CD or Vinyl

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by robzy, Feb 24, 2010.

1. robzy

robzy New Member

Guys, Im sure this has been posted more than a few times before but I'm really stuck between the two. I have been mixing vinyl for a few years now and have built up a decent sized collection. Only with vinyl prices being sky high and tunes seem harder to get hold of since my local record shop closed down I'm really tempted to move to CD.

My decks are starting to look and sound beaten now and I'm not sure if I should replace them with more decks or CDJs. I have never mixed CDs before and have always been scared to touch the CDJs in clubs as I'm scared of everything going wrong mid set. Most of my mates are still using vinyl but like me are not getting much in the way of new music.

Since getting half good at making my own tunes I'm really tempted to start mixing CDs and buying music from beatport or a similar site.... What do I do?

At the moment Im more tempted to chuck the decks out... do I keep the Vinyl or sell it? Obviously keeping certain albums like wormhole.

I've seen some of the big names step up to the decks with only a CD wallet so it seems now is the time.

What does everyone think?

2. rob_del_terror

rob_del_terror - ̿ ̿'̵͇̿̿з=(•̪●)=ε

3. Wellsy

Wellsy Member

totally up to you man, it aint hard to get to grasps with cdjs. I'm a cdj head and prefer it over vinyl as it makes things easier imo, not in a mixing way but as you said, all you need is a tiny cd wallet and your sorted and I find it very convenient to purchase songs anytime and get them within minutes, makes no difference what you do really

4. Oria

Oria Member

the music will be the same which is what people come for ! Get a pair of CDJ400 then you can just stick in a USB stick in each one of you whole library and away you go.

There are no real 'pros' for vinyl in my opinion, and i play vinyl, and buy vinyl via mailorder !! CDJ's cue point speeds up getting it in the mix ; CDJ's 'master tempo' means you can jog wheel forward/backward to perfect the mix without getting big sound warps from the track ; the range of speed amendement is variable to get very precise or allow trackers at the extreme to play together ; if a raver bumps into the deck table everything keeps going rather than the vinyl jump to the end/beginning of the track ; the digital quality is 100% all the time no matter how many times you play it, if it goes you can simply burn another CDR if the media gets scratched ; the media is light (weight) and cheap to buy ; a pair of MP3/WAV tracks are normally cheaper than the 2-side vinyl piece ; you can download and play immediately not have to go shopping or wait a few days for the post.

Vinyl requires more time, effort, skill and commitment (and probably cash) from the DJ

5. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

CDJs, the pros out weigh turntables massively imo. Keep your decks tho, get them serviced, and get some CDJs on top :)

6. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

from what i can tell cdjs seem to be the way forward just in terms of cost and ease of use, however keep at least one of your vinyl decks. there seem to be some classics that you cant get digitally now (diagene ep) and can only get on vinyl, so it's probably worth keeping the deck should you ever want to be able to play certain stuff.

7. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

^^ You can get anything digitally if you search enough :)

8. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

not legal then tho..

9. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

10. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Deffinatly all about 2 vinyl and a cd deck!

11. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Just seen this..

Hmm interesting views from general vinyl users.

http://www.side-line.com/forum/threads.php?id=4880_0_20_0_C

12. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

ayee but i can't find it to buy anywhere :( (or at all for that matter)

13. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

I might have this, i'll check when im home :)

14. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

15. samwiseup

samwiseup New Member

Yeh man me too, after many years Ive finally been convinced to get CDJs but I'm worried about gettin hold of like the latest promos n stuff....is it all released at the same time?

16. samwiseup

samwiseup New Member

M8 you pretty much sold it to me there! I've been pondering CDJs for years, but am worried about club CD quality, getting new promos an tunes an stuff

17. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

They generally come out at the same time as the vinyl i think? Alot of labels are releasing alot of there catalog as mp3 now. Why are you worried about club CD quality? As long as you buy it, and make sure you get the 320 .mp3 or the .wav (every download site will have one of these of both) it will sound fine.. Not sure about promo's actually, i'm guessing the mp3 release will be when the tune is officially released on vinyl (if its on both).. But if its strictly a digital tune there isn't a promo

18. dizzzeejungle

dizzzeejungle Junglist Down Under..

19. Saint

Saint Buried Audio

20. pottsy22

pottsy22 Member

Serato was the way to go for me. I was tempted by CDJ's but took a gamble with sreato and im very happy. Keeps that vinyl feel, ditches the heavy records, speeds up the mixing process in much the same way as CDJ's, reduces the price of the tunes you buy BUT crucially for me leaves the option to buy the best tunes on vinyl and all the promos you want on vinyl often long before the MP3 releases. Win Win :)