJing company and technics are a big thing lug around with my set up and are frankly very big controllers for one purpose with little other features.

I'm looking to upgrade to either using traktor with a CDJ or traktor with a controller by a controller.
A controller is small and sleek but is a little gay and doesn't look great to DJ on and CDJs are club standard and would be useful for my career but are just as pointless as the technics.

Price point kept to £700 (£400 from the selling of the technics) for everything.

Basically what should I go for? and some suggestions of what I should get would be appreciated as well.

Safe.

technics or cdjs are a much better option than a controller if your serious about mixing in my opinon. Not sure what youre expecting them to be able to do, maybe its a mixer upgrade you should be looking at?

I think the main problem is that they are so big. I have an effects unit anyway so features wise I don't need that. I just feel that something like the traktor s4 has tones of features and looks really fun to play on although I agree it actually look like your djing with cDjs.

From what I've seen controllers are mostly used as cop-outs by people that can't actually mix properly...eg. a guy I know who I mentioned in another thread, that bought a Traktor controller on credit and uses it with a cracked version of the Traktor software, presses Sync to beatmatch tunes he gets off Limewire etc. I know (in my area at least) it's an observation that's pissed off a few 'proper' DJs :p

Of course that's just the experience I've had of them, it may be completely different elsewhere.

A controller with traktor scratch can open up a serious amount of flexibility to any DJ. You wont need to go near your computers keyboard anymore. Selecting tracks, loops, effects, hotcues. You name it, you can do it on a controller. Even if its not there by default, you can map pretty much anything in traktor to a midi command.

I would whole heartedly recommend a Kontrol X1, maybe 2 if you like some 3 deck action. On your budget you could easily afford one of these and keep the tech 12's. These aint toys anymore, theyre properly built, feel lovely to use and look professional. Go check em out on native instruments.

You can DJ on these very easily without using CDJ's or turntables by using sync. I personally prefer keeping the turntables in use and have this along side aswell as several other controllers mapped to a miltitude of functions in traktor for some great results.

A controller with traktor scratch can open up a serious amount of flexibility to any DJ. You wont need to go near your computers keyboard anymore. Selecting tracks, loops, effects, hotcues. You name it, you can do it on a controller. Even if its not there by default, you can map pretty much anything in traktor to a midi command.

I would whole heartedly recommend a Kontrol X1, maybe 2 if you like some 3 deck action. On your budget you could easily afford one of these and keep the tech 12's. These aint toys anymore, theyre properly built, feel lovely to use and look professional. Go check em out on native instruments.

You can DJ on these very easily without using CDJ's or turntables by using sync. I personally prefer keeping the turntables in use and have this along side aswell as several other controllers mapped to a miltitude of functions in traktor for some great results.

Good reply. Thats my point exactly. theres so much to do with the software! However the x1 is not good for on its own without turntables. i need to get rid of the technics and go for something smaller. and the s4 is out of price range

Good reply. Thats my point exactly. theres so much to do with the software! However the x1 is not good for on its own without turntables. i need to get rid of the technics and go for something smaller. and the s4 is out of price range

Seriously, you could get by quite happily with just an X1. No turntables/cdj's. I do when I cant be arsed with the TT's / something goes horribly wrong with the TT's at a gig or something. But I do find that boring. Theres just something about cdj's / turntables that make DJing more fun.

My biggest issue with the larger controllers is the size. If you ever roll up to a gig where other DJ's are playing on TT's aswell as CDJ's you will be hard pressed to find the space in the booth. The X1 would fit in there somewhere no problem.

You could try out a few smaller controllers like the LPD8 or the midifighter. Maybe try some of the faderfox stuff. I used to spin on a reloop digital jockey interface edition 2 when I first started. Its a great controller that would be within budget, but it still has its issues. The same with any piece of kit.

the controller market is also subject to everything else in the audio market. You get what you pay for. Skimp now and you'll get something youre not totally happy with.

I have a American Audio VMS4 which i use as an analog mixer for my 1210's, i rarely use it to actually mix with unless its like a house party or something for people i dont know and i dont wanna take records and my TT's etc.

Its an amazing controller. Built like a tank, but weighs less than a single 1210. Nice big platters too, which i like.

vms4-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom