Can't seem to come up with good basses at the moment...

ARTFX

Artist, sound designer and tutor
VIP Junglist
Hey guys, really struggling at the moment on some basslines so thought about opening a thread.
I mean, I'm working on more and more tunes lately but always seem to have problems with creating good bass sounds. Then I mean in Drum & Bass because my Dubstep basses are fine.

I'm really trying hard making that dark, neurophunky type of basslines but always come up with something that sounds too hollow/dull/etc. Everything else like FX's and Drums are not the problem imo..

So please everyone, give me some tips, techniques you use often or other stuff like tutorials so I can work on this part. Been searching the web for hours now but can't seem to come up with any idea's for my basslines.

you ever been thinking about dubstep and asked yourself what it would be like without the halfstep beat with shuffle hihats and massive (the vsti) wobble workout? you ever considered doing something influenced by idm or... i dont know, detroit techno? make a dubstep cover of a ramones song. lord, i really have to do some work now i just been scratching my ass all day

Yeah been thinking about that, but just don't seem to be able to come up with good neurofunk basslines.

you ever been thinking about dubstep and asked yourself what it would be like without the halfstep beat with shuffle hihats and massive (the vsti) wobble workout? you ever considered doing something influenced by idm or... i dont know, detroit techno? make a dubstep cover of a ramones song. lord, i really have to do some work now i just been scratching my ass all day

Have no time to produce in those days... produce for me lazy ass!

Hey guys, really struggling at the moment on some basslines so thought about opening a thread.
I mean, I'm working on more and more tunes lately but always seem to have problems with creating good bass sounds. Then I mean in Drum & Bass because my Dubstep basses are fine.

I'm really trying hard making that dark, neurophunky type of basslines but always come up with something that sounds too hollow/dull/etc. Everything else like FX's and Drums are not the problem imo..

So please everyone, give me some tips, techniques you use often or other stuff like tutorials so I can work on this part. Been searching the web for hours now but can't seem to come up with any idea's for my basslines.

Play in the low register of your midi keyboard, assign LFO to cutoff.
:devilslay

I'm in lamer mode today.
In fact i don't think i can really give you some tracks, you seems to do well, just experiment more, maybe do a careful listening at your favorite neuro tracks to set how they did it?

Cheers man, work flow will come back soon.

Forgot to say that neurofonk is the hardest style to produce IMO.

Yeah been thinking about that, but just don't seem to be able to come up with good neurofunk basslines.

damn hard work, i had the same problem (hollow sound), a little trick i've been playing with, if you have your bassline split up into bandwidths (def the way to go for the neuro sound), double/triple/+ up the low-midrange channels, add chorus/phasers/distortions etc, warm sum of them too, and then push them a couple of ms forward (tracking), maybe try 1 @ 5ms, 1 @9ms, and leave one at 0ms aswell, mess with the panning aswell, I find distorted sounds work best center, warm about 30% and top end crunch/hiss/dist at 100% stereo; filtered, compressed & sidechained right it can make sum filthy punchy dirtyness. theres more to it than that, but i'm only just workin it out meself (tis how i created this: http://soundcloud.com/5meo/5meo-its-in-my-head-dark-neuro-tech ..of course i still got alot to learn!)

Just think simple and keep it simple on the way.
The very trick on these kind of reeses/basslines it's the phaser, filter-cutoff and resampling.
Also, don't think that with just one bassline going you'll have a warping bass, you must (if you want... lol) resample tiny bits, like 1/4 patterns, and layer them over with new phasing/flanger effects, or new distortions,
that way you'll have a much more definite and richer neuro bass.

oh, something i just like to put is, triangle and 2 sawtooth all together into 1 disto and the good processing comes after that... but well that's easy to figure out ;)

I have this problem where i'll be sitting at work and I get all these great ideas for songs and basslines while im sitting here listening to my ipod
Then when I get home and its time to produce I just draw a blank lately and don't really feel like producing
I think the fact that I already spend 8 hours of my day in front of a computer before I actually get home to produce doesn't help anything

Also, I always try to make my shit too complicated and then end up getting no where
I just need to learn to simplify and.... maybe I need to write down my ideas at work when they come to me, that way when it is time to produce later I have something to work with

I just need to learn to simplify and.... maybe I need to write down my ideas at work when they come to me, that way when it is time to produce later I have something to work with

not thread related btw, but.

I'm studying informatics and yes, that happens a lot.
My ex-gf ended buying me a small notebook to write things down, It helped a lot :)

Back
Top Bottom