Cartridges

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by muzzadj, Aug 16, 2011.

1. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Easy all.

Im looking to buy some new carts after having Shure Whitelabels for a year or 2 and going through 2 pairs with the same problem (stylus bending and losing quality and skipping). Sent a message to Shure to send me some new ones as the replacements are still under warranty and as soon as they arrive they will be sold. I can get £160 or so for the pair so im looking for some decent carts that won't piss me off like the Shures for around the same price.

I've been looking at these..

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/ortofon/concorde_elektro_twin

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/ortofon/concordedjs_twin

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/ortofon/concordeprosilver_twin

Can anyone shed any light on the difference between them and if it would really be worth spending the extra money on the more expensive ones? Or does anyone have any other recommendations? Im not into scratching before this thread gets flooded with scratch needles.

Cheers!

2. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Ive got the blue DJ S's and theyre really nice. Although i cant comment fully on performance as im awaiting a new amp as mine is terrible quality.

3. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

I'm surprised ur whitelabels have fucked up so badly!
    I've got the shure m447s and they have been blinding!
    Only thing I could think of is you've got some fake ones or maybe ur tone arm/weights are putting too much pressure on them, but im confident u would have set them up right so fook knows!

4. herojuana

herojuana hairy kuala

Well I bought second hand technics and have just been using the carts they came with (got some shure m447s in the post though) but I had an ortofon and a stanton 500, and prefer the stanton by a long way. not a fan of the ortofon really

5. DTR

DTR the village idiot

I had the same problem with my Whitelabels. If you like the way they sound then get some Shure M35Xs. They sound almost the same but are much more rugged.

6. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Good to hear someone else has had the same problem and I don't just have an equipment busting mixing style!

Those M35Xs look great, but how do i attach them to my Technics tonearm? Will i need to buy a headshell or something??

7. DTR

DTR the village idiot

Yeah they fit a standard headshell. It doesn't have to be a Technics one, they're all standard.