Categorizing Your Music?

ReeceO

Hair Dye Addict!
Hey all,
I did a search but could only find about categorizing sub genres of dnb not what I wanted,

I was wondering how do people categorize their dnb music? Some people put all tunes by certain artists in an artist folder or albums in an album folder with songs in seperate named folders for each song. Or do you all just like a huge folder all clumped into one :D

All the MP3's i have are on a disk somewhere stashed away from prying eyes due to the shame of me buying them in the first place.

All music (mostly DnB) i have on my : D drive. It's a mess, it really is.
Sets all over the place, Albums, Compilations.
You name it, it's somewhere in my : D drive lol.

My mate once spent 2 days categorizing his music in different folders like rap hardstyle dnb nshit like that, was kinda pointless in the end tho. I have all the shit in one folder but tho it is categorized by release names (Lp, ep) stuff like that

Music catagorising is a bitch, Ive changed my ways so many times over the past 15 years, The way I do it on my Comp now works well for me, Genre/Released/Year/Artist - Tune. I had to do a specific 2000-2002 set a while back and the way I used to have my music organised didn't really help me much, Spent what felt like a week searching through discogs, The main thing Im trying to do now too is check that everything is named 100% correct too

i just categorize it by the date when i buy it because i usually buy 10 or more tunes at once so yeah

Hey all,
I did a search but could only find about categorizing sub genres of dnb not what I wanted,

I was wondering how do people categorize their dnb music? Some people put all tunes by certain artists in an artist folder or albums in an album folder with songs in seperate named folders for each song. Or do you all just like a huge folder all clumped into one :D

Oh to be a digital dj...

You guys don't have to deal with tangible goods, so orgainisation shouldn't be an issue!

dont organise folders, just whack it all in one, then use wmp to search for you, and if you find a song on wmp and not sure where it is, just right click -> open containing folder. saves a lot of time and effort

I have a Mixes folder, and a Beatport/D&BA folder, and a Youtube folder for any tunes that never got a release.

Everything else is sorted by itunes.

I've been ripping my vinyl collection to mp3 ... organising it on the file system by 'Release Label' then filling the tags (album, artist, track, year) with the various info so that WMP & CDJ's are usable

I've got mine in sub-genres, Darkside DnB, Liquid, Old School DnB and Jungle, Old School Hardcore.

I'm moving away from vinyl soon so I'll it find it easier to just group my tunes by sub genre.

well i have my single tracks (dnb) named like so 'artist [original artisit if remix in brackets] - track title'... i find this method the easiest for browsing through.

my regular music ie albums is all just in folders by artisit title

i used to do all that categorising shit but it actualy (for me) made finsing stuff less intuatuive!

i used to keep it all in genre folders, like dnb, dance, hiphop/rap, punk/ska, rock/metal and oldies/others.
but that became far to hard cos of cross-genres.
so now its MUSIC> ARTIST> ALBUM or individual tunes in the artist folder.

HOWEVER, sets do not go in these folders, sets go in either DnB Sets, Dubstep Sets, Breaks/Fidget
and then the DnBSets folder has sub cats like Global Gathering 05/06/07/08/09, Random Concept Vol... or a folder with the whole event in, One Nation Opera House x/x/09

i also have a folder called dubste tunes, these are just individual tunes in a random folder cos....why not

Back
Top Bottom