Camo & Krooked mad on side chaining

chewlay

Ez ppl ,

Been told Camo & Krooked cain the fuck out of side chaining on there beats and basslines to help give them better rhythm. I have side chained before but want to put in in use more especially basslines.

Any advice please ?

I sidechain quite alot, and not just on the bass.

Sidechaining the bass to the kick pretty hard can give some interesting results although I dont do it all the time. Sometimes hard sidechaining a pad, or melody to the kick or snare can get good results too.

id try to sidechain not only the comp on something but lets say, the amount of chorus etc. at least thats what i hear when i hear tunes like nothing is older than yesterday etc ..

Advice? Experiment, basically. Find what you like. :)

I usually only sidechain if I'm using a bass which is dominating the track a bit. Which is most of the time...you can try sidechaining with a muted kick too, and that'll give you almost total control over the compression effect.

Been diggin' the hell out of the sidechain function on Logic's ES2, assigning a parameter to change upon activation of the sidechain is wicked! Set up a full midi drum loop as the sidechain to carefully selected parameters and boom! Instant synth grooves! Might post up an example in the morning...

Aside from that I usually only use sidechaining a la Deadmau5-style.

It's a very simple and easy way to deal with drum and sub interactions especially if you want to preserve some low end on your phatter drums samples for that extra punch. 8)

atticuh said:
Does Logic have some sick EQ's included?

Not 100% on what you mean but here's a list of EQ's that ship with Logic 9 (Express) and should come with Pro aswell, though Pro might have a couple more.

Channel EQ
Fat EQ
Legacy
>> DJ EQ
>> Silver EQ
Single Band
>> High Cut
>> High Pass Filter
>> High Shelving EQ
>> Low Cut
>> Low Pass Filter
>> Low Shelving EQ
>> Parametric EQ

They've work pretty well for me, although I haven't used them all. The channel EQ is the basic EQ and when you use it, it gives you a nice visual graphic at the top of the mixer channel for a quick reference of how you have all your track EQ'd.

i dont think i have ever made a EDM track that doesnt side-chain the kick and the bass together, dont forget that side-chain compression is only one type of Sidechain.....sidechained filters for eg are pant wettingly good

when i been messin around on fl i tried sidechaining pads, reeces, melodies, all have their own uses but i never actually used them in a tune, i never seem to finish tunes so i should stop playing around and concentrate on that first, but just thought i'd share my tweakin inquisitive finds with ya.

extremely heavy side chaining use 3 or more!! compressors on one channel yields some crazzy results. spec on pads n stuff

I just imagined what this would sound like and FlyLo instantly came to mind...

Anyhow, I will definitely try giving this a go later! All three compressors using the same source as a trigger or different sources?

Back
Top Bottom