Cartridges and Bass

osmosis

Yo Peeps,

Played my first gig on Friday! Twas sick but I had a problem that my needles vibrated with the bass, it didn't jump but made my traktor timecode look really weird and sometimes it fucked up. Any tips? I guess just putting a coin on the cartridge but i don't want to fuck up the stylus.

Safe

Sounds like feedback. More weight would make it worse. Make sure the turntable is set up properly (level, weight balanced then set between 2.5/3.5g, tone arm level, antiskate adjusted) and is well isolated (sides not touching anything, stood on isolation pads or a concrete slab). It could also be that the monitors are too loud or to close to the decks.

Cheers mate,
I turned down the monitor that helped and because the club had no technics I brought my own which are pretty well adjusted so I guess its that isolation shit cause it was just on a piece of wood :/ clubs are unbelievable with decks, its stupid

I played with the techs right next to the bass bin. Didnt help that the carts were fully weighted until they were dragging on the vinyl.
But yeah, my scopes in traktor were fucked from the bass, so much so that I had to switch to midi, for one of the TT's it was simply too much, needles skipping, etc. They werent isolated.

I recommend you get an X1 if you dont already, theyre great little controllers and if the timecode is borked (as it so often is these days) then you can go midi and still play a great set.

Last edited:
yea thats a fair shout man, my mate has an x1 but I much prefer doing vinyl :/

Yeah, so do I. Use both.

Its not just a savior if your Techs are mashed, its got all the transport functions, looping, effects, etc all in one little convinient package. I dont touch my laptop when I gig.

I played with the techs right next to the bass bin. Didnt help that the carts were fully weighted until they were dragging on the vinyl.
But yeah, my scopes in traktor were fucked from the bass, so much so that I had to switch to midi, for one of the TT's it was simply too much, needles skipping, etc. They werent isolated and looked like a 5yr old set them up, pretty stupid if you ask me.

I recommend you get an X1 if you dont already, theyre great little controllers and if the timecode is borked (as it so often is these days) then you can go midi and still play a great set.

I'll tell Aaron you think he's a 5 year old :P

Back
Top Bottom