Caused a bit of debate.

RUSSLA

Technique
VIP Junglist

I personally think this granddad needs to stop hating on MP3s and start trying to make the systems work better with them - But apparently i'm completely wrong. I do agree MP3 is a gash format, i'd play WAVs but if the big heads dont then why should I.

I'm all for the future and keepin up with technological progression and except what's real and happening.

What you bumlords think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Was it a mass debate?

a discussion involving more than 2 people
or a wank!

the guy makes some valid points and obviously knows what he's talking about.
i think his level of perfection is way beyond that of most people.
personally i think he could give 5% of his time working with sound and use that time to concentrate on his hairstyle.

hes probably right but he still makes music seem irritating rather than enjoyable.
i recon he needs to chill out maybe wash his ponytail and then stop being a snob!

We all know how shitty they sound. It's a shame on one wants to fork out an extra £4 and get it on plastic.

What if people only bought the good tunes?

i agree mate
however so i hear a lot of choons are cut to plastic from 320 mp3s

id love to have all my tunes on vinyl but its just not possible when theres no where to buy em an you cant order online

It's a shame on one wants to fork out an extra £4 and get it on plastic.

Not always the case though mate. Some tracks only get a digi release and won't get the wax treatment. Unfortunately as much as I love vinyl, (Vinyl>>CD is my personal preference) the digital side of things is becoming increasingly bigger and is something people are going to have to embrace, i'm afraid.

My point is tho when on a big rig its generally so loud and people are so mashed they arent guna complain about a DJ using CDJs, let alone hear the difference between an MP3 or a WAV or vinyl for that matter. its about the selection and vibe tracks bring.

I have every sympathy with people who want to buy tunes but cant 'coz they dont get big enough print runs (for whatever reason) but why do people at the top use them? They never used to have any problems getting tunes did they. :confused:

but why do people at the top use them? They never used to have any problems getting tunes did they. :confused:

As cutting dubs is expensive and can be a little timely. Say "X" DJ is playing out one night and a producer AIMs them over a new track that day, all it takes is a quick burn to CD and it's done. Thus eradicating the need to rush down to a cutting house and paying money to get a plate cut.

My point is tho when on a big rig its generally so loud and people are so mashed they arent guna complain about a DJ using CDJs, let alone hear the difference between an MP3 or a WAV or vinyl for that matter. its about the selection and vibe tracks bring.

This x2

Personally, I couldn't care less if a DJ's using vinyl, cdj's or an mp3 controller with a laptop.

wav is actually better quality than vinyl

24 bit 96Khz WAV has better sonic quality than vinyl. 1 six minute file will be around 120MB which requires a lot of bandwidth if sold on the internet thus bumping up prices to around the price of 1 vinyl record for 1 audio file.

Fuck sound quality

Utilising digital formats has made the art of DJing increasingly easy and takes a lot of the fun and soul out of DJing.

24 bit 96Khz WAV has better sonic quality than vinyl. 1 six minute file will be around 120MB which requires a lot of bandwidth if sold on the internet thus bumping up prices to around the price of 1 vinyl record for 1 audio file.

That very well maybe the case, but you couldn't burn that to CD as defined by Red Book standard I'm afraid. Although I doubt you'd loose much audible quality in the conversion, it's still a bit of a null point mate :-/

edit - as he just said in the video... typed that before watching...

To be honest, I think the guy is spot on. Everybody wants to get louder, bigger and badder, but they sacrifice quality to do so - so what's the point?
All goes back to having a GOOD 'source', without this (as he states) you compromise quality every step of the way.

Anyway, these videos I'm about to post are related, in terms of what he's saying about loss in sound quality etc

Well worth watching - especially when he talks about subtracting the results from the source. It's amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
That very well maybe the case, but you couldn't burn that to CD as defined by Red Book standard I'm afraid. Although I doubt you'd loose much audible quality in the conversion, it's still a bit of a null point mate :-/

Its not in the concept of what he was talking about in the video. Perceived sound quality on a Funktion One sound system between vinyl and a 24 bit 96Khz WAV, played through a laptop connected to a 24 bit 96 KHz soundcard, would be noticeable.

These are obviously ideal world scenarios but the theory is correct.

There are a lot of weak links in sound systems all over the country in clubs though so in the real world it makes it a null point.

Back
Top Bottom