Cartel - Chainmaker new completed tune

The first thing I noticed on the track were the solid drums you laid down, especially by :22. Also, the "lurking" sub was pretty big. 1:30 felt kind of like a breakdown, and by 1:52 I felt that a bit more should be going on sonically (maybe add some incidental samples, a faint arp or something?). I really liked the total cut-off at 2:15—it was jarring, but in a good way. Not much was happening in the actual breakdown, again I feel you could add extra parts. I did really like the distorted bass. One last thing is that the second drop at about 3:10 needs more of a buildup to set it off, I feel.

Overall the song hangs together quite nicely.

BTW, I'm a new producer myself, so if I said something wrong or off base I apologize in advance.

nice snappy clean drums mate

like the square wave / neuro type bass u got going on. If i were doing this tune id make that more in ur face but thats just how i would do it.

I agree about 2.10, nice lil addition to the tune... i will be trying that in one my productions.

Good work my man

cheers lads, appreciate the feedback. Ive spent too long on the tune now so im probably gonna leave it as is haha. i tried adding more around the breakdown but it didnt feel right as its quite an understated song. i also tried a big buidl up before the drop but opted for the bass growls in the end as its a bit different. WIll deff bare it in mind for my next tune tho. thanks again!

your drums are really nice and so is your bass, but the drop is too 'sudden' because the pad sound is still going and stops abruptly... try to highpass it or turn op the wet on the reverb, so the pad disappears when the reverbed kick at 0:43 hits

overall great tune, really dark :)

your drums are really nice and so is your bass, but the drop is too 'sudden' because the pad sound is still going and stops abruptly... try to highpass it or turn op the wet on the reverb, so the pad disappears when the reverbed kick at 0:43 hits

overall great tune, really dark :)

cheers man, i played around with that part of the track for ages and in my head the drop coming suddenly worked best, as i couldnt get other options to work. highpassing it away could be an option. will deffinately consider that when i make my next tune. cheers for the feedback! rep'd!

Nice sounds tight mixdown etc, but the track itself is quite boring in my opinion I actually wanted to stop listening after 1.10 / 1.20 or so.

Nice sounds tight mixdown etc, but the track itself is quite boring in my opinion I actually wanted to stop listening after 1.10 / 1.20 or so.

i appreciate the honest opinion. i struggle to find anything to add to it with out it sounding a mess. what sort of things would you suggest?

...but the drop is too 'sudden'...
This reminds me of Dubba Jonny :D And for the track:
-First of all-fucing great drums(especially the snare)
-The sub bass sounds really good to me although I can't feel it(fucking headphones and shit...)
-Also I think that the bass sounds too low(maybe the sub bass is killin' it)
-All in all this is an amazing track, cheers mate! :)

i like it man, think its quite sick, bass is really sick, and the drums are clean! the reversed rise u have in amongst the break, u should bring down in voluume, only a minor thing, the part after the inital drop with the steppy drums, i think you need to change that tho :)

i like it man, think its quite sick, bass is really sick, and the drums are clean! the reversed rise u have in amongst the break, u should bring down in voluume, only a minor thing, the part after the inital drop with the steppy drums, i think you need to change that tho :)

cheers man. do you mean the second drop kinda thing, where is goes a bit minimal? i truied to put that in ther for variation but it is quite a sudden change. glad you like it tho.
also, cheers to toxicolora for the comment. the bass is a really low e which doesnt seem to come through the mix that well!. cheers for feedback

listening through .... i think if you had a more live feel in your drums and some lo passed buildup before the drop at 44 ish. the crash cymbal i think should just be played at the drop and impact points and there should be massive reverb on it. the hats feel too mechanical and don't groove. id like to hear more of that atmosphere coming back in around 1:30 and id like to hear a buildup from 1:30 to 1:52 then continue the buildup more openly, cut everything out at 2:00 and have that pause you have at 2:10 there. again i think you overuse the crash. should use some filters at 3:00 and have some reverb on the reese and some risers. if you have a drum vst you should open up a metal kit and lay down maybe a fill after the pause back into it at 4:05. again having more atmosphere coming in and out if you restructured it to keep it interesting. I really like the track otherwise i wouldn't be this specific. the guy above said it gets boring and i think thats true cause it sounds like you're focusing on certain things and still haven't brought the track together so it keeps the identity of the track, like its its own world from the beginning to end. you might shorten it by a minute and see if you could change up some drum patterns and have more complex turnarounds like playing switches and moving the rides.

hope this helps you. track feels a little too polished you might dirty the drums with a limiter and boost. i really like fabfilters limiter.

listening through .... i think if you had a more live feel in your drums and some lo passed buildup before the drop at 44 ish. the crash cymbal i think should just be played at the drop and impact points and there should be massive reverb on it. the hats feel too mechanical and don't groove. id like to hear more of that atmosphere coming back in around 1:30 and id like to hear a buildup from 1:30 to 1:52 then continue the buildup more openly, cut everything out at 2:00 and have that pause you have at 2:10 there. again i think you overuse the crash. should use some filters at 3:00 and have some reverb on the reese and some risers. if you have a drum vst you should open up a metal kit and lay down maybe a fill after the pause back into it at 4:05. again having more atmosphere coming in and out if you restructured it to keep it interesting. I really like the track otherwise i wouldn't be this specific. the guy above said it gets boring and i think thats true cause it sounds like you're focusing on certain things and still haven't brought the track together so it keeps the identity of the track, like its its own world from the beginning to end. you might shorten it by a minute and see if you could change up some drum patterns and have more complex turnarounds like playing switches and moving the rides.

hope this helps you. track feels a little too polished you might dirty the drums with a limiter and boost. i really like fabfilters limiter.

cheers for the feedback, exactly the kind of stuff im after. i deffinately agree with using drum fills, im totally shit at making them though! never really know where to start with them. i guess i got a bit lazy with the percussion too, should probably remove some of the crashes and what not. will bare all this in mind with the next track. im done changing this one for now, might come back to it in a month or so. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom