CD burning - advise request

tej0

Hello guys,
I've spotted a gig where I'm not able to play with my Mac and controller which is my standard gear, so I'll be forced to play with local cdj's. The performing with cdjs instead of controller itself is not problem for me as I was trying to practise with those for plenty of time, but the issue for me is the way to organize my music. I don't know how many songs to burn on one CD, what CDs should I buy or which SW is the best for burning. I bought 10 Sony CDs last week and burned them as Audio CDs in iTunes and It didn't even work with CDJ 100s. The Verbatim CDs work fine. So I'm afraid of coming to the club, putting them into CDJ and failing of being able to even play them. I know there are some threads discussing this, but I didn't find suitable answer. What is the best way to sort the tracks to each CDs? By the track's key, title, release or sth else? I would appreciate any opinion or help. And sorry for bad english
Cheers
Teo

As far as organising goes, it changes loads per person, i usually burn them through release, so an album or ep ect on one if theres loads of singles ill sometimes burn about 10 to a cd and duplicate it. Everyones different though i know someone who burns 1 song per cd!
When burning cds just don't use cheap ones, i stick to Verbatim. I burn them through itunes just make sure you burn them as an audio cd!

as long as you don't burn tracks to the same cd that you want to mix together, and you organise them in a way thats simple enough for you to find the track you want, when you want... you're golden.

there really isn't much more to it than that.

also leave like 2-3 seconds silence between the tracks (that's an option when you burn through itunes), i had the same issues at the start, then i started buying moderately good cds and it was fine

In addition burn at a slower speed for longevity . I organised by newest to oldest in key from 1A upwards

In addition burn at a slower speed for longevity . I organised by newest to oldest in key from 1A upwards

tumblr_makekrXt011qhax3so1_500.gif

you're supposed to know your tracks well enough to imagine them being mixed in your head first. that's one of the fundamental points of mixing / dj-ng. that you're in charge, not a god damn computer that organizes the tracks for you and beatmatches them for you and then perhaps selects them for you as well. so what if at some point 2 tracks that you thought would go well together, don't in reality - it doesn't matter, it's not supposed to perfect.

i personaly would organize my cd-s by label as i do with vinyl. as for how to burn them - one release per cd. with freebies perhaps i would put bunch of them on one cd tho. also i think it's good idea to write a release date and label on a cd as well.

Last edited:
i just wait till i have like 33 tunes ready and then i organise them by alphabet and burn 11 tunes per cd, is a bit chaotic but if you play often enough you get used to it and know what to find where

also dont hate on guys that do it in another way, seriously are we like 10? You guys make it seem like djing is some holy grail, and well, it's not, why not embrace technology if we're doing it in every other aspect of our live? (for the record I use vinyl and CDs and I don't mix in key, but whatever floats your boat man I'm not one to judge)

Last edited:
Big thanks to all of you guys for such an response. As I have my playlist on my Traktor SW (that's obvious, I'm digital dj, consider it lame or not, that's not the point), where sorting of playlist can be done with one click, I can do my mixing very quickly this way. I don't use SYNC button etc. to do beatmatch for me. I have never said that so I don't see your point @fuuz3r with your statement that PC chooses and beatmatches the tracks for me. Key detection (like Mixed in Key, Traktor key detect feature) is used by a lot of DJs, not only the digital ones. As I said before, I'm not regular CDJ "user", this will be my first time using them on a gig, so I just want to make things easier for me a little bit. That's why I'm asking :)

also leave like 2-3 seconds silence between the tracks (that's an option when you burn through itunes), i had the same issues at the start, then i started buying moderately good cds and it was fine

what for?

OP, cdj100s can be a little picky when it comes to CDs, but all the other ones i've used read the cds 100 didnt read just fine

with audio cd's it makes it easier for the cdj to read them and there happen less faults, at least thats what i've been told (and what I've more or less experienced)

you're supposed to know your tracks well enough to imagine them being mixed in your head first. that's one of the fundamental points of mixing / dj-ng. that you're in charge, not a god damn computer that organizes the tracks for you and beatmatches them for you and then perhaps selects them for you as well. so what if at some point 2 tracks that you thought would go well together, don't in reality - it doesn't matter, it's not supposed to perfect.

i personaly would organize my cd-s by label as i do with vinyl. as for how to burn them - one release per cd. with freebies perhaps i would put bunch of them on one cd tho. also i think it's good idea to write a release date and label on a cd as well.

Just curious, do you ever play out? Cos it sounds like you've never had to dig through your cd case in next to no light or understand that CDs rarely end up where you took them out from. Having the key at the front can really help get you out of a sticky situation, regardless of how well you know your tunes. Most of your post is speculation.

well i just organise mine by number and unless I'm wasted (which really is never a good idea when playing out), i always put them back where they belong as soon as i have some seconds time so that's deffo possible

Just curious, do you ever play out? Cos it sounds like you've never had to dig through your cd case in next to no light or understand that CDs rarely end up where you took them out from. Having the key at the front can really help get you out of a sticky situation, regardless of how well you know your tunes. Most of your post is speculation.

step your CD putting back game up :v

Gigabytes..

ah yes forgot some people have 50 000 000 tracks on their hdd-s. yup, deffo can't know your tunes then.

- - - Updated - - -

yea man. listen to cele and john :)

also, what part do you consider speculation. the one where i talk about mixing or about cd-s.

Back
Top Bottom