Can you recommend me? (hardware) - I am a beginner DJ

andrewt7941

Hey guys, basically, I am looking to start DJing but I am not sure whether to go with Vinyl decks or CDJ's? I am also looking for an altogether budget between £250 and £400. I am also wondering if it would be better for that sort of price range to buy better 2nd hand equipment than not as advanced brand new equipment. Just looking for the main stuff, no need for speakers amps or anything, i have some speakers already. I am also mainly into drum & bass.

I have been swaying over to the CDJ's due to the ease of finding music and not having to fork out allot for vinyls etc. I have mainly been looking at the numark ndx 400's and the pioneer cdj 400's. Please let me know if these are good or any other ideas/recommendations for me.

It would also be great if you could link me some mixers which would tie into this budget!

Thanks!
Andy

yo
i think its best you save and get something proper. dont buy decks that you will want to get rid of in a few months. i made that mistake after buying a pair of stanton st8s then playing my first gig on 1200s. i wanted the 1200s straight after but i couldnt sell the st8s for what they were worth...get me?
since you seem to be talking about a budget i think u better forget about vinyl for now

try and get cdj 100s and a decent mixer... be careful not to buy scrap on ebay!

Yeah I know what you mean, problem is, I am 15 and probably wont be doing any serious djing until I get to around 17 most probably. Also, would a better mixer and not as good decks be better or better decks and slightly not as good mixer? Do you think if I upped my budget another 100 then I could get something worthwhile?
what do you think of the ndx400's and the pioneer 400's?
Thanks man!

get a pioneer mixer or a allen and heath one(industry standard)...you are most probably going to use the same equipment for a number of years so get the best that u can

Ok thanks for the advice however, if I was to go with either the numark ndx400's or pioneer 400's which would you go with?
Thanks

yo
i think its best you save and get something proper. dont buy decks that you will want to get rid of in a few months. i made that mistake after buying a pair of stanton st8s then playing my first gig on 1200s. i wanted the 1200s straight after but i couldnt sell the st8s for what they were worth...get me?
since you seem to be talking about a budget i think u better forget about vinyl for now

try and get cdj 100s and a decent mixer... be careful not to buy scrap on ebay!

THIS!!!

i was too eager to get everything so i got cdj830 and then djm 350 and litterally 2months later i wanted a 4 channel mixer and another deck :/

As previously mentioned, if you choose to go the vinyl route you need to get Technics. If you buy another brand, the first time you actually play on Technics you'll be pissed you didn't buy them in the first place.

To paraphrase Jay-Z: it's hard to go back to hamburger helper once you've tried filet mignon.

Cheers.

Pioneer CDJ-350 (2 of them)
Behringer DJX750 (It's a 4 channel mixer)

That is Is what we started out with 2 years ago, and we're still using them.
A year later we bought a CDJ-1000 secondhand of a friend who didn't use it anyway for 300 euros.

I can only give you one tip and that is, Buy Pioneer Cdj's of technics. If you're gonna be a dj, you'll have to use the stuff you get at gigs.
And that's mostly Pioneer & Technics.

Good luck!

Haha thanks but im really indecisive in this situation. Are pioneer 400's better than 350's?
Also I have seen some 2nd hand numark ndx 800's (pair) for £390 and then an allen and heath mixer for about £115

pioneer pioneer pioneer pioneer pioneer pioneer
numarks are cheaper for a reason. feel free to bag the numarks then visit this thread in a year and say i should have listened teddy, u were right.
350's or 400's pretty much similar. one is replacing the other so u might be able to get a better deal on the 400s as they will/have stopped making them

if u can and im sure u don't wanna hear it but try and stretch to the cdj 800/850s

Yeah I know pioneer are a great brand, only problem is that below the 800's they seem pointless for the money but im gonna try try try to stretch my budget but Thanks for the advice again. Im a bit indecisive because im only a beginner and the reality is that I wont DJ in clubs for another couple of years as im only 15 so Im thinking of buying 2 ndx 800's with either a pioneer, behringer or allen and heath mixer, depending on the price and what you would advise me to do. I found the pair of numark 800's for £390
Thanks again
Andy

again i wouldn't get numark or behringer products
they break
buy once buy right
cheaper in the long run

I've had soundlabs, some dodgy brand I can't remember the name and currently technics turntables

Mixers I've had 3 numarks, a Gemini, and a behringer. They all were fine for the price but didn't last.

My pioneer mixer on the other hand I've had for 8 years with no problems

What I'm saying is if u buy cheap gear it will live up to its price. Ok so ur 12 and dont have the money. Well save, get a job doing something, look out for bargains. If u want something badly enough u will find a way to get it.
Hell, all I did in my teens was find ways to get money for records

Yeah I know what you mean mate, what pioneer mixer did you have aswell? And yeah im in that situation where I need just a part time job or something but id prefer to do it in a way in which I enjoy like on the internet because im quite good at computers etc. Also I used to have a paper round for about 2 years but I quit due to exams so im getting this money by selling my xbox and using other money ive got. Let me know if you want any technical stuff doing like graphics design etc mate and thanks for that, ill keep a look out for bargins ;)

Back
Top Bottom