CDJ/VINYL/SERATO which one to go for

Filler

basically been thinkin bout getting decks for some time now but vinyl cost is gonna ruin me after i fork out for a pair of 1210's...

CDj's seem the easiest way to go but i know nothin bout them, and serato seems like the perfect solution but its gnna be about £700-£800 in total and im not sure this laptop could hack it!

so im stuck with a £400 budget now, anyone got any ideas on the best way to go about this?!

well, there's cheaper and decent alternatives to serato. but if you can afford decent cdjs, then go for those instead since i find the whole setup w/ timecode vinyls/timecode cds and a laptop cumbersome.

Last edited:
For £400 you wont be able to do anything serious.
A pair of cdj 1000' cost £1500
A pair of 1210's cost £670
And then if you want Serato you need that on top of one of the options above.
My advice is Serato/ Traktor scratch cus I use it and think its brilliant.
However, cheaper, but good CD decks such as Numark axis 4's will do fine as well.
Also I recomend downloading (legally) above vinyl simply because it is just cheaper ad you will be able to get the tunes you want and not feel to guilty as your wallet empties.
Hope that helps man.

If u just wanna do little mixes in ure bedroom nothing too in depth £400 would be enough wouldn't it? coz I've been thinking about getting some cheapie CD decks coz I've got loadsa MP3's and it would cost too much to build up a decent selection of vinyl's

yeah, if u really could, then i say go for vinyl too, but just tryna to help u out.

Yeh im all about the vinyl as well and if its true about the CDJ quality being baitly different then im just going to have to man up and get myself some 1210's then get the vinyl in steadily..

For £400 you wont be able to do anything serious.
A pair of cdj 1000' cost £1500
A pair of 1210's cost £670

And then if you want Serato you need that on top of one of the options above.
My advice is Serato/ Traktor scratch cus I use it and think its brilliant.
However, cheaper, but good CD decks such as Numark axis 4's will do fine as well.
Also I recomend downloading (legally) above vinyl simply because it is just cheaper ad you will be able to get the tunes you want and not feel to guilty as your wallet empties.
Hope that helps man.

Yeh thanks it did help but im talking about everything being 2nd hand so i know i can get a decent pair of technics for around £300 if i scout them out.

Is there much difference between AXIS 4 and 9 / what CDJ's are just below the CDJ1000 cos i take it they are the 1210 of CDJs?

Personally i'd a get a pair of 1210s (MK3s!) and then like you said slowly build up your collection. After time save up for a CDJ and then start to get comfortable with that, then maybe progress some more and get another.

In my opinion everyone should know how to mix vinyl and CDs, in this day and age with so much different technology floating about, i'd hate to miss out on a set because they have CDJs and no Techs or vise versa.

I started off with some shitty decks, then got some 1210 Mk3s 6months after (best move ever), then got a CDJ800, then just this Christmas got my second 800. I have so much material at my hands its untrue, my mixes have become so varied and i can buy tunes everyday if want, and if i find a some i really like i'll get it on vinyl.

Sorry for the length, its morning and im on one lol!

Yeh thanks it did help but im talking about everything being 2nd hand so i know i can get a decent pair of technics for around £300 if i scout them out.

Is there much difference between AXIS 4 and 9 / what CDJ's are just below the CDJ1000 cos i take it they are the 1210 of CDJs?
The axis 9's are highly recomended by many people for a decent entry level cd deck. However, in terms of mixing the 4's will do fine because it is much easier to make a digital product accurate than an analouge one. Thats why turntales like technics are so expensive because a huge ammount of enginnering precission has to go into them to make them accurate. This is also why cheap turntables are poo. Cheap CD decks (as long as they have a jog wheel) on the other hand are as accurate as the really expensive ones. They are just missing things like scratch ability, mp3 playback, mint sound quality, memory for cue points etc.

In my opinion everyone should know how to mix vinyl and CDs, in this day and age with so much different technology floating about, i'd hate to miss out on a set because they have CDJs and no Techs or vise versa.
This is why Serato/ Traktor are so good because you can just roll up to a venue and use either. I played out a while ago and the venues left needle was broken, so I just cracked out the control cd's instead.

Also in terms of quality just make sure you use high quality audio files. 320mp3's will be fine. And if you are a real audiophile get wav's. These will be as good as vinyl.
Hope that helps man.

If u just wanna do little mixes in ure bedroom nothing too in depth £400 would be enough wouldn't it? coz I've been thinking about getting some cheapie CD decks coz I've got loadsa MP3's and it would cost too much to build up a decent selection of vinyl's

i really cant advise this. if youve got 400 wait and save a bit more then get quality stuff otherwise you will regret it.

Personally i'd a get a pair of 1210s (MK3s!) and then like you said slowly build up your collection. After time save up for a CDJ and then start to get comfortable with that, then maybe progress some more and get another.

I started off with some shitty decks, then got some 1210 Mk3s 6months after (best move ever), then got a CDJ800, then just this Christmas got my second 800. I have so much material at my hands its untrue, my mixes have become so varied and i can buy tunes everyday if want, and if i find a some i really like i'll get it on vinyl.

Sorry for the length, its morning and im on one lol!

Sorry for all the minor questions but i want to clear everything up,

Is there a huge difference between MKII and MKIII?

And the length is greatly appreciated it pretty much answered everythin for me :D

The axis 9's are highly recomended by many people for a decent entry level cd deck. However, in terms of mixing the 4's will do fine because it is much easier to make a digital product accurate than an analouge one. Thats why turntales like technics are so expensive because a huge ammount of enginnering precission has to go into them to make them accurate. This is also why cheap turntables are poo. Cheap CD decks (as long as they have a jog wheel) on the other hand are as accurate as the really expensive ones. They are just missing things like scratch ability, mp3 playback, mint sound quality, memory for cue points etc.

This is why Serato/ Traktor are so good because you can just roll up to a venue and use either. I played out a while ago and the venues left needle was broken, so I just cracked out the control cd's instead.

Also in terms of quality just make sure you use high quality audio files. 320mp3's will be fine. And if you are a real audiophile get wav's. These will be as good as vinyl.
Hope that helps man.

That finally cleared up all my questions about CDJ's and music quality!

NICE ONE!

Sorry for all the minor questions but i want to clear everything up,

Is there a huge difference between MKII and MKIII?

And the length is greatly appreciated it pretty much answered everythin for me :D

MK111 aren't made any more (there were replaced with the MK5's which are the same thing) so you will need to get them second hand or get the mk5's.
Basically they (mk3's & mk5's) have a clickless pitch fader. This means there is no indent at 0% so you can mix more accurately around the 0 mark. There is a button to reset the pitch to true 0.

MK111 aren't made any more (there were replaced with the MK5's which are the same thing) so you will need to get them second hand or get the mk5's.
Basically they (mk3's & mk5's) have a clickless pitch fader. This means there is no indent at 0% so you can mix more accurately around the 0 mark. There is a button to reset the pitch to true 0.

This is quite true. The MK3s don't have the pitch clitch at 0 like the 2s (personally so much smoother then 2s). They are definately a better deck then the Mk2s, for one thing they are a lot younger (so better condition thus more life and tightness) then most Mk2s found on eBay for roughly the same price. Mk5s have a few more features, bright blue leds, pitch doubler (+/-8 or +/-16) and the pitch fader works differently to previous mks. Its more sensitive and accurate meaning you dont have to pitch ride as much to get it beat.

Back
Top Bottom