CDJ or Vinyl for beginner?

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by B.unique, Aug 19, 2010.

1. B.unique

B.unique Member

I'm really torn on this decision, i've heard that you should always start on vinyl but the long term money savings on a CDJ are very appealing. would it be a really difficult transition from mixing on CDJ to vinyl? all input would be really appreciated, cheers.

2. djmotiondnb

djmotiondnb AKA Tactician

Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    The only thing you need to know is that Turntables are just plain old school and sexy

If you can afford to run a vinyl set up then do that.. could always get a digital set up? (i.e serato/traktor/torq) save money in the long run using MP3

Transition between vinyl & CDJ in my opinion isnt a problem..

At the end of the day you just gotta get whats gonna work best for you on your budget/future thinking etc.

3. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

You dont get as much of a kick in the chest from the sub on a cd than you can from vinyl...

Most importantly you cant really weld two tunes together and have a nice long mix like you can when you're spinning plastic!

What sort of tunes do you play? If you like big tunes start with vinyl and buy a cd player later on...

4. Oria

Oria Member

you will/need-to learn to beat mix regardless of the platform your choose, this skill is portable so to start off gotta be down to your budget, both to get setup and then to keep collecting new music. I would probably say go for 2nd hand entry level used CDJ's that play MP3 from CD as the cheapest option to get you up and running to learn the basics, then once you know your stuff to perhaps invest in higher spec. more standard stuff.

I have played vinyl for years and have crates of it but just got serato and as much as i like vinyl it is heavy, bulky, more costly and very easy to damage, compare that to me downloading a file for cheap that will sound perfect every time that i can backup just in case that with master tempo i can avoid audio 'wobbles' as i correct a mix (seem to do that far too much :0 ) ....

You could say these days vinyl dj is more committed than digital DJ as it is generally cheaper and easier to 'sound good' the advancements in technology over last 15 or so years that digital gives ....

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  5. djmotiondnb

djmotiondnb AKA Tactician

Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    ^^^

WUT? :teeth:

Papa what are you talking about?

6. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Member

If you are in for the long run then invest in a set of Technics 1200 mk2's and take the vinyl route, much more satisfying to mix with and a lot more skillful in my opinion. Learning with vinyl may be harder but it does you better in the long run. Or you could always snap up a good 2nd hand pair of pioneer cdj's (They are far superior to other brands of cdj's in my opinion). Which would let you get to grips with any tune you already have on mp3.

This is all a bit general, it all depends on what you like to play and your budget.

7. B.unique

B.unique Member

Thanks for all the input! i'd be mixing Drum n bass mostly, with inspiration coming from artist like hazard and taxman, heavy DnB, I'd also like to try mixing Dubstep... Vinyl does really appeal to me because of the quality of sound and the overall authenticity of it but as i'm in full time education i'm earning very little and i'm on a pretty tight budget (probably £250-£350 max) would this be sufficient to get a decent set of turntables and mixer? also if you could tell me some decent turntable/ mixer brands and models that i could get 2nd hand at this budget, that would be great, cheers!

8. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

either mate depends on ur budget
    if ur rich go for turntables as vinyl is pretty picy an its like a drug
    an if not go for cdjs ive got one an its fine easy to mix on so its all good

9. StriveDNB

StriveDNB Member

get with some friends and go from there... see which you prefer

10. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

heres what i put in the thread in waffle..

a set of technics and a mixer accompanied by Serato/Traktor is going to cost you an absolute bomb mate, thing your looking at £800-1000 or so. Serato isn't necessary, but it does seem very good. I personally would judge on how likely your going to be able to afford vinyl as it is a very very addicting/money grabbing habit. If you have a good steady income and you can afford to keep buying the tunes you want, go vinyl. If not, get a pair of CDJ's (pioneer are club standard but Numark Axis 9's are a good cheaper alternative). At £1 per tune you can't really go wrong.. Except that fact your not mixing on vinyl!

11. B.unique

B.unique Member

well i'm pretty sure i'll be starting on vinyl due to the fact that in the long run it will make a more proficient mixer, i've been looking at a pair of stanton T.62 turntables, new for about £250, i'm still searching for a mixer but the Kam KCM350, i've been told is good for the money (£120), also, i have a very good quality 100W guitar amp which i hope to use, would i need anything other than the correct leads and connections to make the setup work? i.e a preamp.... i'm still abit reluctant to buy second hand as there is so much that could could already be broken on get broken in transit, if people could give there views on my planned gear or offer some alternatives that would be great, cheers

12. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

biggest load of uneducated bollox i've heard in a while!
    u have just shown what little you know! well done!

13. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Mate cheap new stuff wont last long at all! I know bare amounts of people that bought kam stuff and fucked up well quick, deffo not worth the money in the long, absolutely no re-sale value!

IF you are worries about stuff getting broken in transit then keep your eyes peeled for stuff within 30-40 miles and go check it out :)

14. B.unique

B.unique Member

15. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

In a nut shell - NO

You can grab some decent technics for that money dude, seriously.. buy right - buy once!

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

Oh and recon'd technics from a shop is an even better idea (y) go have a word, and barter with the warrenty - more can be achieved by asking the question ;)

16. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

You can get a set of Technics and a mixer for the price of those Citronics mate. As Russla said. Buy right, buy once.. Had my technics 4 years now and god knows how many owners before me and still just as i first got them

17. emy

emy Member

It depends...

Do you want to DJ?

Or

Do you want to mix music?

18. B.unique

B.unique Member

Yeah cheers mate, i've found a pair of technics with a new vestax mixer for a good price, does this sound good to you? and even if they are in any way damaged, it would be cheaper to stick with those and have them repaired rather than upgrade in a year's time, is there anything i should look out for when buying them? any tell tale signs of damage?

---------- Post added at 10:37 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

sorry to bombard you all with my findings but your expertise are so useful to me..i've also for a pair of vestax PDX 2300 Mk 2's for a good price, does anyone have any opinions on these turntables? ,cheers.

19. dbjungle

dbjungle DJ Syklone

Do you know for sure that you want to mix... Or are you experimenting. I started on a $200 MIDI controller ( you can get them around 100 - 150 now) just to try it out. I would say try some CD decks and some turntables that friends got before you purchase anything. Each have their own pros and cons. I wouldn't do turntables myself, but that's just my personal preference. Check put some gear before you spend your hard earned cash and get what works for you.