Can you help me?

Inwonderland

Jungle Jamboree
Hello. I've just joined up in search of advice:

I want to get my boyfriend some vinyl for his birthday (not til september), preferably some really, really old, classic dnb or jungle. the kind of tune he can slip into a set and make everyone go "Wow, haven't heard that for years" and "He knows his stuff" and so on.

Any good suggestions? (Also good places to buy from, preferably in London/ close to Oxford)

Any ideas you can give me would be fab! x

Inwonderland said:
Hello. I've just joined up in search of advice:

I want to get my boyfriend some vinyl for his birthday (not til september), preferably some really, really old, classic dnb or jungle. the kind of tune he can slip into a set and make everyone go "Wow, haven't heard that for years" and "He knows his stuff" and so on.

Any good suggestions? (Also good places to buy from, preferably in London/ close to Oxford)

Any ideas you can give me would be fab! x
Are you willing to order off the Internet?

Go on eBay and find some old jungle compliations from around 93/94. They're usually in a brightly coloured sleeve entitled Welcome To The Jungle or something like that, and they have 8 tracks on them.
I've found loads of classics on them like Higher Sense - Cold Fresh Air, Deep Blue - Helicopter Tune, Dillinja - Deep Deadly Subs, DJ Hype - Cops, M Beat - Incredible, Prizna/Demolition Man - Fire, old Randall, Andy C, Ant Miles, Goldie, etc (y)

Ok, this is all good stuff, thanks guys. BUT:
what size should I get? EP, LP, single? Or doesn't it matter?
And does speed matter? i.e. the speed at which it plays "normally", 33, 45, 78 etc.
I know nothing about buying vinyl... unless its just for playing right through on a good old fashioned record player with a cover and everything.

I'd love to find one of those tunes thats dubbed "the first ever drum and bass" or something. I know that "bug in the bassbin" had a huge influence on the music's development and was considering getting that: but would it be impossible to mix with anything else?
sorry for my complete and utter naivety! :confused:

Inwonderland said:
And does speed matter? i.e. the speed at which it plays "normally", 33, 45, 78 etc.
I know nothing about buying vinyl... unless its just for playing right through on a good old fashioned record player with a cover and everything.

I'd love to find one of those tunes thats dubbed "the first ever drum and bass" or something. I know that "bug in the bassbin" had a huge influence on the music's development and was considering getting that: but would it be impossible to mix with anything else?

the first dnb tune was probably lennie d ice - we r i.e., but that would be way too slow to mix with anything.

get him the original of dillinja - deadly deep subs, usually goes for £20 - £30.

i always find a good tune from the not so distant past 2001 to drop in a mix is dom n roland - immagination ,always gets a good response...also origin unknown - long dark tunnel still gets a wkd response

Inwonderland said:

Most dnb is pressed one tune a side, so it sounds nice and loud, thats preferable. Some of these compiles Indi is mentioning would have more tunes on a side, thats cool if youre scoring a classic. It'll most likely be pressed at 45, but that doesnt matter too much either. As far as LP, EP or single, just buy what you can afford, the guys lucky enough by the sounds of it.

yes any real old stuff wont beat mix with modern dnb, too slow. go for something after 93-94 to get the right bpm.

deadaelus said:
Bad Company - The Nine
:chainsaw: (y)

Nuff said.

PS: keep an eye out, and dont pay too much for this one cause there are lots of copies out there.

"Wow, haven't heard that for years" and "He knows his stuff" this will not make people say.

Cheers you guys, you're all so lovely and helpful!
Most people won't tell you jack about vinyl: if you don't already know it, you're not cool enough to be told.
ANYway i'm doing the right thing: the boyf happened to mention he'd love some really old tunes on vinyl so i was like wooooo. But then he goes "yeah like some classic oldskooly smiley ravecore type stuff". He's obviously been hanging around with me too much...
:crazy:

Inwonderland said:
Cheers you guys, you're all so lovely and helpful!
Most people won't tell you jack about vinyl: if you don't already know it, you're not cool enough to be told.
ANYway i'm doing the right thing: the boyf happened to mention he'd love some really old tunes on vinyl so i was like wooooo. But then he goes "yeah like some classic oldskooly smiley ravecore type stuff". He's obviously been hanging around with me too much...
:crazy:

hardcore is good, but expensive. if you want a classic tune like, gem 77 - never felt this way, then you will have to pay about 20 or 25 pounds (i payed 20 pounds for mine). thing is, if he doesn't mix oldskool already he wont be able to blend it with anything at all.

Inwonderland said:
No thats the point: he wants to start mixing it but obviously if he's going to collect it he has to start somewhere...

well, you could get him some of the slamming vinyl collections, that would be cheaper. you can get them off ebay and they have all the classics on them, like 'sound for the underground' & 'far out', which individually would be £18 & £10 respectivly. up to you though.

look, dont worry everyone: its classic dnb, classic jungle, old skool original ravey stuff (i.e. Altern8 type era), old skool hardcore.
Dont even care anymore. Maybe i'll get him a comb. For his shaved head.....

Back
Top Bottom