car amp

Because a car amp is designed to run essentially off a car battery they require a a DC source, usually 12V. What you need is a power converter. You must be careful however:

Ohms law states that Power (w) / Voltage (V) = Current (A)

If you had a regular 1000w amp running at 240v it will draw 4.166 amps.

If you apply this to a 1000wamp running at 12v it will draw 83.33 amps.

Now this is a high current, and you must remember you are not going to be maxing out your system. Just remember that you cant simply cut the plug off of the nearest nokia charger and wire up a car amp, you will just melt the charger. It needs to be fused, and be wired with cable rated to take the current.

the impedence of the speakers used and number of channels used are also major factors in the final value of the current drawn by the amplifier. Im not goin into that though.

I wouldnt recommend using a car amp unless you use a car battery

In answer to the original question... it would be far better, easier and cheaper to just buy some proper amps and speakers!

The people who make them do know what they are doing believe it or not, so if car amps and speakers were any better at doin the job everyone would have that set up!

Also, my amp for my decks is fan cooled yet still gets slightly warm. The amps for my car audio are not, they just have heatsinks and give off a fair bit of heat when runnin alot of power. I'm thinkin there is a good reason why the home amp is fan cooled!

Just get some proper speakers

Because a car amp is designed to run essentially off a car battery they require a a DC source, usually 12V. What you need is a power converter. You must be careful however:

Now this is a high current, and you must remember you are not going to be maxing out your system. Just remember that you cant simply cut the plug off of the nearest nokia charger and wire up a car amp, you will just melt the charger. It needs to be fused, and be wired with cable rated to take the current.

the impedence of the speakers used and number of channels used are also major factors in the final value of the current drawn by the amplifier. Im not goin into that though.

this really :)

I wouldnt recommend using a car amp unless you use a car battery

:word:

The reason car amps work at such low voltage is because they have ridiculous cranking power (amps), whereas on a household single phase 240v circuit you can only get ~13A.

Back
Top Bottom