Can laptop DJz make it in dnb?

Chazy D

I am a dnb dj but i use my laptop and a pair of VCI 100 decks.
I'm thinking of switching to a pair of cdj 800 mk2's because of so many people saying that its cheating. i'm confident with my abilities but am unsure of what to do. any opinions?

in the future, for sure. yeah.
but right now, no way.
it's too closed off and set back in 'vinyl mode' for people to really push forward with laptops. cdjs still get frowned upon to an extent....
in about 5 years, i think it'll be a totally different game, laptop djs will be more widely accepted, and hardware like serato will become a standard installation in most club set ups, like it is in the USA already.

end of the day, it's your call man. do what you feel comfortable doing and don't listen to anyone else.

although you might not get many bookings that way ;)

not any that started from laptop. i've seen grooverider, marcus intelex, drumsound and simom bl smith using serato. but they've been in the game years, so they've earnt their status.
it's not like they've just started out and are using it.

i don't get why people give laptop users such a hard time, when cdjs are basicly exactly the same thing.

oh right, well if the public and other established djs arn't going to accept laptop djz then I guess ill have to switch

personally i'd say u wouldnt be able to make it if you dont/cant mix vinyl but all out of top djs are embracing the new technology using cd decks and computers

I cant wait to see DJ Fresh's sound weapon, looks fuckin sick!

Still, he doesn't want to be High Contrast... just to play out (I assume).

Laptops will not get you much respect in a 'proper' dnb club setting but if you take one to a gig where people are just out to enjoy themselves, they won't give a damn as long as the music is jumping and they have a chance to score.

The console watching gits will still sneer at CDJs as well as laptops so if you want their 'respect', you have to play vinyl. And make sure its as obscure vinyl as possible so they can trainstop.

Play what you want. If you don't mind the smarmy gits who are not playing (there's a reason for that), play your laptop.

not any that started from laptop. i've seen grooverider, marcus intelex, drumsound and simom bl smith using serato. but they've been in the game years, so they've earnt their status.
it's not like they've just started out and are using it.

i don't get why people give laptop users such a hard time, when cdjs are basicly exactly the same thing.

see thats the thjing Riisu...with Serato, you need to know how to mix...with vinyl!
so whether u use that or not..you still need some skill

if i was them i would use it too! fuck luggin around a box of dubs when all u need is 1 laptop...2 records and a library of music on your HD

not strictly true. i bought serato having not touched vinyl and i was mixing within hours. allbeit not to any great standard, but the beat matching was more or less spot on
every mix - which would have taken me months, not minutes to get to grips with.

i remember downloading songs and then playing them without having heard them and hitting it everytime.

EQing was a different matter all together, and learning about phrases and cueing too. but that all comes with time and practice, whether it be vinyl/cdj/laptops. all the other bits aside mixing.

but i switched to vinyl because i just found it more fun, and a lot more enjoyable. also, when you hit a mix is so much more rewarding. and i found with serato, having a choice of x ammount of songs infront of you is overwhelming, and you get bored of it really quickly.

vinyl, the fun never ever ends.

thats my 2 pence anyway.

Yeah I understand exactly what your saying.
to be honest, I just cannot afford vinyl as im only a student at college studying Music Technology.

These are the decks that I have:

http://www.harmony-central.com/ProductImages/Large/000009684.jpg

Well if you ant got no honey then i think you should stick to the laptop bruv.....vynls cost a bomb, thats if you wanna keep your recored box upto date...i think you shoud stay with the laptop for a while untill ya get a job and then go out and treat ya self....or try and make doe with the laptop and fake decks/mixer...lol

not strictly true. i bought serato having not touched vinyl and i was mixing within hours. allbeit not to any great standard, but the beat matching was more or less spot on
every mix - which would have taken me months, not minutes to get to grips with.

i remember downloading songs and then playing them without having heard them and hitting it everytime.

EQing was a different matter all together, and learning about phrases and cueing too. but that all comes with time and practice, whether it be vinyl/cdj/laptops. all the other bits aside mixing.

but i switched to vinyl because i just found it more fun, and a lot more enjoyable. also, when you hit a mix is so much more rewarding. and i found with serato, having a choice of x ammount of songs infront of you is overwhelming, and you get bored of it really quickly.

vinyl, the fun never ever ends.

thats my 2 pence anyway.

So wat are you running your music/mixes with/on Riisu??? :rave:

Back
Top Bottom