CD Dex

sine-tek

100% MC Free
I am looking to invest in a single cd deck to complement my tuntables but i only have around £300 anybody know which of these would be the best.

Stanton cd.303
Pioneer cdj100s
Numark axis9
Citronic cds6

all need to have cd-r compatibility
:monkey: :dutty:

Do you need to scratch? If not go for the cdj100 (or its replacement the cdj200). If you do need to scratch then go for the CDS6 or Axis9

Vestax CDX05, no contest.

Scratch mixer, TT-LINK with Tascam TT-M1 (trust me, this thing is feckin cool, it has a sensor on your vinyl, and basically, whatever you do to the vinyl replicates exactly on the CD)

I've got an Axis 9 and recommend it highly.

It is excellent - does everything you need it to. EXCEPT scratching. I guess the scratch is okay but I hate hearing cds scratch as compared to the real thing. On the other hand, Anthony Harvey of the Stylers scratched off mine... so maybe it isn't so bad... Actually, it can't be...

There is no comparison with the Pioner CD100 - which is primitive as fuck compared to the Axis - less pitch range (Axis has 0-200), no tone, no effects (Axis has 10 - variable), no loops (Axis even has an option to keep the loops synched), no bpm counter (even works with dnb! though I wouldn't abuse that)... you can play the Axis like an instrument, not just pop cds into it and press play.

Haven't used the others (apart from Pioneer...) but am upgrading from the Axis 9 to a Numark CDX-1, the one with the vinyl on top - but not because the Axis 9 is crap.

IMPORTANT the Axis 9 is exactly the same inside as the Axis 8 apart from having more cue points (the difference is between a thousand and a couple) and not having a midi/digital connector (the Axis 9 doesn't have them). Axis 8s are a lot cheaper if you can find them and will work exactly the same - basically just they have a different color... black might be cool but why pay for it? I've opened them up and checked btw.

Last edited:
sdm said:
CDJ100S, the best bedroom CD deck on the market IMO (y)

IMO very mediocre and overpriced compared to the competition - the others blow it out of the water in terms of capabilities and quality AND price... Axis 8-9 is basically club, not bedroom, quality - no rotating platter though which is why I'm upgrading to a CDX1.

Last edited:
Cheers for the feedback guys. think i'm gonna spend the extra £50 and go for the new pioneer cdj200, looks like the best value i reckon. any ideas on a mixer around £200? :thumbsup:

The only reason I mentioned the pioneer is because the cdj200 (the new one) has a more accurate pitch than any of the other players you mentioned. The cdj100 has proven reliability and skip resistance, not sure about the others. But it is definately outdated now.

@Dustek: The axis 9 has a touch sensitive jog wheel, the axis 8 doesn't. The axis 8 just has a crap unusable scratch effect and is not as good as the axis 9

Axis 8 - 9 -> in my experience work exactly the same as far as the wheel is concerned -> I've had them both... As far as scratch is concerned... sounds exactly the same to me but I'm not enthusiastic about the effect.

Vinyl is vinyl when it comes to scratching though I've heard the CDX1 is amazing...

Dustek said:
IMO very mediocre and overpriced compared to the competition - the others blow it out of the water in terms of capabilities and quality AND price... Axis 8-9 is basically club, not bedroom, quality - no rotating platter though which is why I'm upgrading to a CDX1.
I'm just going on my experiences, the CDJ100 can take a lot of carnage in the home and club environment, that's a fact :teeth:

I have no idea on anything other than Pioneer decks really, I've used them the most.

I CDJ200 doesn't seem all that worth while though, it's like 400 bucks isn't it? One of it's advantages is it can read CDRW/MP3 CD's which most CD decks in the club cannot read, seems silly if you play out a bit.

Hmm...

I've played on CDJ100s and really hate them but yeah, they're tough, I've seen ones that look older (wear & tear) than some of the ravers and they still go.

But my then Axis 8 is still going fine after two years. My friend's Axis 9 gave him some trouble but we opened it up and sorted the problem out - they're not that complicated inside - easy to figure out.

Want to buy my Axis 8? :)

Dustek said:
Hmm...

I've played on CDJ100s and really hate them but yeah, they're tough, I've seen ones that look older (wear & tear) than some of the ravers and they still go.
Sorry, but I don't understand what's not to like? :teeth: They play CD's, they have a pitch, the cue is easy to use? The display is easily readable in light or dark situations? Granted they might not have all these 'fancy features', but they do the job well.

Secondly, you see Pioneer's at pretty much all Drum & Bass nights these days (CDJ100, 800, or 1000).

Just my 2 cents yet again! :slick:

The 100s as compared to the others in their price range have virtually no features...

They might do the job as a cd player but they're extremely basic. Just a cd player with a minimal pitch and cue at a very significant price. They're damned expensive for what they do.

Basically just press play and pitch a little and that's all you've got. A vinyl deck for the same price gives you a lot more options... and thats just plain wrong.

For less $ in a different cd player you can have 0-200 pitch, key lock, effects that are as good as seperate effect systems, loops, bpm counters, thousands of cue points = you can use less expensive players in many more innovative ways i.e. play them like a sampler, match loops, drop effects... Won't play like vinyl but gives you as many, but different, options. I won't mention scratching because I think they sound like shit (I'm wrong) but you can do a good rewind on an Axis and won't sound that bad.

The 800s and 1000s are very good but they're expensive and you can get the same features in other decks for less (a lot). But then again you're paying for the Pioneer brand and 'cool' factor.

Dustek said:
For less $ in a different cd player you can have 0-200 pitch, key lock, effects that are as good as seperate effect systems, loops, bpm counters, thousands of cue points = you can use less expensive players in many more innovative ways i.e. play them like a sampler, match loops, drop effects...

the less functions a machine has, the better it does em.

and why on earth would anyone want to over-pitch somefin at 200% ???

GorDo said:

Finally, sometime I can agree with (y)

Nah, I get what y'all mean by having a nice simple machine that performs well (harks back to the PDX vs 1210 argument) but, the Vestax deck is rather good, either as a simple machine, or as a fully loaded deck de resistance!

GorDo said:

Can't agree to that generalisation. A simple machine can be crap at what it does and a complex one can be excellent at what it does - Trabant vs Ferrari and its the same with musical equipment.

Playing on a cd deck is different from playing on vinyl. You can do a lot of things that sound great by using loops and cues AND you can hear them happening on mix albums, they're definitely not coming from vinyl (unless the djs have the same album on 4 decks) but still they don't sound artificial. Artifical Intelligence sound great off cds and they're not just pressing play (they use P1000s from what Ive seen).

And I'm not talking about using effects which I think are corny.

If you just want to press play and pause and pitch a little, the Axis 9 still comes in 40 quid cheaper than the Pioneer CDJ100 - and you never have to press a button more than you want.

As far as pitch is concerned - 200 is overkill but 80% and 120% isn't - brings ghettotech up to jungle and house up to breaks - WITH KEY LOCK doesn't go smurf and sounds okay. All about using it the right way.

Then again, I've also got PDXs which makes me a nu-skool bastard who doesn't know shit. :clown:

Last edited:
Had a look at the Pioneer 200 - doesn't look bad (mp3, loops etc), bit pricey. The Vestax is also quite good (mp3, loops and a 'vinyl sound' effect) - good price for what you get. I'd probably get the Vestax for the vinyl effect and mp3 if I was buying a new midrange cd player but it is more expensive (50%) than the Axis 9.

Back
Top Bottom