CD Decks

hey I take what I can when it comes to fun!

what do you think of software like Final Scratch, the skill of decks with digital technology >?

"Special vinyl records pressed with a digital timecode are played on normal turntables. The timecode signal is interpreted by a computer, connected to the turntables through an interface called the Scratchamp. The signal represents where the stylus is on the record, in which direction it is travelling, and at what speed. This information is interpreted by the computer and used to play back a digital audio file which has been 'mapped' to the turntable.

In practical terms, this means that any audio file can be manipulated as though it were pressed on vinyl. This has a great many advantages for DJs, not least that a laptop computer can often hold tens of thousands of audio files, whilst a record box has a decidedly smaller capacity and is much heavier."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Scratch

"Special vinyl records pressed with a digital timecode are played on normal turntables. The timecode signal is interpreted by a computer, connected to the turntables through an interface called the Scratchamp. The signal represents where the stylus is on the record, in which direction it is travelling, and at what speed. This information is interpreted by the computer and used to play back a digital audio file which has been 'mapped' to the turntable.

In practical terms, this means that any audio file can be manipulated as though it were pressed on vinyl. This has a great many advantages for DJs, not least that a laptop computer can often hold tens of thousands of audio files, whilst a record box has a decidedly smaller capacity and is much heavier."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Scratch
Sounds gay :teeth:

I use both CD players and turn tables. I am a big fan of CDJs. A lot of music is not released on record and I don't want to limit myself. Not to mention they are extremely easy to mix on.

I use vinyl, cd, loop sampler (when possible), effects and files when playing, hell I even read from science books on top of tunes when playing downtempo stuff.

Bad players (and dj's) are bad no matter what format you are using, crappy cd players are the worst, but if you learn how to play with lousy equipment you can handle almost anything that comes in your way. If you limit yourselves on one format only you're missing quite a bit from art of dj'ing. Cd's has loop function that can be used creatively if you have imagination. It's mostly the person behind the equipment, not what format is used.

I recently moved on to vinyl by the side of cd's because half of the stuff I like to play has to be bought as files or vinyl other half I can find on cd's. I prefer _all_ the tracks I play are legally obtained, support the artists and labels. In a way you can't compare cd's to vinyl, I think they are great ways to support each other, rest is up to you.

I'm not limited to playing only certain type of stuff, I play from ambient to 200+bpm "sonic warfare", jazz, blues, rock, beat poetry and anything in between. If it fits the mood of the mix it fits there.

My crappy cents...

Last edited:
cd mixing is crap. vinyl is king and always will be. Ithink that using a cd deck to play a tune that you havnt managed to cut on dub is ok but playing a whole set on cd to me just seems wrong. ive been mixing 11 years and never had the urge to switch. big up the 1210 massive.

cd mixing is crap. vinyl is king and always will be. Ithink that using a cd deck to play a tune that you havnt managed to cut on dub is ok but playing a whole set on cd to me just seems wrong. ive been mixing 11 years and never had the urge to switch. big up the 1210 massive.

I see music as music whatever the format. I like to have vinyls cause there nice to collect. But if I get a classic or something like that I tend to burn to disc, cause im not risking scratching my precious vinyl, besides alot of classic need pitching out of most decks range so tis also handy for them circumstances, just record pitch up then you only have to add a few % when you use in the cd player.

i enjoyed using them on the radio, but fuck me i cant afford a pair myself.

you can get them well cheap these days, this dual cd deck below is only £150, they may not be pioneers but for that price who gives a toss, i used to spend that on new records every couple of weeks, a soon as i got a bit of spare cash im defo getting me a pair
BMR174002-2.jpg

gotta admit though, i'll always love vinyl. big up to the dj's that keep it alive. nothing better that getting your hands on 12 inches on black plastic and getting down and dirty with it:hotpants:

I'm seriously thinking of selling my cd decks and getting: this to put alongside my Vestax. Don't see much point in burning tracks from Beatport onto CD when I can put them onto my Macbook.

I'm seriously thinking of selling my cd decks and getting: this to put alongside my Vestax. Don't see much point in burning tracks from Beatport onto CD when I can put them onto my Macbook.

Think of the reliability issue, what if the system crashes??

What CD decks do u have, I need another CD deck, but I am a tadge fussy with what equipment I will let my delicate hands on!

OS X is stable or at least as stable as CD decks. I've had cuing problems with cd decks no matter whether Vestax, Pioneer or Numark. I use Numark Axis 9s. They fail to cue maybe 1% of the time. Not too serious a problem if you're quick on your feet. Not as reliable as vinyl decks of course...

Cd Decks arnt the best bit of equipment, BUT....... if you can use them well e.g. pendulum then its sounds fine, i still say stayin with vinyl is the way foward!!!!!

:rave:

some claim they can tell the diff in a club because a decent sound system picks up all the freqencies that stay in a vinyl press , that are stripped out with an .mp3 burnt to CD. but if its straight from a .wav file I dont know what the effect is ....

You know how the big boys get dubplates? They get sent high quality mp3s by AIM and then record them to vinyl or CD.

So the quality issue is probably crap then. Besides I have a couple recorded sets of dj's who have played around southampton and I have looked at the wave output when i chop into tracks and obviously the guy was pretty poor at getting his levels right as there is huge peaks and falls in the wave output. (normally should be pretty steady except for the breaks and shit even during mix shouldn't really peak up excessively from what level was before).

But did i notice at the event, FUCK NO! Although it is quite noticable on my home stereo, but thats big peaks and drops not just chopping off some of the frequency. But it's open to the jury, i tend not to use MP3 n e ways, it's all about copies of the original disc cause I aint takin the original out with me :teeth:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom