DnB CDJ Question

TextBook dnb

Ok so I've moved from a pioneer DDJ T1 controller to a pair of cdj 800's

im burning mp3 discs aswell as standard .wav on audio cd format

when playing tracks on the CDJ the BPM goes all over the place some tracks rarely have a consistent speed

ive been told this is normal as CDJ's BPM/tempo is not very accurate compared to Traktor software which must keep a master BPM

additional info is the genre this problem only really happens when mixing dnb particularly jump up
other genres such as house usually stay at 128 throughout

sorry if this is a complete noob question but any info would be appreciated

cheers

what dan said.

Learn to beatmatch properly, using your ears, it won't take too long if you're not deaf, relying on BPM counters is a recipe for disaster.

just for the record i used 1210's for a while beat matching is not a problem im just curious to why the BPM counters on the CDJs are all over the place

edit - just making sure its the same with all cdjs just not a fault with mine

Fair enough mate, but unless it affects the playback of a song, I wouldn't worry too much

it's because i think it counts the bpm from the kick drums, which are all over the place in dnb.

We had pioneer 800s I was told they don't take mp3 cds, so to be on the safe side always burn as audio cd. As for the bpm counter I don't look at that for mixing but from what I remember on our 800's I never noticed the counter going crazy...

Last edited:
its all about the mixer really, not the cdjs. if its a shit mixer it wont be as accurate, if its a decent one it will be more so

don't use CDJ's that much but when I have used them I haven't really noticed BPM changing

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough mate, but unless it affects the playback of a song, I wouldn't worry too much

also this. If you can still mix using them I wouldn't really worry

only way the counters will work 100% is if you use a CDJ850/900/2000/2000 Nexus, and export your tunes using Rekordbox. Can't understand why you need them though.

oh right fuck knows actually. my point does remain, but the cdj 800s tend to be reliable enough themselves. when i last used them anyway

take your eyes off the counters and look at the mixer.
there are all sorts of controls on there that you can use to make your mix better and be a good dj.

even if the counters weren't going crazy, you cant trust them and they should be ignored.
the reason they dont work properly is what armed said. its designed for 4 beat music for dj's that cant mix.

regardless of if you should be using bpm counters or not, the reason the counters on cdj's are all over the place is because it analyses the BPM in real time whereas Traktor, Serato, rekordbox, etc, etc store the bpm in the file tags or a library file of some sort.
This is what Traktor does when it analyses a file and why you dont have to wait for your CDJ to analyse the cd you just put in.

its all about the mixer really, not the cdjs. if its a shit mixer it wont be as accurate, if its a decent one it will be more so

You absolute muppet ha :P

To OP: As said before, don't burn as MP3, it takes a fuck ton longer to load (with a heavily loaded disc) and in my experience just a bit more unreliable. Burn as audio, 4-6 tracks per cd.

0.6% rule - That's all i'll say

You absolute muppet ha :P

To OP: As said before, don't burn as MP3, it takes a fuck ton longer to load (with a heavily loaded disc) and in my experience just a bit more unreliable. Burn as audio, 4-6 tracks per cd.

0.6% rule - That's all i'll say

This. The Elitist will say what they like about it but it really helped me when I moved from Vinyl to CDJs and its a rule I stick with now, allows almost perfect beatmatching.

pcrf058054.jpg

3m%2Bscotch%2Bmagic%2Btapes%2Bproducts.jpg

#truhead

i don't know, when i tried to mix by numbers i wrecked it much more than mixing normally haha

Last edited:
Ok so I've moved from a pioneer DDJ T1 controller to a pair of cdj 800's

im burning mp3 discs aswell as standard .wav on audio cd format

when playing tracks on the CDJ the BPM goes all over the place some tracks rarely have a consistent speed

ive been told this is normal as CDJ's BPM/tempo is not very accurate compared to Traktor software which must keep a master BPM

additional info is the genre this problem only really happens when mixing dnb particularly jump up
other genres such as house usually stay at 128 throughout

sorry if this is a complete noob question but any info would be appreciated

cheers

my cdj 800s were pretty accurate but they did count the bpm in half time, so read 87 instead of 174. If your bpm counters are going crazy though (like coming up with random numbers all the time?) they may be broken.

Back
Top Bottom