CDJ's or Ableton Live

*organix*

Easy,

I'm selling my Technics soon :)sad:)

I recently bought Traktor scratch, but its not working for me. I love the idea, but i can't get into it. I've been looking at what's next - i've got my eye on a pair of CDJ's (Pioneer 1000's mk3), but i've been reading more and more good things about Ableton.

With Ableton live, i'd like to be able to create hours of music on the fly using controllers etc, i wouldn't want to sit staring into a laptop the whole time, which is what's half putting me off (a bit of laptop staring is granted, but i want to have fun as well!).

Do you think i'm better off with CDJ's, or shall i look at the Ableton Live / Controller route, and why? Question to number 2 please Cilla.

depends really mate, if you play out i'd say cdjs all the way (or turntables obviously), that way you can walk into any club and play without the hassle of setting all the extras up
also ableton does all the beatmatching for you which many people would look down on. It seems a waste of you spending years learning to mix just to switch to something which does it for you. You will also do a lot of laptop staring on an ableton setup

also ableton does all the beatmatching for you which many people would look down on.

why should he consider other peoples preferences for playing records?

It seems a waste of you spending years learning to mix just to switch to something which does it for you.

not really a waste, once you've got beatmatching mastered you don't need to prove yourself to anyone, and tune selection/eq'ing is more important than beatmatching anyway...

You will also do a lot of laptop staring on an ableton setup

and you will do a lot of vinyl staring on vinyl, starting at the bpm counter on cdj's, staring at your laptop on serato/traktor.

hm contemplating the same here aswell... got 3 technics, wanting to go digital... traktor plus a laptop seems a pain but think im going to have to take the dive, altho if cdj's were cheaper i would go down that route

Try both...Use what works for you.

Digital has more capabilities while CDJ's make you feel immersed. Personally...1210's and a stack of vinyl.. Mmm its just too good! If it ever came to a live sense I would definitely go with digital though.

digital (DVS) so youre not constrained to one medium.

Want to completely change your set in ableton on the fly? A bit more of a pain the butt than selecting another tune from your crate/box/bag/ass.

You could always switch out for a real vinyl/CD too if things go pear shaped.

Think of booth space also. Most places I frequent have trouble fitting in a lappy and a small midi controller, let alone a full APC 40 and whatever other midi bits you want.

As a producer playing your own stems to create live mashups and generally fuck up with too much beatmasher & flanger, ableton is great. As a DJ, I dont think it is so feasible.
traktor now has remix decks too, which could open up loads of ableton like possibilities without totally ditching DVS.

Why isnt traktor working for you?

CDJ's definitely mate, especially the pair you mentioned 1000 MK3s. Got them myself a few months ago and can't see myself wanting anything else

CDJs man! More crowd interaction

This isn't a logical conclusion by any stretch of the imagination. In fact i think most of the big players who use Ableton end up having more crowd interaction (think Lunice, Skrillex etc...).

why should he consider other peoples preferences for playing records?

not really a waste, once you've got beatmatching mastered you don't need to prove yourself to anyone, and tune selection/eq'ing is more important than beatmatching anyway...

and you will do a lot of vinyl staring on vinyl, starting at the bpm counter on cdj's, staring at your laptop on serato/traktor.

calm down bud was just giving him my opinion, there are always gonna be people who look down on "digital", i get it loads and i use serato, hence why i also said there will be quite a bit of laptop staring as i do it myself
and in terms of the beatmatching, personally i wouldn't like to switch to something which does it for me after spending years perfecting it, but hey each to their own
so next time instead of just picking apart my opinion why don't you just reply with something helpful? :applause:

calm down bud was just giving him my opinion, there are always gonna be people who look down on "digital", i get it loads and i use serato, hence why i also said there will be quite a bit of laptop staring as i do it myself
and in terms of the beatmatching, personally i wouldn't like to switch to something which does it for me after spending years perfecting it, but hey each to their own
so next time instead of just picking apart my opinion why don't you just reply with something helpful? :applause:

I'll just use your own words against you.

instead of just picking apart my opinion why don't you just reply with something helpful? :applause:

Why isnt traktor working for you?

It's alright - been using it for about 6 months. I'm not too sure what it is i don't like about it to be honest, maybe its the thought of having to haul all the gear round when i play somewhere other than my house, maybe i was expecting a bit more from it. To be honest, i think i'm just ready to move completely off decks.

I wouldn't strictly be doing dnb with Ableton, i just like the idea of creating one sound, adding layers ,looping and messing about that way - i like the idea of how creative it is.

I've been looking seriously at CDJ's, just took an interest in Ableton recently, so far i've not received a shining recommendation about Ableton, so (so far) i'm heading for CDJ's

Nice one for your help up to now

If you're talking about using Ableton for something live as opposed to mixing its a complete different kettle of fish compared with CDJs.

That's more of a what do you want to be doing in a club, rather than a what medium do you want to use question.

I wonder how long CDJs are going to last. I can't see CDs as a format lasting for another 10-20 years even, not like vinyl which has lasted for ages. Someone (I think it may have been Kasra) was saying recently that they were struggling to even find blank CDs for sale (to be fair I think he was overseas at the time).

Surely the future is these digital controllers. Surely that's easier than burning tracks to CDs all the time. Surely it's cheaper too?

Back
Top Bottom