Can creativity be taught?

MisterApe

8bit junkie
VIP Junglist
As the title says, is creativity something that can be taught?
I'm finding it more and more interesting that over the past few years I'm leaning more and more towards "no".

Be it music or with art in general, technique on the other hand is something that can be taught.
But good technique does not mean you have a good grasp on flow and making something interesting to see or hear.

So I'm curious what the general opinion here on this forum is about this subject.

I think creativity cannot be taught; but to elaborate further, I feel that a concept as vague as creativity becomes completely esoteric when it is treated as something you have more or less of.

Who defines something as being more or less creative? It's esoteric specifically to singular interpretation.

Have you read the reviews of Beethoven's 1st after it's debut in Vienna?

And how do you define creativity? Webster's defines creativity as "the ability to create", and to create means to bring into existence that which before was not. So it could be said that all people are equally creative because we all bring forth into existence the stream through time that is our reality; everything we do is our creation, and, as such, we are all equally creative as the singularity of everything. We are all at the same point in time and bringing forth everything we perceive into the fresh new moment that is now.

Conclusively, creativity cannot be taught, because how could you possibly know it any better?

TL;dr
I don't think it can be taught as such, but I think you can grow, start experimenting, which is essentially being creative. The bolder you go, the more creative you become

i think creativity is entirely subjective. for example, i find lots of different genres of dnb highly creative and interesting to listen to. if im listening to really deep minimal stuff, and my friend who only likes proper fast neuro stuff is in the room, he will say how boring it is and that its one sub note with some drums over the top. i however see it as more than that. much the same way that if im out and here some schreechy bro step, i will fail to see the creativity thats apparently present, but jugdging by how many people will be in that room going mad to it, there must be something creative about it.

basically, i dont think you can really say if someone is creative or not based on your own opinion. you could argue that doing anything that hasnt been done before is technically creative

You can be taught how to be more creative, but not taught creativity itself.

For example you can tell someone to look deeper into pieces of music, or deeper into a piece of art, and they may find creativity.

"thaugt" might be the wrong word but you can train your creativity I've heard. Say you spend an hour working on a tune and afterwards you reward your brain with doing something you like, perhaps go play some games or whatevs. And your brain works that way that it will make you stay creative for longer periods of time, after repetadly rewarding your brain. Saw some documentary once about the brain n stuff..

Might not have been the answer you where looking for but I thought I could share some knowledge anyways.

some negatively repped my comment so obviously doesnt agree with what i said. id quite like to know what part of it they feel so negatively about

creativity comes from the right hemisphere of the brain, so providing your brain is intact, you are probably somewhat creative. i found this out over google

Some try hard, others get it easy. If you're not as good as the next man, try your best to be the best of yourself.

TL;dr
I don't think it can be taught as such, but I think you can grow, start experimenting, which is essentially being creative. The bolder you go, the more creative you become

Yes.

You can't teach a creativity as such, you must understand your blockers and bad habits.
Don't fall in love with your own sound if you're not sure about it - deleting that kind of sounds gives a more freedom for you. Freedom gives a more creativity.

Yes, I think that you can grow up as a creator and start your own experiments with yourself. Belive YOURSELF and tune will come by itself, and remember to give a time for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom