Caused a bit of debate.

Serato DJ's are a pain in the fucking arse when they turn up with all their shit gettiing in your way while they plug in the box and laptop etc.

Serato DJ's are a pain in the fucking arse when they turn up with all their shit gettiing in your way while they plug in the box and laptop etc.

Yes. There's someone who did this after Sammy played out a while back. I'm not dropping names, but the guy managed to cut everything out, midway through Sammy's mix. It's not the one and it's not DJ etiquette really.

Innit.

See, as much as Serato and Traktor are considered 'the future of dj-ing' or whatever you wanna fucking call it, how comes clubs still have no way of elimating the long and drawn out and frankly rather annoying setup process? I know there are mixers with the serato function bulit in but no clubs I play at for the music i play would use those mixers cos they're pretty pony.

"I can play new tunes on my Serato box"

Yes, but you're an annoying cunt gettiing in my way setting up the blasted thing. Fuck off

Good read this thread, alot of stuff I wasn't aware of... :2thumbs:

I'm coming from a completely different angle, I play purely off CDs that I have recorded off my vinyls, for 2 main reasons, my reggae sets usually contain so many tunes I would need somebody to help me carry the vinyl needed to achieve what I want, also, alot of them are super expensive & I don't want them stolen, or more likely damaged by myself during a drunken super rewind!

But...

I recorded them in 320 & I wanted to maintain that gritty vinyl sound, with all the "snap, crackles & pops" as it were, so for me, CDs/MP3s work fine, Serato would be good, but I don't want to be "that guy" turning up & raping the last 5 min of next mans set all in his face trying to set my shit up!

This thread could turn cancerous though, so just drop me a PM if it ends up needing Chemo yeah. ;)

Ideal world would be to rip the vinyl, using elliptical needles for best quality, into a good 24 bit 96Khz soundcard to your audio editor on your laptop/desktop. Save the file as a WAV at 24 bit 96 Khz to get optimal sound quality from your vinyl. When you burn it to CD the CD burning program will downsample it to 16 bit 44.1Khz CD quality.

CD quality audio (WAV) has a frequency response of 30Hz - 22Khz. 320 KBS MP3 has a frequency response of 30Hz - 18Khz. If you look at a frequency analyser when a 320 kbs MP3 is playing you will notice that the frequency will roll off at around 16 - 18 Khz. Anything above this frequency is compressed by 4:1 to make the file size a quarter of what it was but you lose a lot of the high end dynamics in the process.

320 kbs mp3 freq rolloff

320rolloff.jpg

Innit.

See, as much as Serato and Traktor are considered 'the future of dj-ing' or whatever you wanna fucking call it, how comes clubs still have no way of elimating the long and drawn out and frankly rather annoying setup process? I know there are mixers with the serato function bulit in but no clubs I play at for the music i play would use those mixers cos they're pretty pony.

"I can play new tunes on my Serato box"

Yes, but you're an annoying cunt gettiing in my way setting up the blasted thing. Fuck off

Whether anyone likes it or not, Serato is becoming more and more popular all the time

The number of djs in this scene that are using it has grown and grown since it became avaliable

Off the top of my head drum and bass djs using it that are worth mentioning include:

Hype
Marky
Marcus Intalex
SPY
Die
A-Sides
Klute
Makoto...

There so many more but this is just off the top of my head... just in drum and bass... which is probably the scene it's used in the least!

For anyone that wants a more comprehensive list of djs using serato across all music scenes have a butchers here: http://serato.com/artists

BASICLY, isn't it about time clubs invested £500 (which really is pittance to any decent nightclub) in an SL3 box to completely eliminate all the crossover hassle? Any dj using serato would literally have to turn up with just their laptop, put it down by the decks, plug the usb cable in, and er, well that's it actually. Absolute minimal fuss. Takes about as long as taking off the previous djs vinyl from the turntables, or cds out of the cdj.

The sooner people get with the times the sooner all djing formats can co-exist in awe inspiring harmony, for the good of mankind.

Whether anyone likes it or not, Serato is becoming more and more popular all the time

The number of djs in this scene that are using it has grown and grown since it became avaliable

Off the top of my head drum and bass djs using it that are worth mentioning include:

Hype
Marky
Marcus Intalex
SPY
Die
A-Sides
Klute
Makoto...

There so many more but this is just off the top of my head... just in drum and bass... which is probably the scene it's used in the least!

For anyone that wants a more comprehensive list of djs using serato across all music scenes have a butchers here: http://serato.com/artists

BASICLY, isn't it about time clubs invested £500 (which really is pittance to any decent nightclub) in an SL3 box to completely eliminate all the crossover hassle? Any dj using serato would literally have to turn up with just their laptop, put it down by the decks, plug the usb cable in, and er, well that's it actually. Absolute minimal fuss. Takes about as long as taking off the previous djs vinyl from the turntables, or cds out of the cdj.

The sooner people get with the times the sooner all djing formats can co-exist in awe inspiring harmony, for the good of mankind.

not problem with serato and i cant speak for the others who have commented... but i think the problem is just the crossover?! couldnt give two fucks who does and doesnt use it (y)

Hype
Marky
Marcus Intalex
SPY
Die
A-Sides
Klute
Makoto...

Yeah I kinda agree with Rich. People wanna use Serato? That's all good. I think using a laptop to play music is incredbly soulless but thats just me.

Yeah, its gonna be the way it goes in terms of Djing etc etc but it just makes djing so fucking clinical when its meant to be fun. And at least with two copies of a record you dont have to worry about a laptop dying mid-set (which ive seen happen and is highly embarrasing for the dj and the crowd in attendance).

Personally, and this may be a bit of tangent here but is quite relevant, I think the digital revolution has killed the art of djing.

How? Well, djing used to be about buying tunes and practising til you thought you were good enough to play out, record mixes etc. Now anyone can plug in a laptop with Ableton and claim to be a 'DJ'. I think the term DJ has become way too broad over the last few years. I know people who are playing out regulalrly, but they arent DJ's. Sure they love music but they lack any form of skill or knowledge of how to put a set together and just 'play tunes' (most of the time shit ones) which i think is pretty fuckiing boring. Even with dj's who use cd's, most of them pitch them to the same tempo, keep the pitch where it is and just select tracks. Again, for me, pretty fucking boring. Djing is not only meant to stimulate your ears buts also meant to be entertaining and i think it's lost that quality. DJing is becoming too easy, when there should be a degree of hard work and practise involved.

Like I said this isnt aimed at anyone, just something ive been thinking for a while. rant over...

I agree wholeheartedly Wayne on a personal level & from an electronic DJ's point of view, where your mixing/turntable/eq'ing prowess is usually the major thing in focus.

But look at Reggae Soundsystems.

Selectors, the way a sound is "measured/judged" isn't on how many double drops they can do in 3 minutes, or if they can triple click flare or whatever... Its more about telling a story & taking people on a journey using music.

They don't mix records as such, or rarely do & if it is, its a small blend between tunes on the same riddim.

So in my opinion, so much focus has been piled on to mixing capability & what next man is using etc etc.

That people have forgotten about the key thing.

The music.

I feel physically sick when people play one tune after the other to the point where we're getting 32 bars a tune...wtf? They must know it's wrong but maybe the format's urging them on?

Yeah I kinda agree with Rich. People wanna use Serato? That's all good. I think using a laptop to play music is incredbly soulless but thats just me.

Yeah, its gonna be the way it goes in terms of Djing etc etc but it just makes djing so fucking clinical when its meant to be fun. And at least with two copies of a record you dont have to worry about a laptop dying mid-set (which ive seen happen and is highly embarrasing for the dj and the crowd in attendance).

Personally, and this may be a bit of tangent here but is quite relevant, I think the digital revolution has killed the art of djing.

How? Well, djing used to be about buying tunes and practising til you thought you were good enough to play out, record mixes etc. Now anyone can plug in a laptop with Ableton and claim to be a 'DJ'. I think the term DJ has become way too broad over the last few years. I know people who are playing out regulalrly, but they arent DJ's. Sure they love music but they lack any form of skill or knowledge of how to put a set together and just 'play tunes' (most of the time shit ones) which i think is pretty fuckiing boring. Even with dj's who use cd's, most of them pitch them to the same tempo, keep the pitch where it is and just select tracks. Again, for me, pretty fucking boring. Djing is not only meant to stimulate your ears buts also meant to be entertaining and i think it's lost that quality. DJing is becoming too easy, when there should be a degree of hard work and practise involved.

Like I said this isnt aimed at anyone, just something ive been thinking for a while. rant over...

I 100% agree mate, which is one of the reasons I route for Serato over something like Traktor or Ableton, because there is absolutely no "sync tempo / auto beat matching" function, using Serato to dj doesn't really make actually djing any easier.

I think if you want to talk about true djing in the purest form, no shortcuts in the slightest, then you have to play vinyl, but that's just not going to happen with everyone. This scene has and still exists on a dubplate culture, and djs just don't have the time or money to cut a new tune they recieved in the morning to play out the same night...

Enter cds and "laptop djing" I'm afraid, my reason for the bunny rabbit ears is that at the end of the day, before the music even got on to the plastic, it was all made on a computer. Does cutting a single tune to a single side of a single vinyl suddenly give it a soul? Surely up for debate? But at least things like Serato are somewhat of a middle ground between vinyl and cds, cds being a cheap imitation of the vinyl format, Serato giving the dj the option to still play a set with vinyl, at a higher quality sound than cds.

Anyway the names I listed above are simply to show that it's becoming more and more popular with big name players, so surely it's about time clubs clocked on to the fact that if they buy a box themselves, smooth dj transitions can be ensured. To be honest, the way it's going, I'd probli hazard a guess that vinyl is being used the least in clubs by djs these days, then Serato, then cds, with Serato slowly catching up to first place as nobody is leaving Serato for vinyl / cds yet vinyl and cd djs are being converted all the time...

who cares about reggae they only got that one song anyway, its always the same song, at least to the people able to discern patterns,colors and numbers from the world. no no no what were discussing in this thread my dear andrew is cd-j mixing or something with jumpup being shit? i didnt actually read but suffice to say you should go back to listen to fleetwood mac (tusk is highly recommended for a man of your stature) and find a nice biker granny to settle down with.

I 100% agree mate, which is one of the reasons I route for Serato over something like Traktor or Ableton, because there is absolutely no "sync tempo / auto beat matching" function, using Serato to dj doesn't really make actually djing any easier.

I think if you want to talk about true djing in the purest form, no shortcuts in the slightest, then you have to play vinyl, but that's just not going to happen with everyone. This scene has and still exists on a dubplate culture, and djs just don't have the time or money to cut a new tune they recieved in the morning to play out the same night...

Enter cds and "laptop djing" I'm afraid, my reason for the bunny rabbit ears is that at the end of the day, before the music even got on to the plastic, it was all made on a computer. Does cutting a single tune to a single side of a single vinyl suddenly give it a soul? Surely up for debate? But at least things like Serato are somewhat of a middle ground between vinyl and cds, cds being a cheap imitation of the vinyl format, Serato giving the dj the option to still play a set with vinyl, at a higher quality sound than cds.

Anyway the names I listed above are simply to show that it's becoming more and more popular with big name players, so surely it's about time clubs clocked on to the fact that if they buy a box themselves, smooth dj transitions can be ensured. To be honest, the way it's going, I'd probli hazard a guess that vinyl is being used the least in clubs by djs these days, then Serato, then cds, with Serato slowly catching up to first place as nobody is leaving Serato for vinyl / cds yet vinyl and cd djs are being converted all the time...

I hear what your saying geez

I guess where I'm coming from is more the 'cult' of the DJ thing has pretty much vanished due to digital formats making it easier for just anyone to play a few tunes and claim to be a DJ, not so much a rant on the technology itself. Saying you were a dj meant somethinga few years ago, even if were just someone who dj'ed out occasionally you were obviously good enough for someone to give you a platform.

Now....any fucker and his dog rocks up with a lap top, a folder full of tunes and calls themself a 'DJ'. For me, its just cheapened the idea of djing is a bit

Sorry if I'm not making any sense btw

I guess where I'm coming from is more the 'cult' of the DJ thing has pretty much vanished due to digital formats making it easier for just anyone to play a few tunes and claim to be a DJ, not so much a rant on the technology itself. Saying you were a dj meant somethinga few years ago, even if were just someone who dj'ed out occasionally you were obviously good enough for someone to give you a platform.

Now....any fucker and his dog rocks up with a lap top, a folder full of tunes and calls themself a 'DJ'. For me, its just cheapened the idea of djing is a bit

perfect sense my man! eveident in the number of facebook names with dj x in it...

Nah I get what you're saying completely man

If I had it my way, vinyl would be the only existing format lol a true test of a djs skill

But at the end of the day, whatever the platform, if you got skills, you got skills, and hopefully you'll be recognised for that

Marky uses Serato, everybody still knows he's a badman dj, Spectrasoul use cds, we still all know their sets are tight as

It's just a shame some people try to discieve us and we let them get away with it (pre pitched cds / mp3s, could name so many names, but won't)

Well for one, how can you be a DJ without any discs?

I mean, laptop jokey isn't the same. LTJ.

Wait a minute, Bukem knew this would happen from the start!

Years ahead of everyone!

And i guess there is a bit of negativity toward the technology in that using cdj's are quite easy as all you really need to do is match the bpms on the screen and i hear that on one of the laptop formats theres a way it can beatmatch for you. I guess thats what I mean by it being quite soulless

I love buying a record and looking at the grooves, seeing where the breaks are etc. Looking at it on a laptop screen isnt the same in my eyes

Back
Top Bottom