CD Decks

Dj Jammin

VIP Junglist
So What do you think of them? I was dj'ng at a party on friday and they had this shit Dj on before me with Cd Decks He didn't understand mixing he just faded one song into another. I personally hate them :D

Have to disagree with you that they are shit, i brought a pioneer cdj200 to compliment my turntables and it has led to me me mixing more varied and interesting sets, due to the fact that some tunes you just cant get on vinyl anymore but places like tunetribe and bleep have entire label back cataloges for 79p per track. Its true that some people rely on them to heavily but they are a fantastic tool to have, buy one use it and you will love it.

Shit mixing has nothing to do with the decks but the dj.

I mix vinyl and cds and have seen plenty of crap djs using both mediums.

Your crap dj would be even worse on a vinyl deck. Technics does not make you better (though Vestax does :)

No doubt you can get excellent smooth mixes out of the nice CD decks, you just have to caress them gently, like a beautiful woman ... :teeth:

try it - depends on how you feel; if its for pleasure / home Dj use you may prefer records, but DJs who play out are driven by gettting recent tunes onto the dancefloor, and being able to mix while stoned or drunk! i enjoyed using them on the radio, but fuck me i cant afford a pair myself.

yeah, in your bedroom.

sarcasm aside, its just plain easier to mix on CD decks, you seem to be claiming its hard.

Im with mesh on this one. I own CDJ 1000's and 1210 and I can honestly say it is easier to get in sync using technics as the pitch slider has a better feel (i never use my hands or touch the platter), however onced locked your CD's are never going out and there is a digital readout with goes as low as 0.02% so when giving those little nudges you can pitch up 0.02% for it to go back in then return it to exactly the same pitch as before, how can u do that with technics?? I do find the pitch slider on the cd decks is a little loose for my liking i would prefer it to have the same feel as what the technics has, if that was the case the CD's would be absolutley perfect

yeah it is a bit weird, the lack of friction on CD pitch sliders.
btw coshhy i will be clocking the new mixes shortly

When did i claim it was hard? I've never mixed with cd decks and never will, im simply saying they're gay ;).

what big boys use cd decks?
Pendulum, Noisia, and pretty much every big name Dj that plays the darker side of Drum & Bass.

If they're not using CD's, they're using Final or Serato Scratch on their laptop, such as Roni Size.

Loads of UK DJ's still use vinyl. London Electricity still uses vinyl and always will. They say music just sounds better on vinyl. DJ zinc still uses vinyl and hes the best...

yeah, Andy C and SS are two other big names who make a point of only playing vinyl. Its worth pointing out that they can afford to get dubs cut of any tunes they want.
My point is that any DJ who refuses to use CDs because they are 'gay' is locking themself out of a lot of possibilities to play good new music and move with the times. Vinyl is not going anywhere soon, junglists still love it.

But I get to play new unreleased CD shit from awesome producers, local and UK; DJ Jammin would never be able to spin such tunes with that attitiude, even if he had authorised access to it.
Which he doesnt and I bet thats part of the reason he thinks its 'gay'. boo hoo.

love em, i can play my own tunes out without having to wait for them to get signed or shipping them off and waiting for a dub ($$$) to come back, only to find out that i needed a bit more sub/bit less 5K/bit more cowbell.
Finish a tune, whack it on cd, play it that night, fix it in the morning if it's out, can't go wrong

Spend a grand on a paid of CDJs and a mixer and by the time you've burnt 23 tunes to CD you've saved more money cutting dubplates than your decks and mixer are worth.

Mushntgrumble.

Anyone heard of tradition? Cd's dont compare in sound quality to vinyls, There's something about analogue sound that just whips digital compression all round the floor

Back
Top Bottom